UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jollylee11
TT Member
TT Member

Re: What has happened to my beloved AT?

Tue May 08, 2012 2:44 pm

DiogoJ42 wrote:
What happened, you say?

Merlin happened. :no:

I personal think Merlin have done wonders for the park, just looking at the days of Spinball & Rita to the days of Thirteen & Sub-Terra is clear to see Merlin are doing a fine job! and making Alton look like it was back in the 90's.

Alton has still got that "magic" people are always on about, their is no other place where you can be relax in one part and fearing the unknown in the other, thats magic for me!

DiogoJ42

Tue May 08, 2012 2:58 pm

...nope, no magic here.

formula1fan

Tue May 08, 2012 3:05 pm

DiogoJ42 wrote:
...nope, no magic here.

There IS magic at Towers. It can be found around the back of Hex. ;)

Charlee
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 4:15 pm

The Magic is coming back, just slowly, VERY slowly.
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Fragga wrote:
hey mrbrightside.

Not all queue jumping system are like this at all..not even close, parks that have thought this through correctly has queue jumping lines that aren't right in front of everybody else.  They still allow the normal queue line to move and flow naturally as it should without stopping it at a certain point to allow others to jump in front.
The problem is that for some rides, Fastrack was added after the ride was built (which makes Nemesis' merge point so frustrating). Other rides work well, Oblivion's in particular as it goes straight to the station.

I disagree with Fastrack, but other than using ride exits, it's very hard to 'hide' a Fastrack queue considering they need to end up in the same place as the main queueline.

----------------

As for magic, Merlin are beginning to show they can provide it... It's taking time, but it is slowly coming. Late Tussauds hardly helped with the inherited situation though.
ImageImage

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 pm

They'd best hurry up about it then. They've been in charge for long enough now, so they should have had enough time to showcase what they can do.

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Jollylee11 wrote:
I personal think Merlin have done wonders for the park, just looking at the days of Spinball & Rita to the days of Thirteen & Sub-Terra is clear to see Merlin are doing a fine job! and making Alton look like it was back in the 90's.

Alton has still got that "magic" people are always on about, their is no other place where you can be relax in one part and fearing the unknown in the other, thats magic for me!

Your joking right?  All Merlin have done to the park is make it one of the biggest money grabbing attractions in the UK.  They introduced the car parking charge, the express parking charge, the other extra charges here and there sich as debit card booking fees on the internet, Merlin havent injected any magic into the park at all, back in the 80's and early 90's was when there was magic, before Merlin owned it, and in particular before Tussuads took it over, they were the magic days.

All the park is about now is emptying the pockets of anyone who enters!!!  Unless.... hmm.... thats the magic, the magic of entering with money, and leaving wondering where the heck it all went!

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Hey look, there's Merlin taking the blame for things that existed before they brought out Tussauds...

DIC always seem to get ignored when it comes down to who introduced it don't they? As said, Merlin are better than those days of Rita and Spinball, or were we happy with such additions? Themeless, poorly thought out and making no attempt to immerse guests?

There are no Fastrack queues in the world that do not affect the main queue unless they have similar systems to Disney or Universal on dual stations (see Mummy, Space Mountain)... Many other queuejump systems I have used (be it Qbot or VIP or fastrack) all make the queue go slow, whether I join the ride before onload or if I come in on offload... It's just the way it goes...

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 7:47 pm

The DIC Tussauds days were bad.

But in some ways they seemed better than now because there was at least some magic left from the 90s, whereas now a lot more is gone due to Merlin.

Ripsaw Raver, some people seem to think that nice green trees and ivy looks good in Forbidden Valley, but I agree with you - it does NOT. A post apocalypic theme should be all but devoid of greenery with bare jagged rocks and rusty metal.

And I'm still waiting for the day they chop them ugly trees down in X-Sector...

cybermen39
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 8:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQjFgddm ... detailpage this is what some of the magic should be

roary01
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 pm

That video CLEARLY shows how much character Towers Street HAS LOST!!!

