UK theme parks from another point of view!

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

What has happened to my beloved AT?

Sun May 06, 2012 7:14 pm

I thought I'd join the forum and put forward some of my thought on the current state of affairs at AT.

I've been a rollercoaster enthusiast for almost all of my life, my first visit to AT was way back in 1992 back before the Nemesis days.  I was a previous member of the RCCGB for 4 years and I've travelled all over Europe, Japan and the States to theme parks to ride the biggest and best in the world so I like to think of myself as somewhat of a justified critic when it comes to theme parks and their rides.  Unfortnately in my late 20's I lost a little bit of the constant enthuisiasm I had for rollercoasters and other hobbies took priority, that's not to say I don't still keep myself upto date with the goings on of the theme park world, it's more of a case of visiting parks maybe once or twice a year rather than 20+ times a year..so suffice to say this was my first visit to the towers in 3 years.

I have to be honest, I've not missed AT these last few years, it's done very little to advance itself and grow since the installation of Rita which was an average ride at best anyway, certinatly not in the same category as the boundires they tried to push with Nemesis, Air, Oblivion.  Whilst money has been directed towards Thorpe Park as a thrill seekers haven in the UK, it seems Alton Towers has continued to fall further behind, I have to be honest and say I wasn't even tempted with to go out of my way to try 13 when it opened last year.  So after the introduction of both a new Nemesis themed ride and a new girlfriend who has never been to AT before I decided to take the plunge and head off for the day...see if after 3 years absence of would of made the heart grow fonder.

Well the short answer was no...definately not, in fact quite the opposite.  I mean don't get me wrong here...this is not a bashing AT thread, the park still has a lot to offer the new customer (my gf loved it) or even that person who visits AT once every few years as a special day out.  However to myself, who has watched the park grow and develop over the last 20 years, and clocked over 200 rides on nemesis and oblivion...I can't help but think its gone down hill, in some areas...very badly.

The first shock I got was the £6 parking charge..quite frankly its a disgusting money making tactic which borders on extortion, after all what are you gonna do when you drive all the way there to find out its £6 to park?? not pay in protest?? turn around and go home??? absolutely not...you will pay and AT knows this, from what I could see the £6 doesnt even give you any kind of secure parking either, I didn't see any staff patrolling the car park..going some way to justify this mysterious charge.

The ticket prices have gone up significantly in recent years also..at £42 per adult its still a very expensive day out and here is the biggest thing that really shocked me...you can now pay additional to esentially jump the queue.    This is an unusual tactic cause I just can't see for the life of me how this doesnt generate an absolute ton of complaints. 

Don't get me wrong I can see the sense of the ERT, they have done that for years and it sort of works pretty well but this new queue jumping ticket you can purchase is a horrible idea, I don't see how anybody except AT and those who can afford to purchase queue jumping tickets can benefit from it! and if it wasn't bad enough already to make it worse the way its managed is horrible. 

In some ways it appears that those who queue in the normal line are sort of punished by those willing to fork out extra for the queue jumping passes as the staff dont allow the queue lines to flow naturally and keep controlling the flow of things so they can keep part of the line short enough for those with these passes to join at a certain point.  This is all down to a combination of bad queue planning by AT management, I've read on these forums that many of you often feel guilty cutting the queue with these passes as you have to do it blatantly in view of everybody who has waited for a long time and of course all this is motivated by the greed of the park.  It's like AT is saying "hey you don't wanna stand in the hour queue with everybody else who has paid £42 to come here for the day?? Give us 10 quid and we will let you jump the queue on a couple of rides"  and of course this can be done as many times as you wish as you can buy more queue jumping passes in the park. 

The point of this rant is why should somebody who has more money get better value for his park entry fee than me?  It just sets a bad example on the parks thoughts of "you get in line and you wait your turn like everybody else".  What AT should be doing is what other top parks round the world are doing as give you a ticket stating a designated time to come back to the ride at which point you join a queue that is not right in front of everybody else so it appears as if you are queue jumping, of course AT don't wish to do this as they can't make additional money using this method.

The staff weren't great on my visit either, they seemed very unproductive in terms of queue management in trying to fill up the trains for rides.  I lost count how many times I seen through the day trains heading out with 6+ seats not being filled.  It's down to the staff to make sure these are managed correctly and the throughput is at a maximum every time in order to keep queue times down.

