UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

Mon May 28, 2012 7:18 pm

loaster wrote:
Do you think they'll add "Now even more scary" onto the Sub-terra TV adds ?

No. I don't. There is no need. It is now ticking the box which it was designed to do at the start.

:)

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 7:31 pm

How many of these improvements were suggestions that have been posted here? A little bit of credit would be nice if these boards were scoured for ideas. The staggered dropping of the towers seems the standout change that has been suggested here to me.

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 7:36 pm

They're aren't anything inside the attraction now, that was previously suggested on here...

I don't think so anyway.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Why would the forum need crediting for ideas? It's perfectly plausible that any ideas created by Studios were created purely by them. They may well have scoured the boards for ideas - but we don't know that. Besides, any ideas posted here are done so purely because we, as a userbase, care for the park and its attractions and want them to be improved in any way possible so therefore offer up ideas and suggestions in our spare time.

While crediting ideas would be a lovely idea in theory, in practice what would it really mean to anyone?
ImageImage

AstroDan

Mon May 28, 2012 7:39 pm

The staggered drops have been in place since opening.

Longy

Mon May 28, 2012 7:44 pm

AstroDan wrote:
The staggered drops have been in place since opening.

I think they've only been noticed recently because of the improved lighting during the show.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 7:50 pm

^ Ah, quite possibly that was the case. :)

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 pm

They have been dropping the same since open day, hence why they all do the little finishing thud when they're released one at a time :)

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm

I don't know if it's literally a case of someone pushing individual buttons or a computer randomisation, but on my ride the towers fell and rose virtually in sync.

The suspense element of having considerably staggered drops would be impressive I think.

Sazzle

Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Ohohoh!! Honestly I don't mean to be a bully, but the idea of the park crediting TTF is quite amusing. Can you *imagine* if they put up a little plaque or something by the exit baggage collection, heralding the improvements and attributing them to "Towerstimes Forum and its Users"! Ohhhh I lol'ed.

Sub Terra is undeniably an improved experience, but I don't think I'll ever feel its 100% if its left in its current state. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but I didn't get what I wanted :( <-- they can put their apology on the plaque.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Dormiens-Dave

Mon May 28, 2012 8:26 pm

I do have to say if i was a staff member at Towers now i would be rolling on the floor laughing, as Sazzle says we really are a drop in the ocean to Towers. Yes they look at the forums as it's free feedback and they can see how there rides stack up against others across the world but really we are not at the top of their consideration.

The creatives at Merlin also didn't need TTF's help in the changes for Sub-Terra, though maybe some suggestions might have inspired a minor change there are many other forums that also get read (we are not unique). Yes we have had some amazing support from Towers especially this year with the Birthday event but i think we have to be realistic about our influence here and i don't think its that high.

Keep posting ideas and feedback as i am sure they will get seen but it's no more powerful than those touch screen guest feedback doodahs on park.

EDIT: TowersTimes Team.... removing significance from the forums since 2002!
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Mon May 28, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 8:51 pm

The ride wasn't what it was at the beginning due to running out of time it seems, most of these additions were planned from the start.

And now, who cares if we have a few moaners on ttf. The public actually genuinely love it now. That's all that matters!

Dormiens-Dave

Mon May 28, 2012 8:57 pm

It's not about people being moaners, my personal 2 issues are (my own and not that of the team)

1) Negativity should be balanced, don't be negative for the hell of it and back up your arguments, the same goes for blind positivity too!

2) I just don't want people thinking TT is anything more than what it is, a committed Towers fan-site, we are not a hot-line to the park management.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Mon May 28, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm not sure why the discussion regarding 'credit' has continued for so long, I clearly accepted that it wasn't necessary earlier in the post.

I was simply suggesting that any ideas posted in this thread that were subsequently implemented or used for inspiration, should be given a nod.

Many things have changed as a direct result of what has been posted on here, and without acknowledgment - the 'iPod' grabber scandal for instance.

Dozens of staff members read these message boards, but in this case that does not appear to be relevant.

