UK theme parks from another point of view!

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fantastic Staff

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:53 pm

The general consensus on here seems to be that the season (bar Sub-Terra) has gotten off to a cracking start. The atmosphere around the park seems great, Ice Age has been a pleasant surprise, and rides have had some TLC (Ripsaw, Duel etc.)

However, I think that sometimes people forget that this is all down to the staff. When I was on park for two days last week, every single member of staff that I encountered was polite, friendly, smiling and willing to help. In Towers Trading, on a freezing cold Friday morning, the assistants were more then happy to go searching for a 13 hoody that someone I was with needed... In the food and drink stalls, staff were happy to make conversation and not simply ask 'Are ya having a good day?.' In Ice Age, the staff were great with kids and were dancing and so on during the end credits. There were so many more great moments... not to mention THAT PIRATE BOAT <3

I know that we all recognise the staff at the theme parks for mostly being great, but I think that this year they have really helped to set a fantastic atmosphere in the place and let's hope it continues for the rest of the season.

Also, from what I have heard, the staff were fantastic today in keeping guests safe and keeping things going smoothly under very difficult circumstances...

So, is there anyone who has made your day at the park this year? Do you think the customer service has been fab? Let's be positive and say thanks!
Last edited by mrbrightside on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Fantastic Staff

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:17 pm

I found that the public serving staff are wonderful. Very friendly.

Also well done making a positive thread :D
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Longy

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Opening day, first ride of the day.
A ride op was waiting at the entrance of Rita and said, "Hello, welcome. I hope you enjoy the ride and the rest of your day."
This made my day very good, and many other ops were like this also.

The staff atmosphere at the park is fantastic, and it has really made my day when I visit. It's one of the best in Europe, and is not rivaled in the UK, and more people need to acknowledge this.

Well done AT staff! You are fantastic!

Danielle
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:57 pm

I was surprised on 3 occasions last week when my group got friendly comments/conversation from staff. It may be because I've mostly visited during school holidays before and staff are run off their feet, but I've never had such an experience.

Getting off Skyride in two different areas, both members of staff said "enjoy the rest of your day!" and at Sonic Spinball we were asked if we'd "been on all the big rides" (and somehow ended up on the topic of Sub-Terra which wasn't so positive, but still).

Nothing particularly 'special' at all, but it does make the experience that little bit better than "how many? Stand in bay 3" (which I don't really have a problem with in general because it's their job after all).

Thanks, friendly staff!

ZenakuShi

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:14 am

Pretty much all the staff that I have met have been friendly.

I can never remember his name, but he worked last year on spinball and is working there again this year and it was a pleasant surprise that he recognised me. Seeing the 'I voted Nemesis' badge that sits proudly on my bag he started chatting, and is generally a very nice character. I've also seen him talking to others, and instead of the whole 'have a nice day k thx bye' talk, he always tries to start a full conversation.

But my favourite of all staff members that I have met would of been Matt from last year working on Nemesis and Duel in scarefest. We soon discovered that we were both enthusiasts, and started debating a good number of things... Im pretty sure that he's a member of Towers Nerd.

All the staff so far have been brilliant this year, and I really do hope that they continue. Part of the theme park experience for me is the staff and how they act- no matter how miserable and cold a day is, they should always make you smile.

Also when a friend wanted to get one of those chocolate pot things that they sell in Towers Street and only had a £20 note, he smiled and bared with her instead the usual 'wth are you doing? I has no change for a 20!' But then money is money. But the great escape of some pound coins from his bum bag wasn't met by cursing and frowns, but rather jokes and smiles.

I just hope that the staff continue being friendly all through season, and that their attitudes don't ware off in time.

Sent using TapaTalk by my Galaxy SII

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:17 am

i have sung my praises of the staff in the closed park topic yesterday, but i'm only too happy to do so again.

everyone i met was friendly, approachable, and eager to help and start a conversation. even a roving photographer decided to start a conversation as we passed, without trying to take our photo!
mutiny bay felt much more atmospheric this year with the pirates, and sir Edward constantly visible, and interacting. and i absolutely loved sir Edwards driving around in his ship with the music blaring, it had me in fits of laughter as he high fived my nephew on the way past  :P

and with all the weather problems that happened yesterday, the staff were organised and on the ball where possible (i appreciate that comms can be difficult when so much is happening at once) and never let the weather or the, frankly :censored: rude guests, get to them.
after the park shut we went back to the hotel to get a hot drink before we went home, and found that every member of staff able to help in any way, was doing everything possible to alleviate the situation. extra staff and all the entertainers had been brought over from the park. in fact after an hour and a half of enjoying our hot chocolate and entertainment that had been hurriedly put together (although it didn't seem like it), we had mostly forgotten about the fiasco in the park and had smiles on our faces again, which is great to have just before we left to go home.
once again well done AT your staff have done you proud.

Poison Tom 96

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:14 pm

We had one of these threads sometime ago from FHT.

The staff are THE best staff i have ever encountered!

Nemmychick
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Wished I lived in Alton, but I live on the border of Wales

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:47 pm

I was on Rita and the staff had started checking the restraints but they hadn't gotten to me in a while (what seemed like a while, anyway) and I screamed and cried 'Please! Don't start! Wait! No No No! Stop!' and a delightful gentleman came along and said 'Don't worry, sweetheart, we will only signal to the ride operator up there *points to operating cabin* when we have made sure that absolutely EVERYONE'S restraints and seatbelts of secured properly.' He then checked my restraint and seatbelt, signalled to the ride operator, then shouted 'Enjoy the ride!' and then woosh. Made my day and made me feel much more safe in Alton than I ever have :)
I live, breath and sleep Alton Towers.

