UK theme parks from another point of view!

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:45 pm

I have just got back from the Resort and I am delighted to say I have finally experienced Sub-Terra with all of it's effects working! I think the attraction is now a great addition to the Resort's line-up and although I knew what was coming, the leg ticklers and back pokers scared the sh!t out of me every time, and it seemed to frighten all the other guests as well! Also wind effects have been added to the top of the ride chamber as the egg hatches!  :D

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Its really good to see that the park are making these changes, as said before when Hex opened it was a poor experience but they tweaked it and made a masterpiece, luckily back then social media didn;t exist to bring the bad PR they had this time around.

I do think however Sub-Terra and Th13teen need to make Alton realise they need a longer testing period for their rides before opening to ensure things like this don't happen again, they knew they where opening a below par ride on opening day and if they where not so rushed i imagine they could have given us sub-terra 1.5 on the 24th of March instead of the first week of April!

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
Its really good to see that the park are making these changes, as said before when Hex opened it was a poor experience but they tweaked it and made a masterpiece, luckily back then social media didn;t exist to bring the bad PR they had this time around.

I do think however Sub-Terra and Th13teen need to make Alton realise they need a longer testing period for their rides before opening to ensure things like this don't happen again, they knew they where opening a below par ride on opening day and if they where not so rushed i imagine they could have given us sub-terra 1.5 on the 24th of March instead of the first week of April!

Exactly! Disney rides undergo months of 'Soft openings' before hand and I think this should be done with hotel guests before March :)

Are you thirsty?

AstroDan

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Really glad to see changes being implemented. And, as far as I am aware, there is more to come.

I feel that as each month passes, Sub Terra will gradually become a solid attraction which people enjoy rather than something everyone just takes the mickey out of, as happened opening weekend.

Looking forward to riding this on Saturday now.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Went on the ride for the first time today. I agree it could have been a lot better, but my party, and most other guests, came off laughing hysterically at the whole experience. With a very small amount of hindsight, however, you realise it wasn't fantastic, and that's not just due to you being removed from the 'atmosphere' which is the ride's strongest feature. The point is, the initial reaction proves the ride does and can improve on the initial 'wow' factor which entertains and thrills.

I think the best piece of advice I could give about improving the ride would be about slowing it down and making use of the dramatic timing. The actors stuck out for this very reason. But the egg sequence is just over in myriad lights and sounds and tickles and a drop. There were lots of 'punches' in there that they good, but each one needs to be felt on their own so the whole thing unfolds in the best way possible. The egg splurting open and being splashed with water was perfect. But you need a moment to take that in, and to take in that a creature is scuttling round before you drop. The ticklers should be intermittent not constant. Just little things like this that tell the story. This needn't increase the length of the ride overall, as I gather that throughput is an issue in itself.

I just feel that, if the strongest asset of the ride is this atmospheric/cinematic experience, then it should be organized with a sense of unfolding horror in mind, like how a film builds suspense. It doesn't blur everything into one. Suspense and pace are key.
Formerly "Dagoo"

CJH
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Hey Dee-Bloody-Jay      (id: daboywunda) [He has upgraded] [ONLINE NOW]

... said on Tue Apr 10th 2012 23:31 ...

went on Sunday... It's amazing.. As long as you don't know what's going to happen... But if, like me, you are scared of lifts, even though you KNOW you're not going any-where and you're on ground level, the whole experience makes you believe it.. It's horrible

This is a comment from a Gay website, from a member of the GP.

Seems to be being recieved well.
Chris 21 Manchester

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Jon wrote:
I think the best piece of advice I could give about improving the ride would be about slowing it down and making use of the dramatic timing. The actors stuck out for this very reason. But the egg sequence is just over in myriad lights and sounds and tickles and a drop. There were lots of 'punches' in there that they good, but each one needs to be felt on their own so the whole thing unfolds in the best way possible. The egg splurting open and being splashed with water was perfect. But you need a moment to take that in, and to take in that a creature is scuttling round before you drop. The ticklers should be intermittent not constant. Just little things like this that tell the story. This needn't increase the length of the ride overall, as I gather that throughput is an issue in itself.

I just feel that, if the strongest asset of the ride is this atmospheric/cinematic experience, then it should be organized with a sense of unfolding horror in mind, like how a film builds suspense. It doesn't blur everything into one. Suspense and pace are key.

I've still not ridden it.  But I'm in no rush,it sounds like the longer i leave it the more chance there is of it evolving into a decent experience.

The comment about things needing to be slowed down reminds me of what I have said about Th13teen - where I think it should be held for just a second after the drop, so people can take in what has happened and wonder how they will get out.  But such things hurt throughput, which seems to be uber important.

And do all the ticklers work at the same time?  I hope not - because seeing other riders react while not experiencing anything yourself always causes confusion / apprehension.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 pm

bradpeet wrote:
And do all the ticklers work at the same time?  I hope not - because seeing other riders react while not experiencing anything yourself always causes confusion / apprehension.
There may be slight differences but it is hard to tell as it is so dark down there... You do hear lots of screams from other guests though xD
ImageImage

GoldWolf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:29 pm

I went on Sub-Terra yesterday, and found the experience very enjoyable!