I've been monitoring feedback myself and approaching people for their views, and opinion is now greatly improved, which is great.
Last edited by Tom G on Mon May 28, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dormiens-Dave

Mon May 28, 2012 9:18 pm

It's not aimed just at you Tom, there has been a growing assumption about the power of TT for a while now and we don't want people thinking we are actually of any use... so it seemed the optimum time to nip it in the bud :)

rightbackgranty
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 9:22 pm

not yet ridden NST, but the changes sound great.

Wonder if they could add another screen to the final lifts to help aid the narrative. I know a lot is going on during the "ascent", but 10 seconds of "emergency escape: decontamination zone" flashing on a screen just before you exit the lift could be enough to give people the gist of what is going on.

Though, a slightly ambiguous ending always gets people talking! Still hear people arguing over whether the "blood" on nemesis is from the monster or soldiers or the riders themselves!

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
It's not aimed just at you Tom, there has been a growing assumption about the power of TT for a while now and we don't want people thinking we are actually of any use... so it seemed the optimum time to nip it in the bud :)

Cool, thanks for that  8)

I think a few dozen of us could easily equal one John Wardley in terms of ideas, so don't expect them to employ anyone else as a consultant once he finally retires :lol:

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 29, 2012 12:06 am

On the subject of credit it’s interesting that the Theme Park Industry doesn't really give credit at all. Books have acknowledgements, shows have curtain call, films and games have credits but Rides don't tend to have anything. Sure some names seep through, John Wardley being the prime example, but these are the big names only. I suppose there are the tomb stones in Disney's Haunted Mansion but they are a fairly recent addition and normal in memory of past Imagineers.

Personally I’m not sure what I think of this. While being able to appreciate the people who worked on it would be nice their never seems to be a need. I remember watching a documentary about Pirates of the Caribbean once and one of the people on that started talking about the way they liked the lack of credits as everyone was just happy to get involved just in the knowledge that they were involved (or something like that).
ImageImage

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 29, 2012 9:48 am

Alright, so this discussion about whether we influence Merlin...

I think everyone realises that the “show of hands” for suggestions on a 1 ride is huge, I just think people are hopeful and are just EXERCISING their creative minds.

What I reckon though is when a creative person in charge of something  they want to use THEIR ideas where they can. They must have ohhh say 20% creative freedom to have ideas but the rest is dictated or basically given by the marketing textbook/feedback. And if Merlin is smart they WILL be listening to us and it doesn’t matter who we are its not about being an enthusiast or just the normal GP – its simply what is wanted MOST across the board.

I would be inclined to believe that the update to sub terra was always on the cards, possibly even a deliberate.
Another to remember is the enthusiast probably aren’t that far of the actual designers/marketers, I’d be willing to bet many of the ideas we have, have already been had by people at Merlin and vice versa. So I definitely think that if they DONT listen to us then they SHOULD - Its always the more commited, obsessive audience that has a better perspective on things and more refined taste, whether its music, food, themeparks- but its going to be the marketing side of peoples brains that listens to us cause the creative side wants to use its own ideas (but then again the creative side wants to please people and the ego side will steal ideas and pass them off as its own  :lol:).
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Of course they will look at these boards, and of course they will occasionally look at ideas given on here and think 'not bad' - but that doesn't mean we have a huge influence on Merlin and Towers. Whilst things have been changed thanks to TTF before (i.e. last year's Fantagate), all of this year's issues have been rectified by the GP to be honest. Whilst the furore that any issues have caused on here will have caused Merlin to take note - we are simply a drop in the ocean to them in terms of visitors.

The planned closure of Subs and Ents, the reduced opening hours, the Skyride closure - all of these may have been complained about by us, but it was when the GP got wind and started to moan that had the real effect on Merlin and Towers. Same with Terry. Had the GP and senior management enjoyed the ride at opening and given it favourable reviews, I severely doubt that much would have been done, even if we had complained.

The GP is King in these situations, and we are simply a small influence on that.
ImageImage