I also produce the funniest ORP's in the planet!

Wuv yoooooooo <3

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 pm

Ooh, just remembered that when eating at Flambo's last Thursday night, our waitress came over and said "Have I served you four before? I totally remember you all from last year" and went on to have a short conversation with us. Now we hadn't been there since last July so it was likely just nice small talk - but it felt welcoming and friendly.
ImageImage

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 am

I've always found Alton Towers staff to be the friendliest of the Merlin parks. When they ask you something or talk to you, it feels genuine and not like an auto cue which Chessington suffers with.

I especially like the staff who work in the retail units. Always have good chats with them.  :P
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Queenmaya99
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:25 am

Where ever I went yesterday, the staff were always willing to have a conversation with you, while doing their job. We were always asked "Are you having a nice day?" and "What rides have you been on?"  and they always had a smile on their faces!
On The Blade yesterday, while the one man was asking us to put our hands up to put the restraints down, another staff member, walking past shouted "PUT YOUR HANDS UP IF YOU SMELL" and that made us all giggle!
And on Twirling Toadstalls, some kids in the queue were jumping up and down the fenses, and the woman was really nice in telling them to stop, about 5 times (they were only about 6) and also, the woman in frount of us's shoe fell of, and the woman controlling was so nice in saying "Please bring the shoe over here!"
In all the ride shops too, the people are always asking you if you enjoyed the ride!
______  ___                     
___   |/  /_____ _____  _______ _
__  /|_/ /_  __ `/_  / / /  __ `/
_  /  / / / /_/ /_  /_/ // /_/ /
/_/  /_/  \__,_/ _\__, / \__,_/ 
                 /____/

scubahood
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm glad someones done a topic on this. Its amazing how far a smile and a have a great day can go. I have to say I find the staff at snack outlets and shops better than the ride ops which I find surprising as if I worked at a theme park thats the last thing i'd want to do. I can honestly say though on how great the staff are they are getting closer and closer to Disney level

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:49 am

I've always thought the staff have never been poor. I haven't encountered one bad time. They are friendly, easy to approach. One even gave me and my friend a extra scoop of ice cream at the end of the day! They have a great sense of humour too and are always calming younger ones in case of a breakdown. They also act calm in breakdowns and try and mediate the situation well. They're simple questions really make your day. They actually seem like they want to talk to you, you could talk to them for hours!

Kudos to Brightside for making this!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

TomahawkTom
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:53 pm

The staff are always helpful and generally they help brightening up you day as well. I think AT have the kindest staff, compared to somewhere like TP, but that might just be cause it's TP. The only thing that I find is, on some rides especially Rita, when they are checking the restraints (and I know it's for safety) they push them tighter than you put them. Sometimes it feels like they don't notice how far they push them, till you are gasping for breath. Other than that there are brilliant :)   
Last edited by TomahawkTom on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

extremis
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Ive not been to AT, since last september and always find the staff really helpfull and friendly. I was on my own last year, wanting to go on nemmesis, didnt know where the single rider queue was so asked the staff member, at the nemmesis queue line, where the single ride entrance was and happily pointed it out to me. Also the same when, you fill up your drinks capsule, very friendly.
Going off subject as ive got a merlin pass, and tend to do the Blackpool attractions once a week, even they are friendly staff, and have great conversations, with the staff. Merlin do focus great on customer service
found in the depths of blackpool dungeons, being hung from extremis

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Was just looking for a topic like this!

The staff this year are brilliant. Every member of staff I came into contact with seemed like they were having a great time, helpful, asked how my day was, had a good conversation. I work a restaurant where we are encouraged to have conversations with our customers, which i find extremely uncomfortable with, but these guys didn't have a problem. They were all having so much fun, big love for them all.

A few that stick out in my head -

The little guy with the squeaky voice on the monorail - He has worked there for bloody years. We had a great chat. If anyone knows his name, I would appreciate it.

Dave, I think his name is, I am pretty sure he is on the forums. On the Flume. I saw him sit on one of the Flume boats and was chatting away to a family, telling them how wet they looked and distracted them so they ended up going around a second time. WHAT A STAR! Had me laughing and I am sure I heard the family come off saying how great he was. Big thumbs up if you're reading, I'm going to let the Resort know how good you are at your job.

And all the ride teams really - they cared about our day and ensured we were having a good day. Absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!

marita
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 2:41 pm

The little guy with the squeaky voice on the monorail - He has worked there for bloody years. We had a great chat. If anyone knows his name, I would appreciate it
#

His name is indeed Dave. He has been there for years. I had the pleasure of working with him and he is the sweetest person you'll ever meet.

I think as someone who works in customer service that people are quick enough to moan and complain, but not quick enough to praise someone. I think that if praise is due it should be given.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Completely - I shall be emailing/writing to the Towers to let them know!

NemmyJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Yes the staff are really friendly, however, there has been an odd occasion when i'v been on duel with my boyfriend (my boyfriend is very tall) and he can only sit on a certain seat because of his legs, and we kindly asked to sit on the front row as he asked us to sit on the back row, he then did a sarcastic comment 'its the same leg room everywhere' which I could of said, he can't help being tall.

But other than that, staff have been great :)

djtruefitt

Wed May 02, 2012 6:36 pm

I do agree on all my visits this year the majority of the staff have been great. Last week on Air even near the end of the day the staff were giving hi fives to people and even asking for hugs! The monorail staff seem better this year and talk to the guests more over the PA, rather than just saying "move behind the yellow line", they are now talking to guests and getting them to shout back, etc.

As dan would say, there are plenty of "I LOVE MY LIFE" people there this year, and not so many "I HATE MY LIFE".