UK theme parks from another point of view!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Ice Age - The 4-D Experience Discussion

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Does Ice Age 4D's room move like other 4D cinema's

No. I know of no 4D cinemas that do have moving rooms?

Whilst I approved of Ice Age 4D as an addition at the start of the year, much in contrast with Sub Terra (and despite improvements), my opinion of it has declined... it's hardly worth redoing and the wait times for it are frankly ridiculous, that Ice Age regularly has a 40 minute queue is utterly insane. No 4D cinema is worth that.

To me, Alton Towers have two choices:
Set Showtimes - Have a show set to start eery, say, half an hour. Guests are expected to arrive 10 minutes prior to the showing and are 'counted in' to the batching area. Once the batching area is filled to the cinemas capacity guests are turned away. Waiting doesn't happen, the ugly cattle-pen can be removed.

Make the Show Shorter - It's too long. Even when you're in there, it feels too long. A 4D show shouldn't last more than 10-12 minutes, it can easily tell a simple story and showcase it's effects in that time. Anything longer results in neck craning, headaches, crying children...

Don't get me wrong, Ice Age is a good addition for Cloud Cuckoo Land, just executed in a slightly wrong way.

ryanlovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:00 pm

the ugly cattle-pen can be removed.

I have to agree with this point; at the moment the new cattle-pen queue line has created a bottle neck in the area, and has made the entrance to the area now feel cluttered. The queue line could easily be reworked so it went along a different route.

For example, the queue line could be reworked so it goes along-side the theatre building, through where the current access gates are and new walls (ice themed of course) could be constructed. This would allow a better flow in the area and would make the queue line seem a lot more permanent that it currently looks just plotted into the middle of the area. The front of the building could still have the photo opportunity too.

And as a final pointer, the theatre building would once again gain dominance of the area, as currently the batching area sails and the entrance sign, mostly block of the actual building from view.

roary01
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Just back from a day at the park, sadly the water wasn't working so no spit from the dinosaurs...
Also some of the effects are out of sync too which was slightly weird, and the vibrations are no where near as noticeable as my previous visit earlier in the year...
Please sort it out!

Jack and daddy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Just back afterword four day stint .Ice age great effort does what it says on the tin 8/10
capital city service #1 these colours don't run

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 pm

The 4D Cinema at Flamingo Land does shake and other variouse movements

UltimateDingbat
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:05 am

Very happy with Ice Age. Good laugh, we queued for about 10-15 mins. I agree though set show times. If you arrive and queue for a show and can't get in then get a ticket for a later one (fast pass to make sure you get in) but ONLY if you've queued for 10 mins before show (not just shown up)
Don\'t like me learn to put up with me

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:48 pm

Really good theming and the scrat videos were pretty amusing and i have to say a really good attraction