UK theme parks from another point of view!

starscrea85

Re: Ice Age - The 4-D Experience Discussion

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Its is fantastic and it always keep you on the egde of your seat and a great place to put it

starscream85

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 pm

A great experience and definitely money well spent and a great attraction for the familys and for everyone. Of all ages and great effects

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 am

To get around 5 years out of the ride, I'd take a contraversial desicion to alter the film every two years, maybe include one for all the four films.

Surely this would include rerideability and give Alton a excuse to extend the contract if they don't want to replace it. If they want it for longer (which I doubt) you could just repeat this cycle.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

aru
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:19 am

The film will last until Ice Age dies as a brand, and with a new film out this year I don't think we need to worry about that for the next few seasons. The average Alton Towers visitor goes once a year or every other year so I doubt guests will get bored of the film.

ukool
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 pm

I was surprised how much i enjoyed this attraction. Havnt not seen any of the ice age films i didnt know what to really expect.

Didnt wait to long to go in to the theater which was a good thing, and sat some were in the middle so got great effects.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2012 9:07 am

I thought this attraction was enjoyable and very well themed but I thought it was also lacking in some department, when I think of 4D I always think of Madame Tussauds Marvel 4D Cinema in London. I thought that was phenomenal, and although this was not at all bad, I do believe I went in there with expectations that were too high. I was rather shocked at the lack of real seating. I did enjoy the snow it was very well done though. Nice touches with the bubbles and the ambient lighting. And of course as a near 22 year old male, I'm not afraid to say that I did get quite a jump at the leg ticklers. Over all. It's definately worth a go.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

mapo
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2012 10:47 pm

First time watching a 3D and 4D film an loved every minute of it

After doing the walk of shame from Th13teen the missus suggested we go on
IceAge4D to cheer us up, it certainly worked

The park was really quiet so practically walked straight in with no queue
the cinema is very well themed, the 4D effects were also brilliant and the shop staff were
very helpful and polite

All in all an enjoyable experience that we did again the day after

JayMMayer

Mon May 07, 2012 3:10 pm

This certainly was a simply brilliant addition to the park. Having 'experienced' it on Sat 5th I thought it was amazing.

There was excellent theming outside and in, and I always love good theming.

Onto the queue. I found it rather strange how we were given the 3d glasses outside, I expected to be given them inside; (that doesn't really matter though). The mandatory photo thing was a bit confusing. To be honest it made me think we'd gone to the wrong place, seeing everyone on the opposite side of the fence. After that, the wait was quite long, but the Scrat videos seemed to keep everyone (including myself) amused.

So after that we entered. I was very impressed with the theming inside, and it looked like everyone had a good view of the screen. And the video begins. The 4d effects were very good, and used in some very effective places. Having heard that the video was just scenes from the Dawn of the Dinosaurs, I was pleasantly surprised by how well they had been put together. The video and effects seem to trigger lots of emotions from the audience, and the leg ticklers gave me quite a surprise.

As for re-rideability I would say that you could ride it again, just not in the same day.

If I had to say something bad about the attraction it would be the noise of the fans, but that certainly did not take away from the overall experience.

Well Done Alton Towers!

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 3:13 pm

I also went in for the first time on the 5th, and was suprised! Even my fiance, who HATES Ice Age, was impressed! The theming, and use of effects was great.

However, I HATE having to have my photo taken, and like above the noise of the fans was a bit too much at times. The ticklers certainly gave me quite a fright, aswell as a lot of the kids, judging by their crying as soon as they went off.

NoseyElephant
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2012 1:41 pm

I've just come back from a stay at the park and i have to say Ice Age was brilliant!
Theming was fantastic and the clips of film were very cleverly put together so that it all made sense and was still very funny.
The effects were also really good, and put it all the right places!

People are expressing concerns about it not have my re-rideabilty, but i have to say it does - saw it for the first time on monday (7th) and then went and watched it again on thursday (10th) and it was still just as good - the leg ticklers made me jump even though i knew they were coming!!

Well done AT!

saxineno
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Visited the attraction today and I was really impressed!

Queue time said 40 minutes, which nearly put us off (we had three small children in the group), but blokey giving out glasses said it was more like 20 minutes, so we took his word for it.  I didn't mind the green screen photo but I expected to be able to see it straight away on the screen.  Turned out the screen showed just a static image and you had to wait until after the show to see the silly picture!

We easily made it into the next showing, so it really was only a 20 minute wait, and the scrat videos did keep us entertained.  I wondered whether the 3D glasses were given to us early because some of the scrat videos were 3D, but no they're not, I'm guessing there would be a myriad of health and safety issues if they tried that one!