I think everything else about the park has either remained stagnant and declined in terms of quality and satisfaction.  Prices for on ride photo's is now at an unbalievable £8 per photo...try to put it in context that if they charged £1 for these they would be making a massive profit, so at £8 each im suprised they are still selling.  I noticed the branded foot outlets have mostly all gone, no more Mcdonalds, KFC or Pizza hut...mostly all replaced with Alton Towers own food halls (which they can control in terms of costing...i.e more money) the only saving grace is Burger King is now in the park but even they are charging their more expensive "service station" rates on the food..certaintly not the same cost as a burger king on the high street.

As for the rides...well Nemesis is always going to be a top class coaster although due to its age its not quite in the world class category anymore.  Oblivion, Air & Rita still remain a thrill and will age well in the park, as will 13 to some respect.  I didn't really rate 13 as a coaster, it doesn't fall far short from a kiddy coaster...it was "Ok" but a million miles away from pushing any boundires like the park used to.  The new nemesis ride was well...not really a ride, I'm not gonna bash it too hard, its an experience i've tried once and will never bother with again...personally I don't see it ageing so well in the park.

In short I won't be going back to AT any time soon as of right now I just don't see it being great value for money.  The park has become more and more expensive (greedy) and for a park that was once considered to be one of the best in the world, I'd be suprised now if it was even mentioned.  I hope SW7 is going to get the park back in track, it needs to be something amazing...something that gets AT back on the map.
Last edited by Fragga on Sun May 06, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Re: What has happened to my beloved AT?

Sun May 06, 2012 8:05 pm

I find other parking alternatives like going opposite the entrance area - in a layby

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 pm

I quite agree scince air (ok ride) there has been no good proper rides at alton. lets hope sw7 goes well and brings back the alton magic for the best.
:)
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Your opinion (to me that is) sound based on AT's lack of white knuckle rides, just because your a thrill seeker doesn't mean that everyone going there is too. I adore Alton towers for its scope of attractions. From little arcades, to golf, to rides then of course just a casual walk around the gardens. It does everything a family/couple/Group of friends would want to do. And to me it's he best park in the country.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 pm

I do agree with the pricing. all the parking charging and you almost break your ankle falling in a pot hole.
8 pound for ride photo, i usually go up laugh at the photos but cant afford to buy one.

as for the ride, there is a great mix, something for any age of family member.

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 am

Your opinion (to me that is) sound based on AT's lack of white knuckle rides, just because your a thrill seeker doesn't mean that everyone going there is too. I adore Alton towers for its scope of attractions. From little arcades, to golf, to rides then of course just a casual walk around the gardens. It does everything a family/couple/Group of friends would want to do. And to me it's he best park in the country.

I agree with you 100% and I clearly stated that in my post...however I am coming from the perspectice of a thrill seeker and frequent visitor of the park for many many years.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 8:11 am

Fragga wrote:

I agree with you 100% and I clearly stated that in my post...however I am coming from the perspectice of a thrill seeker and frequent visitor of the park for many many years.

There's nothing wrong with looking at things from a thrill seeker's perspective as Alton Towers is the proper kind of family theme park (the sort that actually offers a ride for any type of guest rather than using it as a cover because they only build cheap fairground or kiddie rides).

All this talk of SW7 restoring AT to how it was during the 90's is great, but can one ride (which is still just a eurofighter) really do that? It was never just about the rides, rather the entire experience. It was Tussauds' holistic approach to operating theme parks that created magic. Merlin need to emulate that because it's what transformed Alton Towers into one of the top five theme parks in Europe and made it world renowned.

A theme park can't just rely on new rides to be classed as a great theme park. Don't get me wrong, they help a lot, but when other things like maintaining old rides and theming are slipping, prices are increasing, marketing is (or was until a year or two ago) going too far with new rides and making them sound more than they actually are and the entertainments side of the park is a shadow of what it was 12 years ago, those all need addressing too.

I love Alton Towers and I'll continue to visit. But I still wish the park was more like it was during the 90's. If you don't believe that the park was better then, you only have to look at old videos and documentaries on TTF's Youtube account.
Last edited by BigAl on Mon May 07, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 9:57 am

I couldnt agree more bigAl, its the entire package that has to come together and its in those areas its lacking right now.

In all honesty I don't think SW7 will be the answer, I just dont have faith that its going to be something spectuacular which is what I would of gotten 10 years ago at AT.  Do we know is John Wardley is involved in it? His outside thinking always helped with themeing and designs back in the good old days.

What id like to see is something at the park which pushes the boundires Nemesis/Bolivion/Air did all those years ago...you have to remember that back in those days you were experiencing something at AT you couldnt experience anywhere else in the entire world, that's how much at the forefront it was in terms of wanting the latest and greatest rides for us.

