UK theme parks from another point of view!

Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:11 pm

mrbrightside wrote:
Compared to Th13teen, it certainly packs less of a punch in my opinion.

That was one of my first thoughts when I went on Sub-Terra as well. Th13teen seems to build the tension better as well, with the false drop and the darkness. I look forward to re-riding this though now they've made alterations to the experience.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:47 pm

mrbrightside wrote:

I've found it depends entirely on the weight of the gondola (or if you have any larger people on the ride).

If you have fewer people on it, or a person larger than you, then the drop is more enjoyable than thirteen. If it's full, or everyones same size, then it's mediocre. Interesting!

Blaze

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Coaster_Dude wrote:
Weight does not affect freefall, although the big peice of floor attached to the system will undoubtedly act like a big parachute and take some of the punch away from the drop.

Weight does affect it. It's only in a vacuum that weight has no effect. And even if speed wasn't affected, the drop would still be more forceful (F=M.a).

mrbrightside wrote:

I agree with that. The drop relies on shock more than force. I'm not sure how such small gondolas can have anywhere near the same force as an entire train, track and twice as many guests.

Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:13 pm

That's not how F=ma works, in this context F would be weight of the gondola in Newtons. I don't know the calculations behind air resistance but that does seem more reasonable that mass would affect how much air resistance is encountered. What we would consider a 'forceful' drop would be one that is a true freefall (a=9.8m/s^2) or one that is propelled downwards like a shot tower (a>9.8m/s^2). The forces we experience on rides are the accelerations (a) that we are put through, not the overall force (F) of the train/gondola/whatever.

Blaze

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:17 pm

That is true, actually, but you still drop faster with more mass when not in a vacuum.

Take two identical cups, fill one with water and drop them both. The one with water will land first.

Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Probably, I couldn't say for sure although I would have thought, depending on the cups, that the difference between the two would be very marginal. The same applies in this context, I imagine the gondola is pretty massive even when empty so I can't really see how the amount of fat people on the tower will significantly affect how the drop feels, that's essentially what I was trying to get at, in a roundabout way. I'd certainly be interested to see how much it does affect it though, TO THE LABORATORY!

Blaze

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:26 pm

It would have some effect, although I'm not sure how much. Depending on the people, you could add a decent 20% maybe, if you have 10 really heavy people.

Indeed, TO THE LABORATORY!

TomahawkTom
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I now understand why I never got good grades in science.  :|

djtruefitt

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:43 pm

After doing the ride on opening weekend, then last week and now this weekend, it has greatly improved and now feels like a completly different ride. It now has a story so you no longer get off the ride feeling confused. And it does feel alot more scary, especially with the louder sound effects and the darkness of the whole ride. The new voice clips and sound effects work very well and with the flashing red lights and strobes. The leg ticklers and back pokers also go off a few times compared to just once which is better. And finally the lights in the top room dont come on until you have got to the top, which means you no longer see all the loading platform and equipment.

The lifts also work better in total darkness at the end as you really dont know whats going on.

Yesterday when people were coming off I only heard positive reviews, compared to two weeks ago when it was 99% negative. I even saw some people yesterday rating it 10/10 on the review forms!

The only minor change I would like to see is in the lower room. The lights only come on very quick down there now so you dont really see much, I think some kind of nemesis eye or something that moves would work really well down there, rather than just static eggs.

Overall its a great new ride and I cant wait to see if any more changes happen over the next few weeks.

roary01
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Just back from a trip to the park today!!

I LOVE SUB-TERRA!!!
was really worried with the reviews but i think its a fantastic addition even managed a sneaky 2nd go before leaving...

The lift at the start is good, building up the story then into the main chamber, the leg tickler and back poker and water seriously scared everyone and filled the room with screams, was a fantastic ride!

definitely loved the rushing into the escape lift, then having the monster trying to get into the lift really finished off the ride...

i will definitely be riding this each time i visit!

aru
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Some people are saying that the floor attached to the ride gondolas is slowing the drop. Would it help if they drilled holes or added some vents to reduce air resistance?  :?

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:43 am

aru wrote:
Some people are saying that the floor attached to the ride gondolas is slowing the drop. Would it help if they drilled holes or added some vents to reduce air resistance?  :?

Yes it would... but then what is the point in having the floors in the first place? If you could clearly see that the room you are in has another floor below it you'd easily guess that the ride is about to drop.

It's important to remember that unlike Th13teen (which gives some clues as to what is about to happen) the Sub-Terra drop is meant to be a complete surprise.

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:39 am

Nightfall wrote:
aru wrote:

Yes it would... but then what is the point in having the floors in the first place? If you could clearly see that the room you are in has another floor below it you'd easily guess that the ride is about to drop.

It's important to remember that unlike Th13teen (which gives some clues as to what is about to happen) the Sub-Terra drop is meant to be a complete surprise.

But how many of the general public will see holes in the floor and then automatically click that it is going to drop and be a drop tower? Heck, I would say many wouldn't even realise the holes and are to concentrated on the Egg in the middle - or the seat they are about to sit in. Although putting holes in the gondola floor would have minimal impact anyway I would of thought.

Neuros
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:43 am

Having not been on this yet, this thread is proving very useful in my decision to go out of my way to go. It sounds good so far.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk.
Plugger and proud

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 am

Can't wait to ride sub terra now, after playing the simulator, it is really getting me hyped now :D
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Big Dave

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:33 pm

We may bash the park and their recent additions, but this park, like most of the UK is tight on money. They are not money grabbing like people say, they are trying hard to just make any profit!

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Crofty

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:49 pm

WHAT? Comparing the Parks budget to the UK economy is ridiculous.

The Park is only low on cash because of squeezed budgets from it's parent's. There's plenty of money and indeed towers try's to 'grab' as much as possible from it's punters. The problem is that however much they manage to get it doesn't get put back in, it just goes on to buy another set of fish tanks.

I'd like to see the park run as a Merlin Franchise so that Merlin can get a cut of their profits but Towers are free to utilise the fruits of their labour in whatever way they feel fit.

How demoralising must it be to work your guts out only to know that at the end of the year as a thank you they will probably cut the budget some more because you managed to do so well in the previous year.

Big Dave

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Alton Towers failed to make any profit last year and the hotels only scrapped a small profit too. Investment into new rides therefore will be low and not be as good as other parks overseas. Im not saying this is an excuse for installing poor qulaity rides, but at least give them a break as they are trying to do the best they can with a very small budget.

Also, from what I have heard recently, the new additions to Sub Terra, have made it a much better ride experience than it was a few weeks back. Ok it still might not be all that brilliant, but its certainly could be worse!
Last edited by Big Dave on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm sorry but Varney himself is always babbling on about how Merlin are extremely successful because of the staycation attitude because of the recession. The park had 3m visitors in 2010 and 2.7m last year. Business is booming and income is higher than ever.

Satch

Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:39 pm

They failed to make profit? Where exactly are you getting these figures from? As Crofty says, it's Merlin who tighten the purse strings.

Anyway, since December 2010 all trade and assets of Alton Towers have been sold to Merlin, who aren't required to file consolidated accounts as they use a Luxembourg address to register, so we will not in the future have any insight into their performance.