UK theme parks from another point of view!

t-h-o-m-o
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

The Towers - Tours

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:53 pm

I was taking a quick look through the Towers yesterday after I had been on the rides, and thought whether there could be staff at Alton Towers giving people tours around the Towers and showing people all the rooms and all the information that about the Towers and what happened in each room. Anyone else think there should be tours?
Last edited by t-h-o-m-o on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LordOfDarkness
TT Member
TT Member

Re: should there be staff who give you tours around the towers?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Would be a good idea, And would be interesting. At the moment there is only a little plaque on the wall telling you what the room was used for. Would it really pitch though with the general public? When they pay their admission fee for the rides... conundrum.

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport

t-h-o-m-o
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:59 pm

True. Although when people are done with rides then can always take quick look, as I'm sure many people want to know and are interested about the Towers.
Last edited by t-h-o-m-o on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Never mind guides...The Towers definetely need much more informative and higher quality information boards displayed around the ruins.

Could they not create audio guides and provide those?

t-h-o-m-o
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: The Towers - Tours

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:09 pm

yeah they should, as the towers is like one big maze in many parts!

Big Dave

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:38 pm

The park do have ruins tours that they run. Some members went on a tour that myself and the park organised. It was a good tour, even if they did mess up our booking a bit :P

oldgitBEN

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:01 pm

I think Thomo meant a tour as part of every day activities, not something that has to be specially sought out.

I think it would be nice to see, the towers are so underused - just a couple of guided tours a day Im sure would grab quite a few guests. There are many people who are interested in the towers and if they were to see specific times of tours might make the effort to venture in and learn.

djtruefitt

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Its a shame that the towers arnt properly used. There isnt even any proper signs directing you into them. I have seen some old photos of the towers in the 80s when there was a big sign above the enterance (near Hex exit) saying Towers and information. Now you just go through what seems like a firedoor and a emergency staircase.

There should be a proper enterance and signs and information in each room, Telling you information about the room, old photos, etc. Some proper history about the Towers and what its been used for over the years.

There are plenty of people who go to Alton Towers who dont go on the rides, such as parents/grand parents who may wonder round the towers, but dont have a clue about the history or anything.

As for tours, im not sure there would be enough demand for it, and it could end up with a tour guide showing two people round especially on quite or wet days.

manual_operator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:33 pm

There is a lovely gentleman who used to work at AT when I was there who knew everything about the towers and during my induction he gave a tour...if he still works there (can't remember his name) I'm sure he would love to do it, and it wouldn't cost much to do neither really if he did 2 or 3 tours a day as it wouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes to do an in-depth tour would it.

JayMMayer

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:54 pm

Anything as simple as a leaflet that includes a map with numbers relating to information overleaf would satisfy me, just a short paragraph on each major area could really teach people about Alton Towers' amazing history.
Last edited by JayMMayer on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:59 pm

I've seen a tour of some kind on youtube, that went to the seperate tower and the gardens aswell.

Also I recently realised that the towers used to have things like cladding and wall paper - and looked a lot less historic than it does due to the fact what you see is the stones. I actually used to think it had always been just stone as if it were from a much earlier time.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Big Dave

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:04 pm

The vast majority of the ruins are only about 200-250 years old. People think its s castle and more like a 1000 years old.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:44 am

I could see it happening in a childrens area, maybe with a few characters to keep interest. The farm would be perfect, travel through Storybook Land and then have a ball with the animals at the farm.

It would be low budget, and enjoyable for the staff and audience. I couldn't really see it working anywhere else though, maybe Willy Wonka or Edward England doing something could be nice.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Big Dave

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:38 am

Pardon?

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I did the towers and gardens tour last year after organising a group of us, was only about £5 each if that, and was well worth it.  Went into the Swiss Cottage, the gardens, the Conservatories, and then into the Towers, learning about each room etc. and restorations, current and future.

Would definately recommend organising one of these if you havent been on one yet, well worth it.

oldgitBEN

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:14 pm

do you have any photos inside the swiss cottage gary? Ive always been interested.

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:37 pm

I have to agree, I think at least the towers should had proper signs and information.

Dormiens-Dave

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Dan B and Rowe definately had pictures of swiss cottage, its very 1980's working mans club inside.

Towers have plans every year to do more in the ruins but i fear its much like they have plans to do the Air Tunnel every year. They want to do it but the pay masters stop them.