UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The death of the (remaining) magic

Sun May 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Too many negative people on here.

Try not visiting for a season, get off this forums and try it again a year later. That's what I did and felt like I was 12 again on my last visit.

Jus' sayin' ya'll.

Jollylee11
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Oh another topic on how the magic of Alton Towers has died  :bored:
To me "The Magic" was a simple marketing tag line, I can't remember feeling anymore "magical" back in Tussauds times than i do now

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm shocked when people say that the park is still as magical as ever. If you class a sun-faded, rotting swinger as 'magic' then your mind would have been blown if you'd have visited in the 90's. It's such a shame to see rides we love fall into a bad state and recent attractions that started out looking good suddenly looking like they've sat untouched for many, many years. I love Alton Towers and I really do hope that there's a light at the end of this tunnel.

I hope that Merlin and Alton Towers see these comments and think about how they're operating the park and the others too. Money is important to keep any business going, but it's getting to be too much and the existing attractions are suffering in place of new rides and ever increasing profits. There needs to be a better balance between how much money they rake in and how much they actually put back into the attractions. It's all well building another viewing tower on the coast but what about giving the existing things some tlc?

Excellent post, Russell. :)

aru
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 9:41 pm

I would say that the 'magic' years are to some extent seen through rose tinted glasses. There is still no denying that the park should invest in a jet-washer and do some basic cleaning of themeing.

Sure, with the UK climate the park is bound to get grubby - but still no excuse to close the park for 5 months and do nothing to the flagship rides.

I don't think that the park is on a downward spiral, as it is no worse than I have seen it in the past. I struggle to see that much improvement though which makes me that the park are settling for grubby. Merlin will not stop AT jet-washing the Nemesis monster / Oblivions station, AT could find the money in the budget themselves if they really wanted to do it!  :)

Dormiens-Dave

Sun May 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Wes wrote:
Too many negative people on here.

Try not visiting for a season, get off this forums and try it again a year later. That's what I did and felt like I was 12 again on my last visit.

Jus' sayin' ya'll.

So just me not going to the park for a year would mean the Nemesis monster would stop looking like its rotting away, Oblivion wouldn't have its wooden base showing through and the fading paint around the park would get touched up...

I never knew my presence was the cause of these issues :D

In all seriousness when non-enthusiasts who are visiting once a year start telling me how crap the park looks i don't think that logic will work. And this isn't about the old magic, its about having a quality product not one thats rotting. I wish people wouldn't try and twist the argument to glasses.. rose tinted or otherwise
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Sun May 13, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Asides from perhaps the inside of Th13teen's station and parts of Cloud Cuckoo Land, I genuinly can't think of any part of the park which is in a good state of repair.

The worst thing however is not the lack of mantenance, but the very poor job of trying to improve things by cutting corners.

The most common example is the use of bright primary coloured paint to 'attempt' to spruce things up. This has actually damaged some parts of the park, such as X-Sector, even more than just leaving things to decay.

Dormiens-Dave

Sun May 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Mutiny bay is mostly looking fine (now Marauders has been painted)
Katanga Canyon isn't bad
Duel is the best its been in ages
Farm is grand

Just to point out not everything is bad, i do like balance :D

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 pm

I've pretty much given up on this topic (By that, I don't mean this topic started by Russel, I mean the subject of the parks current state as a whole). The park is in an awful state. Why do people still try and say that the park is even half as good as either it was back in the 90's, or as good as continental parks such as Europa or DLP? It isn't. The park is full of up-selling, full of decaying rides and most of all, a 100% bloody rip off. Why do people think £42 is an acceptable fee for spending 6 hours in a park like this? I would never pay full entry for Alton Towers nowadays, but luckily I have a MAP so don't have to.

Forgive me, but I think I may be paying Pleasure Beach or Thorpe a visit as opposed to Alton next time I fancy going to a theme park.

Dormiens-Dave

Sun May 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Thorpe charge more, Pleasure Beach isn't far off and 5% of people pay £42 to get in the park... again balance

Doesn't detract from the original argument that the park looks very very tired.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 pm

First of all, Thorpe are located in London, where prices are higher than the national average. I'm not justifying this, but this applies to pretty much every business in London. Look at the price of a pint in London compared to up north at Wetherspoons for example. And besides, not only are most rides at Thorpe in a better state, but the parks open for longer as well. Meaning better value for money.

Also, PBB charge £32, which is £10 less. I would say this is the price a park like Alton should be charging.

Dormiens-Dave

Sun May 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Pleasure beach depend less on advertising by BOGOF and discount... Towers have used that method since the magic days.

And Thorpe may be in London but its also half the size, a pint in London is the same quality and amount as a pint in Leeds just different price

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 9:59 pm

It is half the size, however it has around the amount of rides, just less time spent walking from area to area.

AstroDan

Sun May 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I wouldn't kid yourself about Thorpe Park. It's only because more of their rides are newer - nearly every ride you'll go on at Thorpe Park has been built since 2001.

