UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dormiens-Dave

Re: Nemesis 2012

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 pm

meames wrote:
Dormiens-Dave wrote:
B&M's never stall, they are designed to go through their elements quite fast. However all roller coasters can have their speed manipulated by wheel compounds, take a look at the various Woodan videos in testing to see the potential difference in speed achievable.

Really?
http://rollercoasterfreak.com/Cedar_Poi ... GP0035.JPG

I know it could be moving in the photo, but I am told it is stood still - not the coasters fault, just very cold weather.

B&M's never stall is actually a quote John Wardley uses about the conversation he had with Walter B when they first ran Nemmie so was slightly tongue in cheek. However they do run very fast through their elements usually so are unlikely to stall.

Blaze

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:42 pm

All coasters are designed not to stall, doesn't mean they still do from time to time. ;)

Bear

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:04 pm

After the cobra roll on Raptor, there is a really gradual uphill section into the MCBR. If there was a persistent wind in that direction, then the 3-4 seconds the train spends on that section of track could be enough for that wind to slow the train down so it couldn't reach the MCBR. It's a relatively common occurrence for that ride, apparently.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Didn't Mantis at CP also stall sometime last year?
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Diamondback at Kings Island has stalled before...

Nemmie is still running so well this year... Again...

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:20 am

Can't find it anyway but I could have sworn Scream at magic Mountain has also stalled.

Nemmy running well?!  :P
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 am

Take their elements quickly? I think some people are living 15+ years in the past here.

The Swarm, for example, lumbers more than a Vekoma SLC in some parts. I can imagine they have issued guidelines about operating it in high winds, although perhaps less so if it's been built with prominent UK wind direction in mind (unlike Jubilee Odyssey and other examples).

Scott
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
B&M's never stall, they are designed to go through their elements quite fast. However all roller coasters can have their speed manipulated by wheel compounds.

Slightly off the point of Nemesis, but PMBO has different wheel compounds on the three trains it has got and on certain days, if it is running two, you can usually tell one train from the other.

I am not sure who made the point about Nemesis being a bit tamer at the start of the year and then getting better as the season went on, it is a trend I have noticed at Towers in the past.

I am really unsure when I'll next get to Towers but I do hope it'll be soon, after getting plenty of rides in on Inferno the other week, I'd like to get a few rides in on Nemesis!
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]