I loved back in the 90's when AT and BPPB were having a little competition with each other..it was like our own little version of the ongoing cedar point, sig flaxs magic mountain battle.
Last edited by Fragga on Mon May 07, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 11:27 am

For someone who has travelled to the US, surely you've had experience of the park's there having such items as parking charges and paid Fastrack?

In addition, both of these things existed 3 years ago on your last visit, so I'm not sure how you could be surprised by their existance today?

They would not make a profit on photos if they sold them for a quid. That's just not ever going to work if put into a business model.

Regarding food, again, the branded outlets at all the parks have been at service station prices for years, and you say about they can control the price range of Merlin brand food outlets, but did you try one? Because it seems you missed out on the much improved quality of food that has actually turned up with these own brand outlets, which is a shame, as those are most certainly worth the cost. Which would easily pay on a day out at any form of leisure attraction.

Of course I didn't go to the park during the magical 90s, but times have changed and the parks need to adapt to the modern viewing of tourism. Sad really if we'll never get the heady days and designs of Nemesis and Oblivion again, but it's a true factor and it needs to be sorted for the majority of guests who visit the park, the GP, very few of which even pay full price to enter the park.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 11:35 am

I don't want this post to sound like a huge fanboy diatribe - as I can see the flaws in Alton as well as anyone else, but I think you have been a bit harsh to some extent. Whilst I think the whole forum would agree generally that the park is not as good as it used to be, if you used to visit all the time and then suddenly came to this modern Alton after a period of absence, there will always be a sense of rose tinted glasses with elements of the park...

The park's installations fell stagnant around the Rita/Spinball period when Tussauds had no money and ran out of ideas... Merlin have since come in, and although have had a slow start, are beginning to make progress with rides and attractions. Mutiny Bay and Cloud Cuckoo Land have been good re-themes. As have been the change to the Skyride and Monorail. The Sharkbait Reef SeaLife centre is one of the best in the country and Ice Age has been a great new show. Th13teen has turned out to be a fantastically fun family coaster and, despite its flaws, Sub Terra could still turn out to be a great addition to the park.

Although, yes, these have generally all been family additions - it shows how the park has been trying to make up for any perceived lack of family options that Alton may have had. It's always been a theme park for everyone, and all of the above changes have helped this. Now, Merlin can move on to a true thrill coaster in SW7 - and their work with The Swarm shows they are capable of great things in terms of coaster design and theme!

I agree that the parking charge is ridiculous, I believe it was originally intended for monorail running costs and car park improvements (as well as funding for the relief road) but none of this has really come to fruition. Again, the charge for entry has increased - but not by much each year, and barely anybody pays full price on the gates anyway. The country is flooded with 2-for-1s and the website provides reduced price tickets too. The gate price is not an issue really.

Fastrack is also, unfortunately, a way of life these days in the theme park industry. While we would all love for it to be free and Disney-style, it's not. And this is something that the whole industry deals with. It's not just an Alton thing, and it's not even a Merlin thing. Paying to skip a queue is a worldwide thing. While I do think it is annoying and unnecessary - it provides great income for parks and in my experience, has not ever really ruined the queueing experience on more than one or two occasions.

In my opinion, the staff are one of the best things about Towers - they are normally fantastically efficient and incredibly friendly. It's annoying when there are gaps on trains, but this does not happen all that often from experience as staff are normally great at queue management and station management.

Photos are priced ridiculously, I agree - but the prices for multi-buys (i.e. 2 for 10 or photopass) have remained the same. It's a case of up-selling, Merlin would rather you buy in bulk than buy little - hence why 5 extra donuts only cost a quid at donut stalls. So pricing has actually remained fairly consistent (although the value for money offered is simply perceived rather than real) - an example of cheaper costs would be Quenchers which have gone down in price by £2 since 2010!

As for food, you're probably one of the few people on here who are disappointed about the demise of the branded outlets. They lack the escapism that a theme park truly needs and cannot be controlled by park management. Pricing within them is actually pretty good value for money and the quality is very good - on park food is one of the things Alton does really well! It's much better having Merlin brands as quality and service can be controlled much easier. The fact Burger King charges bumped up service station prices is a prime example... Merlin cannot control their prices nor their staff, so if they were replaced by a Merlin brand, changes would be for the better - not to mention the fact that the restaurant would be themed xD

Rides is a tricky category, Nemesis seems to get better with age in many people's opinion, and Th13teen has been a fantastic addition. Although it is little more than a mine train with a freefall drop - that is what makes it great for families and thrills alike. It may not be forceful but it is fun. And to say it doesn't push boundaries is a bit harsh, it introduced a world class piece of technology that works fantastically and provides a great, new, on-ride experience for a coaster. It may not have pushed the boundaries in the right way for you, but it has certainly spawned a new genre of coaster around the world (Legoland Billund and BGW are using a Zierer version this year). Also, Sub-Terra - well, see the ST thread for my thoughts on that one! Haha!