Whereas many of the rides you go on at Alton are much, much older than that - going right back to the early 1980s.

Old rides at Thorpe: Rumba Rapids? Loggers Leap? Hardly in fine states - in fact Rumba Rapids it's utterly hideous. Have you SEEN that queueline and tunnel recently?

:)

Shockadelica
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Another much-needed topic about the supposed 'decline' of Alton Towers.  Whether people like it or not, throughout its life as a theme park it's had good and bad and has the same ratio of good and bad now that it's always had.

It's like people who watch a film and instead of enjoying it, spend their time looking for minor continuity errors and plot holes, then reminisce about the 'Golden Age' of cinema that never actually was.

It's a simple fact:  when you first start visiting AT, you're constantly thrilled by the attractions and the park as a whole.  The more you visit, the older you get, the less thrilled you get by the attractions and you start to look for the negatives.  Boredom and repetition does that.  It's the same with a lot of things in life.

AT has always, always, had bad points.  It's up to you whether you let them spoil your day or not.

If the current state of the park's bothering you, then simply don't go.  There's a good 2 million or so people who still will, and they'll be enjoying themselves, not moaning about a bit of paint out of place.
For the third time that day, his flaps fell off.

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 10:04 pm

AstroDan wrote:
. Have you SEEN that queueline and tunnel recently?

I'm afraid I haven't been to Thorpe since 2010, but I can imagine it's in a pretty bad state.

AstroDan

Sun May 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Shockadelica wrote:
Another much-needed topic about the supposed 'decline' of Alton Towers.  Whether people like it or not, throughout its life as a theme park it's had good and bad and has the same ratio of good and bad now that it's always had.

It's like people who watch a film and instead of enjoying it, spend their time looking for minor continuity errors and plot holes, then reminisce about the 'Golden Age' of cinema that never actually was.

It's a simple fact:  when you first start visiting AT, you're constantly thrilled by the attractions and the park as a whole.  The more you visit, the older you get, the less thrilled you get by the attractions and you start to look for the negatives.  Boredom and repetition does that.  It's the same with a lot of things in life.

AT has always, always, had bad points.  It's up to you whether you let them spoil your day or not.

If the current state of the park's bothering you, then simply don't go.  There's a good 2 million or so people who still will, and they'll be enjoying themselves, not moaning about a bit of paint out of place.

That sort of blazé and "let it be" attitude is what will hold the place back, though. It is because folk have a deep love of the place that they continue to go.

Do you not feel that the park is currently being blighted by a cost cutting empire, holding back what the park managers really want to achieve?

Alton is still a decent day out. It's like there's an invisble ceiling on it, though. Trapping amazing things that cannot get out.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Jollylee11 wrote:
Oh another topic on how the magic of Alton Towers has died  :bored:
To me "The Magic" was a simple marketing tag line, I can't remember feeling anymore "magical" back in Tussauds times than i do now

Where's the dislike button when you need it. Try reading the original post before making some generic statement. This isn't about "the magic" it's about basic standards of park upkeep which in recent years has been almost nonexistent.
ImageImage

Russell
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun May 13, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm not going to stop going to a park that I love and have a genuine passion for and have had man, many amazing times at. This topic was created as a way that I could get the frustrations out and hope for some small chance that it may get the TLC it deserves!
Since April 2008

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2012 10:12 pm

AstroDan wrote:
Rumba Rapids it's utterly hideous. Have you SEEN that queueline and tunnel recently?

Could it just be the worst Intamin rapids ride ever built?

Thorpe Park is not in a good state. Look at Colossus, the track and supports are disgusting, it's overgrown with weeds, the pools underneath are silted up and disgusting. Building the SAW attractions practically on top of it has done it no favours either.

And just like the Nemesis monster, Inferno's station is slowly rotting away bit by bit. Tidal Wave is looking pretty awful as well these days, a lot of theming and effects have been lost.

Let' not even get started with X, Storm Surge, Ranger's County (or what's left) and Canada Creek.

MinteButtons

Sun May 13, 2012 10:13 pm

On a more serious note, I am really surprised at the state of the park. Yes, the two new attractions are decent and will bring in visitors - but having a decaying park won't bring them back!

The toilets seem to always be grimy, they're freezing and the taps are just awful!
Most of the park is looking okay - I was surprised that the pay to play guns in Katanga are themed, that was a nice surprise.

But the Nemesis station is shameful. The whole centrepiece of the ride and it's falling apart! The longer that is left to rot, the harder it will be to repair, I think we're going to see the station going or very shoddily repaired soon...

Dark Forest - the theming is minimal but nothing will be done about that. IIRC, the Ug Land paint was starting to come back through last year! Merlin may be second to Disney with visitors but certainly not quality.

I do feel for the park, as surely they don't want to see it rotting - it's coming from further up. Merlin's flaghead park needs some work, little features that would be great improvements.