UK theme parks from another point of view!

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

A question or two about Th13teen

Sun May 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Ok I've just watched some footage of one of the first times Thi13teen got ridden and noticed that when you go into the building part of the track where you drop. before they actually falll, a curtain or something closes behind you to make it very dark in there for when you do drop. now I'm cant be sure about this 100% as im really testing y memory here but I don't think that Its ever done that when I've rode Th13teen, in fact it's been quite bright in there. And I've rode it at least 7 times now. My question/s are obvious by now. Did it ever have a curtain or door that closes behind you and if it did why has it been removed or if it is still there why has it never happened with me in there? Because I think that would make it really awesome.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

oldgitBEN

Re: A question or two about Th13teen

Sun May 06, 2012 11:05 pm

There is a door, its a solid one at that, not a curtain. In my mind i see it as a garage door / shutter type thing.

I certainly have noticed that it doesnt always close fully before the drops commence, I believe at busier periods it is an element that isnt always utilised, if you were to visit on a quiet day you should fully experience it.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2012 11:09 pm

oldgitBEN wrote:
There is a door, its a solid one at that, not a curtain. In my mind i see it as a garage door / shutter type thing.

I certainly have noticed that it doesnt always close fully before the drops commence, I believe at busier periods it is an element that isnt always utilised, if you were to visit on a quiet day you should fully experience it.

Every trip I've ever made to Alton towers has been on a mid week day (normally a Wednesday) in late April/early May (making sure to avoid holidays) I can't think of a quieter time to go. Thank you for your reply though. How long does it take these shutter to close?

Paul Morgster

Sun May 06, 2012 11:10 pm

It's always there and always works as far as I know. Have a look behind you next time you go on.  :)

BigHairJoe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah it has always been there but by half way through last season it stopped coming down every time this season it doesn't always come down either but if you ride it twice in one day first time it could stay open second it could not.

oldgitBEN

Sun May 06, 2012 11:15 pm

ah that explains it, I assumed it was a through-put issue.

It is only a matter of seconds it takes to close, and certainly improves the experience, however it must have a significant impact over the space of an hour for alton to stop using it fully. Shame.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Paul Morgster wrote:
It's always there and always works as far as I know. Have a look behind you next time you go on.  :)
lmao I've never seen it. But I never notice a difference in light and can see all details on the floor/walls etc up untill the drop obviously. Maybe it's not prominent enough for my senses to spot it. :/ definately going to grab a back seat and look at it when I can next get up there. And I rode it twice about a week ago. And before that I rode it 5 times last year and I really cant remember last year. But I would bet my eye sight (which appears to be crap lol) that it definately didnt go dark in there last week. Hmmm is there someone who's been on there within the last week or two that can guarantee me it does work?

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 8:03 am

oldgitBEN wrote:
It is only a matter of seconds it takes to close, and certainly improves the experience, however it must have a significant impact over the space of an hour for alton to stop using it fully. Shame. [/color]

It's just unreliable, is all. So, sometimes it shuts, sometimes it doesn't. Has nothing to do with whether towers wants it to or not, it's meant to always close :)

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2012 12:55 pm

It's probably the ride I go on the most, and it's always shut on me. Even on peak days, with multiple rides  :?

djtruefitt

Mon May 07, 2012 5:54 pm

I would say on all my rides on TH13TEEN I have only seen the door not close 2 or 3 times, every other time it has always closed. You do really notice when it hasnt closed as its really bright in there, even when you go to the bottom room.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 6:42 pm

djtruefitt wrote:
I would say on all my rides on TH13TEEN I have only seen the door not close 2 or 3 times, every other time it has always closed. You do really notice when it hasnt closed as its really bright in there, even when you go to the bottom room.

That's what makes me believe I haven't had the door close on me because it really was bright in there every time i rode it. I went up wednesday just gone (2/5/12).

Blaze

Mon May 07, 2012 6:56 pm

I think it's just unreliable, as far as I know it's just a shutter, so the motor probably takes a beating moving up and down every minute for 8 hours every day.

I don't think it makes that much difference, you only really notice it that much on a sunny day, but it is a worthwhile little effect, the darker the crypt is the better.