I hope also that SW7 will put Alton on the map, but I really, really don't think it's as bad as been made out here. I know this probably just sounds like a rant from an Alton fanboy, but I really think there are a lot of positives to take from the park! Plus, this extremely long post has distracted me from Uni work - so thanks :)
ImageImage

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 11:43 am

I agree with your points Benzin but I'd like to just point out a few things.

Firstly, parks in the US do a fastrack service exactly the same as AT its just they do it a LOT better, as I said the queue system at AT almost punishes those waiting in the normal queue by accomodating those willing to purchase queue jumpers.  It's a bad system and one that esentially promotes queue jumping if you're willing to pay for it simply because you jump in the queue literally in front of everybody else for them all to see.  When I last visited the park 3 years ago I believe the queue jumping tickets were something you could purchase as a one off before you enetered the park and would allow you to jump one ride.  However now you can esentially buy 'top up' queue jumpers all day long and if you're willing to purchase the platinum package you can jump every ride all day as much as you want.

My profit on the photo's for a quid was possibly a slight exaggeration, still though at £8 per photo its a huge profit margin and my point here was that at that cost it makes it very hard to justify the cost on one photo.  I think why it annoyed me so much is that its just another area where the prices have spiralled a little out of control.

I did try the food there, the chicken co or whatever it was and I found it to be perfectly nice...however it was more expensive than the KFC's it replaced.  On my visits to the park in the past I specifically remember Mcdonalds and KFC charging their normal high street prices on the food...the tactic of moving them out to replace them with Merlin's own outlets does allow the park to control the prices of food more, which again feels a little facist, much like the over priced car parking charge they now force you to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally bashing AT..as I said in my previous post I believe it still has a lot to offer, but there is no doubt in my mind the standard throughout the park have slipped this last 10 years.  It doesn't have the same sense of direction it had 10 years ago and I don't like where the park is going as a day out overall.

Dormiens-Dave

Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am

Paid parking and paid Fast track have been around since 2006 but that doesn't stop me hating them (and most other big UK parks are doing the same). The current fast track system has been operating in this form for about 5 years, the quota of tickets, "Sales and Info" can sell hasn't changed either as far as i can tell. I would however rather they got rid of both paid fast track and paid parking. I agree as well that the park is looking a little shabby and that the last few years new additions haven't been that amazing.

That said the first 2 years of Merlin saw the monorail getting a much needed revamp as well as great refresh of merry england and a fantastic sea-life which guests love so the Merlin Years haven't been all bad. As for the food, the Merlin branded food is better quality than the crap they had before (much of which got slated by food hygiene inspectors) and although some of the Merlin food outlets are over priced, others like Pizza Pasta are very good value for themepark food. I certainly think when you compare it to the food offerings in other UK parks the only non-Merlin one that comes close is Blackpool as the rest of the offerings are often over-priced garbage. And KFC certainly charged last season about as much as Chicken Co charges now.

On the negative massive areas of the park are looking a mess, Oblivion is looking very tired with huge areas of theming completely destroyed leaving horrible patches of bare MDF. The Dark Forest is already massively faded with UgLand paint coming back through and the Nemesis monster is in a right state.

As for SW7, looking at the plans this ride looks to be a thrill beast and the people who say its "just a Eurofighter" need to look at the plans more closely. The ride doesn't do the usual formulaic Eurofighter elements (such as the over 90 drop), the theming looks good and the ride experience isn't getting bogged down by a gimmick.

And yes John Wardley is working on SW7
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Mon May 07, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 11:56 am

Fragga wrote:
Firstly, parks in the US do a fastrack service exactly the same as AT its just they do it a LOT better, as I said the queue system at AT almost punishes those waiting in the normal queue by accomodating those willing to purchase queue jumpers.  It's a bad system and one that esentially promotes queue jumping if you're willing to pay for it
Every park with a paid queue jump system is like this surely? Every queue time is increased by those who have Fastracks no matter where you go, because those with the passes are given priority regardless of if the Fastrack queue takes you straight to the ride station or to a merge point just beforehand.