The film itself was brilliant, and the effects were all perfectly in sync.  My 2 year old daughter did get a little bit frightened towards the end (big dinosaur goes rarrrrrr!) but otherwise seemed to enjoy it.

I found the 4D effects more subtle than a lot of other 4D films I've experienced.  There were no silly vibrations for vibration's sake, and all the effects complemented the story well. 

I wasn't particularly impressed when we exited through the "New for 2012 Ice Age 4D Toy Shop", as it's pretty much the same as the old shop, with a bit of Ice Age merchandise knocking about.

I'm not sure we'd visit this every time we go to Alton Towers, but we probably would occasionally.  To be honest I'd still prefer a live show with proper actors, but the attraction certainly exceeded my expectations!

James
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Resort partners with the Met Office and ITV to find the nation’s youngest meteorologist to test the conditions of its latest park attraction

To celebrate the arrival of its coolest attraction yet, Ice Age  The 4-D Experience, Alton Towers Resort and Fox Consumer Products has teamed up with the Met Office and ITV to launch a nationwide search for the UK’s youngest ever weather presenter. Entries to become the Ice Age 4-D Junior Weather Idol open today!

Entries will be narrowed to ten budding meteorologist finalists who will then attend an audition on-site at Alton Towers Resort’s 4-D Cinema.  The young meteorologists will have to keep their cool as they present the weather in front of a panel of professionals inside the nation’s only sub-zero cinema. With the cinema’s icy blasts, freezing snow, gusty winds and rain, it’s sure to be a mammoth challenge.  Manny himself would agree!

The Ice Age 4-D Junior Weather Idol panel of professionals is comprised of Met Office meteorologists, Alton Towers Resort representatives and even Scrat from the Ice Age films. The grand prize winner of the Weather Idol competition will have the amazing opportunity to film their own weather report at the Met Office and ITV’s weather studio and record a real-life weather bulletin to be broadcasted on Fun Kids Radio, the UK’s only radio station for kids.

Mona Lukha, Met Office Broadcast Manager said: “Presenting the weather is not as easy at it looks and in the extreme conditions of the Alton Towers Resort’s 4-D cinema, it will be even harder. This is a great opportunity for budding weather presenters to experience for themselves what it’s like to present out on location. ”

For your chance to be one of the Ice Age 4-D Junior Weather Idol finalists, enter at
http://www.altontowers.com/events/ice-a ... ther-idol/

Ice Age The 4-D Experience launched at Alton Towers on 24th March, in association with Fox Consumer Products.  This completely immersive 4-D experience takes the Ice Age action from the big screen and brings it directly to the viewer by combining 3-D film elements from the third film in the franchise with an exhilarating display of synchronized physical effects. Guests can feel the cold blasts of the arctic winds, sense the vibrations when a stampeding Mother T-Rex goes bounding by them, and much more!

-Ends-

Logo:

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:36 pm

ATTRACTION IMPROVEMENTS

As some of you may know Ice Age: The 4D Experience, uses wooden '4D' benches to enhance the guests experience, using vibrations, bumps and leg tickers. For a combination of reasons including, Alton's weather (i.e. rain), the water and snow effects, and children jumping and kicking the seating, the benches were looking very damaged and dirty. Paint was flaking and wood was showing through the cover.

Anyway to the point! Seating had begun to be replaced with new plain white plastic '4D' benches with 'Ice' paintwork on the front and back. Although this design isn't as detailed as the originals the benches will be a lot easier to maintain, clean and will be more durable.

Sorry I didn't have a chance to take any photos.

:D

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 am

Seems odd that they are having to replace seating so soon, its only been open for a matter of months?

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:18 am

Those wooden boxes looked crap and cheap, hopefully the news ones will prove to be more classy.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Must admit I wasn't keen on the wooden boxes. Anyone got pics of these new seats?

Screech
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Visited this today, and I must say, we were not impressed at all. Thought was rather pony!

2 rows of seats were closed, not a problem until I noticed it was because the sprinklers were constantly dripping on them, right in front of us!

I found almost everything was out of sync, the fans would blow completly random when not even needed.

The snow was pretty good, but the sprinklers were out, at least 3 or 4 seconds early or late!

And the bubbles, way too many of them, they were still falling when the the film finished.

TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Ice age has been having a few problems recently, on Tuesday it didn't open until 12:45 due to having no power, I believe this has messed up the computer timings slightly which would explain why things were a bit out.  The dripping always seems to have been an issue and both things are ones they are working hard to rectify. Still think it was stupid putting water effects in a building that has no drainage in it, makes the floor lethal at the end of the day.

Jack and daddy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Coming to Alton later this week how good is iceage3d on a scale of 1 to 10 and is on par with shrek in Florida . Cheers much appreciated..
capital city service #1 these colours don't run

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Does Ice Age 4D's room move like other 4D cinema's