UK theme parks from another point of view!

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Re: Closed park

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Is it just me, or does that tree hardly have any roots. Didn't look safe before anyway!

It was the right choice judging from the reports. Alton can only compensate and tend to deal with these situations well. It was really a no-brainer that I can't really seem why some of the furious public don't understand. Alton cannot control the weather.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 pm

I think what is fantastic is the fact that Towers clearly have a well thought out and organised plan for emergencies such as this. Particularly when the situation was clearly changing every minute, it seems as though staff and management knew exactly what to do and where to send people.

It's certainly very impressive considering that this kind of thing happens so rarely that you would usually assume that an emergency situation would throw everything into disarray.
ImageImage

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 pm

It sounds like the Resort dealt with the problem the best way they could, and that it was done very quickly and efficiently! Great to here!  :D 

Squiggles
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Stelios7 wrote:
Is it just me, or does that tree hardly have any roots. Didn't look safe before anyway!

I think the roots are still in the ground, it looks more like it has snapped just below ground level.

Does anyone know if that tree hit anything, or is it far enough away from Ben and Jerrys and the Flume photo kiosk to have a clear path?
Edwardo..... move me!

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:37 pm

i was there yesterday and today

the park had to close quite frankly. i have never seen a blizzard like it, it was horrendous, and completeley took everyone by suprise, including AT managment.
there were actually three seperate incidents involving downed trees. the one that has already been photographed in mutiny bay. one that fell across the pathway between battle galleons and the towers. and finally in the wooded area between spinball and x-sector, threatening to fall across the path.
the latter two incidents caused the entire south side of the park to become inaccesable, whilst continuous power dips kept shutting down duel and N:ST, which were the only rides open on that side of the park.

none of this can be held against towers managment as it hadn't been forecast until midnight preceeding the day. absolutley unexpected and uncontrolable weather, completely out of season. complete with power dips, caused absolute chaos today. and to give the staff absolute credit, they handled it beutifully, and all guests, who werenn't lacking a sense of common manners and patience, were delt with in a proffesional manner, and generally got a satifactory result.

my party infact was even offered an additional, complimentary night, due to the fact that we have annual passes and had to travel 200 miles to get there. as we had to come home anyway (some of us have to work tomorrow) we have been given a reference for a heavily discounted second stay later on this season  :D and i barely had to ask.

thos people slagging of the AT staff on FB and other places, never gave the staff a chance to help them, other wise they wouldn't be moaning.

all in all not a brilliant day for towers, but the saving grace is their wonderful staff, who tuly went out of their way for anyone they encountered, and i even felt that yesterday on a normal day of operations.  :clap:

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Squiggles wrote:
Stelios7 wrote:

I think the roots are still in the ground, it looks more like it has snapped just below ground level.

Does anyone know if that tree hit anything, or is it far enough away from Ben and Jerrys and the Flume photo kiosk to have a clear path?

Nah, there's nothing in the way of that, other than a bin or something

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Boz wrote:
but the saving grace is their wonderful staff, who tuly went out of their way for anyone they encountered, and i even felt that yesterday on a normal day of operations.  :clap:
Hear, hear. The staff have been wonderful this season so far.
ImageImage

James
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:37 pm

A kind reminder to keep things on topic in here. I have removed/edited a few posts relating to PBE, by all means include PBE in your post if you have to, although think before you post and add to the discussion effectively. If you have issues with PBE then this should be kept off the forums. Thanks.

Matthew144

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:56 am

FYI the weather here is calm today so AT should be open!

Alex Tyler
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 pm

An update from today no snow, all rides open

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:38 am

James wrote:
A kind reminder to keep things on topic in here. I have removed/edited a few posts relating to PBE, by all means include PBE in your post if you have to, although think before you post and add to the discussion effectively. If you have issues with PBE then this should be kept off the forums. Thanks.

Thanks, I didn't see any of the comments but I heard they weren't all that pleasant. If anyone has any issues with PBE in the future and our content please contact me. I'd appreciate it if the team on here didn't remove this part of my post, as I am not trying to derail the topic, it's just a polite request, cheers! :)

My opinion is that Towers shouldn't of opened and shouldn't of taken money to start with if the conditions really were that bad. I did see a lot of negative comments about the way it was dealt with which is why I think Towers shouldn't of even opened and they would of got less of a negative response IMO.
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:08 am

I think that it is fair for them to have opened, particularly thinking that the weather may have improved. Were it not for trees falling, and the power going due to the high winds, the park could have opened. It was clearly just an overwhelming freak day! I mean, it's hard for the park. If they didn't open at all, they would have streams of angry customers on Facebook moaning that they didn't do enough to warn people the park was closed. But they opened, hoping that the weather would hold out. It didn't, and it sounds like the staff were fantastic in getting people to safety and looking after the well-being of the guests :) The park should come out of this in a positive light IMO.