This is how Towers St should be!!

Not one side of the the street been offices, worn out themed buildings, sort it out!!

this is the first impression of the park!

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 8:44 pm

You could literally feel just how special the place was just by watching that video.

Especially at the end when you see the old Skyride with the Corkscrew in the background....it makes you realise just how devoid of atmosphere that area of the park is these days with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Dark Forest.

No, the rides weren't as good or spectacular as they are today back then, but it's pretty sad if you measure the enjoyment of a day out by the number of coasters you get on.

And the simple things are often the best - take that old Motor Museum for example. I lnow they say that those sort of things are old fashioned and not demanded by visitors these days....but I know loads of people who'd love a stroll around a good collection of motors.

:)

cybermen39
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Hopefully the entertaiments managers read some of these threads and take note. It makes you happy before you start your day and finishes it off nicely to. You don't get that these days and it could be so easy for them to do. You can dream anyhow.

roary01
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 8:53 pm

cybermen39 wrote:
Hopefully the entertaiments managers read some of these threads and take note. It makes you happy before you start your day and finishes it off nicely to. You don't get that these days and it could be so easy for them to do. You can dream anyhow.

You had any further messages about ice shows... from Alton Towers?? they asked for anymore videos lately?

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 09, 2012 1:49 am

It certainally did have a magic, always remember it from back in the early 90's with the Thunderlooper, The Beast, Black Hole, Energiser, 1001 Nights, Corkscrew, and of course, the graceful swans floating around on the lake.  The late night openings, the parades, and the fun atmosphere which was there every time I visited.

Unfortunately the magic now has been swallowed up by corporate greed, thought I will say the customer service has much improved over the years in the park, as has the food.  I always remember the fast food place up by CATCF which Alton used to run, and how dire the food was!!!  Then again, BK aint much better it has to be said!

For me, Alton isnt Alton without the whine of the Corkscrew and that famous yellow track!  Yeah it was an old rickity ride which gave people headaches, but it hardly ever broke down, always had a queue, and lets face it - it was part of Alton as much as the Towers is. 

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 09, 2012 7:00 am

I'd love to see a parade once in a while, as well as a brass band playing tunes from around the park. I'd like to see more effort put into the gardening (more flowers, better kept lawns, etc...) and some tlc for theming which has seen much better days. Bigger shows and a return of the ice show would be awesome too.

Last year I'd have also said that I'd like to see more characters walking around the park, but on my last visit (the Saturday before last) we ran past the photographers in Towers Street and were greeted by about three or four characters walking around, waving at children and skipping and other funny, heart-warming things. I'm glad to see that effort is being put in there.

:)

cybermen39
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi do you know what characters they were. Were they Fin the Shark, Squirell Nutty and Alton Bear or new ones just wondered. But its good anyhow to see a bit of something coming back.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 09, 2012 3:14 pm

The characters I saw were Fin the Shark, Squirrel Nutty, Sonic and there may have been another but I can't remember. We practically ran down Towers Street so that we wouldn't have to stop for a photo. :P

Poison Tom 96

Wed May 09, 2012 4:22 pm

People need to accept that the 90's magic has gone.

What is in it's fledgling stages at the moment is a new, different sort of magic and some people are not prepared for this.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 09, 2012 4:38 pm

What has happened to my beloved AT?

An awful greedy company called Merlin came along and destroyed one of the greatest British brands to ever have existed - Tussauds. While they were up to this nonsense, they also plotted ways to give you as little as possible for more money at Alton Towers.

Poison Tom 96 wrote:
People need to accept that the 90's magic has gone.

What is in it's fledgling stages at the moment is a new, different sort of magic and some people are not prepared for this.

The only magic going on here is when you get to the bottom of Towers Street, look in your wallet and go "hey, where the  f***'s my money gone??".  Of course its not quite that bad, they still make sure to leave you with £6 so you can pay to get out of the car park and go home.