The actors in the queueline and ride were very very believable, plus they were witty and funny and got the whole queue laughing! As for the ride itself, I loved it! I did lose my friends when we were being rushed into our seats however, which meant I sat on my own  :x , I understand that throughput is an issue, but if that had happened to someone who was extremely nervous and demanded to sit next to their friends, then it would take even longer to sort things out. I found the drop to be very surprising actually, especially when the other tower dropped first which left us all in suspense! The 'tentacles' and back pokers were very effective and had everyone screaming and kicking. One improvement to be made unfortunately would be that everyone saw the egg flip from a whole to a cracked egg before the drop, which ruined the effect.  :|
The last lift was very good! It actually felt like we were going up (instead of the first one not feeling like it was going down) and when the lights went out it was admittedly scary.  8)

Still some "is that it"s but overall a positive feedback from other customers! A 40 minute wait is a bit much for this ride, but that's obviously because it's new.

Well done Alton Towers.  :)

Mi-Nigle
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:49 pm

GoldWolf wrote:
I did lose my friends when we were being rushed into our seats however, which meant I sat on my own  :x

This is something I forgot to mention. Since there is no real batching to speak of, and no one knows what's going to happen, there's no chance for people to 'buddy up' beforehand. After coming out of the lifts there's no one to tell you where to sit based on the number in your group so it's very easy to lose your friends in the darkness.

This works well on Hex because you're not being rushed into seats by the ride ops and you have chance to see either row 1 or 2 and pick one. On other flat rides it works because you can see what you're about to ride so you can choose who to sit with. When I first walked into Sub-Terra's chamber I didn't even notice the seats round the edge till I was right next to them and in the busy darkness I was a little confused.

It's not a major issue but it's no fun riding with strangers really. On the other hand, if guests are told before the chamber they will be sitting round the edges it might compromise the sense of mystery. I don't really know what I'd prefer.

(I've not ridden since the improvements so I've no idea if batching is covered at all now)

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:52 pm

It has always been shown on the lift videos how to sit in the core. Where groups one and two should sit etc. It's why one group enters the lift before the next. However, people tend to stick to the lift sides as opposed to the front half and back half, so the batched groups end up mixed by the time you get to the ride.
ImageImage

Paul Morgster

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:19 pm

I see that people keep seeing the egg flip to a broken one before you drop, this is quite a bad flaw, kind of ruining the effect, hope it gets sorted. And yeah I don't see why you would end up alone, surely you would go sit with your mates anyway, and sit on the row you were deignated? can't be that difficult to figure out :p

Mi-Nigle
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Well it needs to be made more clear. Couldn't hear much else in the the lift other than everyone chatting. I wasn't even aware we were designated rows. When the lift doors opened everyone just seemed to merge together again.

Longy

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:24 pm

I think people seeing the egg flip has only happened twice, which isn't great, but it's far from bad.
The smoke machine doesn't work, and the lights don't go out I'm guessing, so you see the egg flip.
I expected this, as things never want to work when you want them to.

At least these are the only cases we've heard so far, so they must be getting it right now.
I'm expecting the effects to work from now on, so this shouldn't be an issue.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Paul Morgster wrote:
I see that people keep seeing the egg flip to a broken one before you drop, this is quite a bad flaw, kind of ruining the effect, hope it gets sorted. And yeah I don't see why you would end up alone, surely you would go sit with your mates anyway, and sit on the row you were deignated? can't be that difficult to figure out :p
You're batched in a group of 10... This obviously means groups are kept together. However, in the lifts at the start, each group is meant to occupy either the front half or the back half of the lift. Then the front group exit and fill up the first tower and the back group fill up the second tower. As the groups don't stick to their allotted half of the lift, it means that groups are mixed and thus when people "stick with their mates" but don't stick to their originally batched group it means people end up split. I saw it happen on 2 out of my 3 rides...
ImageImage

Paul Morgster

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes thanks, I have been on I have seen how it works and each time everyone followed where there were supposed to go. But yeah I guess sometimes people don't follow simple rules lol. But my point is if I was split up I would ask others to move, not sit on my own, and the ride hosts should make sure the groups sit where they are supposed to anyway, can't be that difficult to manage?

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Paul Morgster wrote:
Yes thanks, I have been on I have seen how it works and each time everyone followed where there were supposed to go. But yeah I guess sometimes people don't follow simple rules lol. But my point is if I was split up I would ask others to move, not sit on my own, and the ride hosts should make sure the groups sit where they are supposed to anyway, can't be that difficult to manage?
They're on a time limit. I've seen the ride hosts apologise to anyone affected and point them to an empty seat - but there isn't the time to get everyone to re-arrange around so people can go in the 'right' place. If it happened every time, the ride would be delayed and a backlog would be caused.
ImageImage

magicmanben
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm surprised to see that these changes are making such a huge impact. With the addition of the video, and the egg flip before the drop, and the lights turning off at the lift, I'm struggling to see how this has turned this into a great ride. I do enjoy it, however, no more than I did on opening day.

I'm sure if the changes where in reverse, meaning the ride is now how it was on opening day, members would still be prazing AT. Maybe its no so much the 'improvements' but just changes people like to see.

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 pm

I don't think people are suddenly saying its an amazing ride now but the improvements have made it "better" and hopefully more changes will come

magicmanben
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:49 pm

hopefully!  :D I would love to see something... anything done with the final corridor after the second lift! Even if they add some black plastic at the end like they did at the entrance. At least then it wouldn't seem like it just ends.
Last edited by magicmanben on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.