I believe the queue jumping tickets were something you could purchase as a one off before you enetered the park and would allow you to jump one ride.  However now you can esentially buy 'top up' queue jumpers all day long and if you're willing to purchase the platinum package you can jump every ride all day as much as you want.
I'm nearly 100% certain the system has always been like this, though it is possibly more advertised now.

I did try the food there, the chicken co or whatever it was and I found it to be perfectly nice...however it was more expensive than the KFC's it replaced.
It's actually not. It's basically the same price (if not slightly cheaper - definitely if you have an Annual Pass) and the quality is great. Same goes for all the other outlets.

On my visits to the park in the past I specifically remember Mcdonalds and KFC charging their normal high street prices on the food...
KFC never used to, I don't know about McDonalds.

the tactic of moving them out to replace them with Merlin's own outlets does allow the park to control the prices of food more, which again feels a little facist
It's not fascist? Is every theme park in the world fascist because it isn't flooded with brands? Or is it just because it is Merlin doing it? They can control price and quality, which both remain great value!
ImageImage

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
As for SW7, looking at the plans this ride looks to be a thrill beast and the people who say its "just a Eurofighter" need to look at the plans more closely. The ride doesn't do the usual formulaic Eurofighter elements (such as the over 90 drop), the theming looks good and the ride experience isn't getting bogged down by a gimmick.

I've seen SW7's plans enough (and the recreations on Youtube). It's just inversion after inversion, all packed into a very small space. The theming looks average (unless they're holding some smaller aspects back, hopefully) and the whole thing isn't as innovative as Nemesis, Oblivion or Air were. It'll be fun, but it still just  looks like Gerstlauer's version of Colossus. Inversion don't make a ride good and one new coaster isn't going to make the park as good as it used to be. :(

But Merlin have proven they can make a good roller coaster with Raptor.

Dormiens-Dave

Mon May 07, 2012 12:08 pm

The irony of these forums is that for years people moan that they wanted a simple inverting roller coaster that isn't bogged down by innovative gimmicks and when it arrives the moaning starts that it doesn't have an innovative gimmick :D

That said we don't exactly know what might be coming and for some reason i;m not altogether sure those plans are as accurate as people think they are. After-all, the roller coaster itself doesn't need planning consent.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 12:11 pm

I've always said that gimmicks are fine, as long as the ride doesn't rely on them and/or the gimmick is worthy of the amount of money and hype put into them. I've also wanted a ride that's a sit down looper too but it seems they've gone a bit mad with the inversions for SW7. :P

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 12:52 pm

hey mrbrightside.

Not all queue jumping system are like this at all..not even close, parks that have thought this through correctly has queue jumping lines that aren't right in front of everybody else.  They still allow the normal queue line to move and flow naturally as it should without stopping it at a certain point to allow others to jump in front.

Dormiens-Dave

Mon May 07, 2012 1:29 pm

8 or 9 inversions isnt that mad but this point is getting off topic.

AT is not in the best place its been at the moment, it needs a massive push to clean up its older theming and upgrade some of its aging infrastructure, if it doesn't there will be huge problems in the future. Saying that some have a poorer view of the place than maybe it deserves.

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 2:00 pm

I know exactly what you mean,i went to AT Yesterday and well tbh by 2pm i was feeling depressed and quite frankly was ready to go home....

its like AT Dont care anymore, what happened to the days when Nemesis lived in a pit with nothing but rock in its domain,When the monster looked multi toned and organic. When Ripsaw acctualy looked like a machine designed to detox people of Nemmies radiation with its Electrodes,Support Covers and the Saws!!. When the Haunted House was still intimidating.  When Blivvy had 4 layers of mist and synced audio with the station despaches. When Air actually looked gracefull and gleaming with its blue paint. i could go on.

Truth be told i remember the days when the first highlight of the day was getting to the car park and seeing a nemmie train creep through the trees(clearly).before taking the monorail into the valley when it looked like a world class area. AT's general motto atm seems to be less is more but that does not immerse or if its broken why fix it.

I remember when atop of Nemmies stall turn was an encampment and the station did not look mouldy, a time when the walk through the woodland provided the perfect contrast to devestatiom and post appocalyptic beauty of the pit with no green or ivy or grass in sight. I miss these days why in the winter periods do they not make each ride look new again. it just seems lazy.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

DiogoJ42

Tue May 08, 2012 2:29 pm

What happened, you say?

Merlin happened. :no: