UK theme parks from another point of view!

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Could/Should Alton push it a bit with effects

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Ok so I had this idea - instead of firing water at people on Sub Terra - they could fire slime... But then I though - "ah nah, people might complain or slip over". It just made me wonder if whole host of ideas have been squandered this way.

Don't get me wrong - the rides themselves should be fail safe to the extent that even if the whole ride fails - the actual structures wouldn't allow for any injury - but what about other stuff in the ride?

This is really the far end of what I'm talking about; But what about a low power electric shock like you get in those games from the gadget shop? - You would know about it because all the people would talk about it. I guess you would give warning for those with pacemakers etc.

If you have someone harnessed in you could actually cause their whole body to convulse this way - if you used something similar to those electric exercise pads...But really - I have to ask - is there any appreciation for this kind of effect anymore? Everyone my age would know how its done and if you don't you can just look it up on the internet. Sometimes I think the only way to impress anyone these days is to invent and entirely new effect or implement an old one is some awesomely creative way.

[Just to give some more credit] The back pokers in Sub Terra are actually quite brave- they seem to push with some degree of force. Not that I want people to be hurt, I just think some parks would have dropped the idea cause of H&S fears.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Could/Should Alton push it a bit with effects

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Thats a really good idea actually. On SubTerra, you could also have a bucket load of real feces dropped on your head to simulate the monster defacating on you.

Seriously though, I get what you are saying. I think mundane effects like water and vibration will always be the limit tbh but I do agree that the effects could be used in a much more creative way. If for example a rotating arm swiped past you in the dark with speakers, water effects and warm air, that would be a much more convincing effect to simulate the presence of a beast rather than a static water pistol and leg tickler. The nemesis thing needs to come up to your face and almost lick you in order for the ride to be complete. I agree, we need to move on from the ghost train style scares have become so used to.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:02 pm

lol well a bucket of crap would be a start.
You could have a trough above peoples heads and at the bottom a kind long funnel where the crap falls - its production line style engineering.

To give some credit - Th13teen was the first place I realized they used air cannons. Kind of a cool idea but I did have to be told I was being blown backwards - but the more reasoned people probably realise. They use it on Sub Terra to give the effect of being blown downwards.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:21 pm

All thease topics youve made or not in the right area please place all Alton topics in the Alton Towers general disscussion. Thanks

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:42 pm

sorry - please move them if you can

James
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Would you care to leave the moderation to the forum team, ATJoseph. If a topic is in the wrong forum (or if you believe it is) then simply report the post rather than writing a pointless post yourself. :)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I would love to see Alton Towers use Fire effects on a future attraction.

addy2503
TT Member
TT Member

Could/Should Alton push it a bit with effects

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:

Did you not hear what happened when they last used fire effects on a ride?

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:46 pm

addy2503 wrote:

Did you not hear what happened when they last used fire effects on a ride?

Go on, I don't even remember Towers having any fire effects ever...

As for other effects, meh, there's not much they can do that can be deemed safe by H&S (which would probably rule out electric shocks being part of a ride) as well as things that would be relatively easy to maintain and the like...

Quite often though, the simplest effects (water on Terra representing the hatching egg) work better than some that might just be over the top and unreliable...

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:10 am

Well just look at Drayton Manor&Blackpool they use fire effects on there rides. In Drayton case they use to. I been going since 1993 and don't recall any rides with fire effects.

The Psychoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:02 am

Well just look at Drayton Manor&Blackpool they use fire effects on there rides. In Drayton case they use to. I been going since 1993 and don't recall any rides with fire effects.

I recall some quite realistic fire effects on the Skyride in '07 and '09  ;)

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:55 am

You don't get much rawer than a fire effect - but if there is one effect that does worry me its that lol.
I think (is it) Valhalla uses fire and water effects at Blackpool - it seems quite safe because you are surrounded by water.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeGibbon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Some of the fire effects on Valhalla are mental though, when they're working that is... Going through a tunnel of fire on that ride is terrifying