In short reference to PBE, but not to derail this thread or cause negativity or tensions, the only reason your site was brought up was because of the rather gloating way in which it posted about the events on Facebook which seemed unfair and petty.
ImageImage

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 am

Yes, it's a total shambles that the park didn't close early and then look like idiots if the weather improved later... I would rather the park try and keep open until the last possible moment in these situations, but of course, so of the opinions that came off that forum were (in the circumstances that actually surrounded the park closure) were completely off the ball and just ripping Towers for no reason, when it's clear they closed due to customer safety being compromised...

NO park does refunds on the park, ANYWHERE. They ask guests to vacate as quickly as possible, and if they wish to discuss refunds or what-not, they get given some letter on departure, and are told to contact the park in the near future to sort out any problems... This is what they did at Chessie during the park wide power cuts, and I assume what Towers did on the day... It's just not viable to have several hundreds of guests queueing up in GS demanding refunds when the park is meant to be closing due to safety reasons, and NOT a power cut...

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:52 am

Scott wrote:
My opinion is that Towers shouldn't of opened and shouldn't of taken money to start with if the conditions really were that bad. I did see a lot of negative comments about the way it was dealt with which is why I think Towers shouldn't of even opened and they would of got less of a negative response IMO.

Thats fine, but then you deal with the problem that a lot of people would still be on their way to the park and would arrive to a closed park anyway. So you get the complaints that the park didn't make people aware before hand (which of course they do if you read the Terms and Conditions) so Alton Towers was in a lose lose situation, whatever decision they had to make would annoy a lot of people. As according to some people, indoor rides and for some reason Rita, were open, the park was clearly holding out to see if the weather calmed down. It didn't and the park did what they could as compensation. It's all in the T&C's that they don't do refunds and once someone step on their grounds, they agree to those conditions.

They did a good job IMO. The facebook fanpage really isn't reflective of a majority, just the vocal minority.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

STEELMAN
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:31 am

can you help me I was at Alton towers on 04/04/2012 and the Theme Park was shut I have sun free tickets will my tickets be valid for another day ?

Poison Tom 96

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:13 am

STEELMAN wrote:
can you help me I was at Alton towers on 04/04/2012 and the Theme Park was shut I have sun free tickets will my tickets be valid for another day ?

Contact Alton Towers i think and they might sort it out. :)

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:32 am

STEELMAN wrote:

if your tickets were dated for the 4th you will be able to return to redeem them at a later date. if they weren't dated but have been used then contact guest services on 0871 222 9940 and they will sort something out

Bote
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Personally I think it was amazing that management tried to open the park at all! I can only assume that it was as others have suggested, in hope that the weather would improve through the day. The weather on the day in question certainly was unpredictable, and was changing constantly by the minute! I don't think they can in any way be blamed for not being able to predict exactly what is happening :P

It is always good to hear of how well the park handle situations like this, and it is very reassuring to see their Emergency Action Plan working so well inspite of complications such as closed paths, and inaccessible areas.

With regards to saying no advanced notice was given, Towers updated their website informing people they had taken the decision to close almost as soon as the evacuations started. I think they made an attempt to inform those visiting they would be closed, and tried to do everything they could do make people aware. I mean, they could hardly go and phone every visitor to tell them they are closed now could they? :P

It is good to see that they also are offering free return tickets for their paying guests, and the offer of a free stay in Scott's case is certainly very comendable!

In my opinion a park should try and remain open regardless, but when a situation takes a turn for the worse and guest and staff lives are put at risk (Falling trees, etc.) then they made the right choice, and it is perfectly understandable. It's just a shame some visitors can't seem to grasp this, and then would sing to high heaven if anything happened to them as a result of the park staying open. It's a no win situation for the park, but at least they tried their hardest inspite of it all :)

All in all, not the best day in Tower's history, but certainly one that was well coordinated and handled. It really boosts my confidence to hear they are so well prepared for incidents like this which can occur at any given time :D

calitoxs
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:41 pm

As someone who has visited and worked for the park before the decision is not made lightly but due to the falling tree's I think was the main concern, I've seen the rides operated in worst weather and winds were not at a dangerous level. So my bet is on the tree's being behind the closure.

Went today using the free ticket so im all happy.  :lol:

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:59 pm

When I saw some of the damages caused by falling trees on some of the metal fences, you really saw how right they were to close the park, if a person had been in place of one of the fences, things would have been very different...