UK theme parks from another point of view!

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Nemesis 2012

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Paid my first visit of the season thus Sunday just gone.

Was really quiet especially in afternoon, and had a great day with a lot of rides a walk on.

Any way we rode Nemmy 5 times, and to me it felt smoother and quicker than ever. I have been on every yr since opening and I always love the ride, but this year it seemed to ride better than I remembered.

Any one else noticed this? and has she had a bit of work done over the close season

Poison Tom 96

Re: Nemesis 2012

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Nemmy is always getting work done and consequently getting better and better :D

Nemmychick
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Wished I lived in Alton, but I live on the border of Wales

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Well, I am going 16th April, planning to go on Nemmy as many times as possible, so, I am hoping to feel the improvements :)
I live, breath and sleep Alton Towers.

I also produce the funniest ORP's in the planet!

Wuv yoooooooo <3

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 am

I think it's just one of those things that people say every season. It always feels faster and more intense  :love:
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Poison Tom 96

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:54 am

Well it does get faster and more intense

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

-Prometheus-
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:26 pm

I missed visits to Alton in 2011 (the shame of it) so I'm probably not in a position to compare; but with that in mind my first ride on Nemmy this season blew my socks off, much better than my 2010 rides on it.

Never fails to deliver at any time but in particular this year I'm in love again lol.  :love:

The Crab of Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:55 pm

I do know what you mean actually. I know it had new wheels put on in Feb and IMO it felt a bit slow then - but riding it in the Mist first thing on Opening day was incredible. Seems to be riding better than ever
ImageSince 2008

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 am

Crack filling and yearly work always makes a ride feel smoother near the start of a season, I'm sure it's been this every year for the 3 years I've been riding Nemesis.

Keeps us positive for Nemmy's future! :)
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 am

I think variances are largely self-perceived, which is true with most rides. There cannot be too much variance or it would split steel or stall.

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Poison Tom 96 wrote:

Isn't it obvious ???
They want it to be best coaster in the world !!!  The coaster poll 2013 they want nemmy to be the BEST !!!

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Work done during the closed season is almost entirely based on identifying, monitoring and repairing defects. They don't usually do work to improve the ride experience directly.

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Actually 2005 to 2009 Nemmie was always painfully slow in the early months until she warmed up, since 2010 though she seems to be on fire from day 1. Whether its better maintenance or longer operating days who knows.

One thing to consider though... unlike drop towers (dodgy subject) coasters can have their speed tweaked by changing wheel composites, maybe they have better strategy's for using such methods. Interestingly it is one inverter that seems to get better or at least maintain its edge with age. Rides such as Black Mamba seem to be getting worse as they get older.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:34 am

Unless you've seen figures (which maybe you have?), I'd have to say that it's fairly down to one's imagination. I would have thought that if it were to enter the loop 5mph (for argument's sake) slower than it was designed to, it would likely stall.

Dormiens-Dave

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:49 am

B&M's never stall, they are designed to go through their elements quite fast. However all roller coasters can have their speed manipulated by wheel compounds, take a look at the various Woodan videos in testing to see the potential difference in speed achievable.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:42 am

Aye, I know but I just think the variances are negligible, but I recently backed down over saying the difference in forces from Stealth and Rita are largely self-perceived, so who knows.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:25 am

Rollermad wrote:
Poison Tom 96 wrote:

Isn't it obvious ???
They want it to be best coaster in the world !!!  The coaster poll 2013 they want nemmy to be the BEST !!!

I doubt Mitch Hawker would make it the best, some of their rankings have always been dodgy!

There is a chance it will go up a rank, but they many favour newer coasters for it's new top spot.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Just back from another trip.

Hammered Nemmy on ERT 11rides back to back, still can't decide if I prefer front left or back right, I never tire of this ride. I rode Nemesis Inferno a few times at the weekend and was beginning to sway in which I preferred, down the first drop and over the first corkscrew, I soon remembered there's only one Nemmy

I still feel it's riding better than ever before, the G's round the helix and then into the ravine are immense.

I'm going to Busch Tampa later in the year and am doing a behind the scenes tour of another B&M inverter, Montu.
Iv'e scene pics of Nemmy behind the scenes but never found a tour, anyone know if they do one?

Will be back at the towers on Saturday, If you see A guy with his daughter whoring the single rider queue between 9 and 10 come and say Hi.

I'm Mark ny the way  :O

meames
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
B&M's never stall, they are designed to go through their elements quite fast. However all roller coasters can have their speed manipulated by wheel compounds, take a look at the various Woodan videos in testing to see the potential difference in speed achievable.

Really?
http://rollercoasterfreak.com/Cedar_Poi ... GP0035.JPG

I know it could be moving in the photo, but I am told it is stood still - not the coasters fault, just very cold weather.

Blaze

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:00 pm

There's no way it would stall there, surely? If it got through the cobra it would get through the next element, wouldn't it?

meames
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Aparantly its stalled there - I had seen it stall somewhere else on the circuit too which I was looking for a photo of as there is a ladder stood resting on the train.

There are a couple of forums talking about it some years ago and how it took them over a day to recover the train.