UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
John
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3405
Joined: November 2005

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Wed May 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Blaze wrote:
I'm guessing this is because they've seen our reactions to what they've done at Chessie and Thorpe, and know we wouldn't stand for any Alton rides being closed until mid day.

Cowards.

...but they already know what the reaction to this will be - they've tried it before and the backlash was absolutely huge.
 
User avatar
CoventryBee
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 113
Joined: August 2009
Location: Rugby

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Wed May 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
CoventryBee wrote:

Drayton Manor is only really up the road from me... it looks increasingly likely that I'll be visiting there more often. Besides, I still haven't ridden Maelstrom... I now have more reason than ever to visit the park.



Have people forgotten Drayton have put up prices and started charging for parking for a repaint of some buildings and a bit of grass?

Just to maintain balance :D


Granted, this is true. And whilst Drayton is also expensive, we don't see such pathetic cutbacks in order to earn profits. Don't get me wrong, Drayton isn't my ideal choice of Theme Park. But at least they seem to have some idea of guest experience. And yes, I've heard the drastic stories about ride operators at Drayton Manor.

The only good thing going for Alton Towers right now is the staff who work there, who are wonderful and on many occasion really make my day.
 
User avatar
Sam
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 5557
Joined: May 2008
Location: People's Socialist Republic of Sheffield
Contact:

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 pm

I do worry about the overuse of the word "disgusting", which is trotted out frequently in the discussion surrounding every one of Merlin/Alton's unpopular decisions.

A policy change regarding the opening times of a theme park transportation system on off-peak visitor days isn't "disgusting".
 
User avatar
mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1100
Joined: July 2011
Location: Norwich

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Wed May 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Sam wrote:
I do worry about the overuse of the word "disgusting", which is trotted out frequently in the discussion surrounding every one of Merlin/Alton's unpopular decisions.

A policy change regarding the opening times of a theme park transportation system on off-peak visitor days isn't "disgusting".
Whilst I agree the word is banded around a lot, I don't think it is unfounded for people to use it regarding the attraction in question.

Think about young children, the elderly and the disabled. They will be severely disadvantaged because of this short-sighted decision and therefore they are quite right to be disgusted.
ImageImage
 
Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1990
Joined: January 2010

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 12:01 am

To everyone who sent an E Mail:

I guarantee we will all just get the same standard reply that basically states "Merlin Entertainments is second only to Disney" and "Provide the UK's largest amount of visitor attraction".

:|
 
User avatar
lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 237
Joined: July 2011
Location: London

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 12:13 am

Ritadz wrote:
To everyone who sent an E Mail:

I guarantee we will all just get the same standard reply that basically states "Merlin Entertainments is second only to Disney" and "Provide the UK's largest amount of visitor attraction".

:|


Most likely, but i've got a good track record of getting answers from major companies, so i'll keep trying until I do.
 
User avatar
John
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3405
Joined: November 2005

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 12:16 am

Once again a certain Yorkshire park is quick to jump on negative news from AT:

Image
 
Dormiens-Dave

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 12:25 am

Worryingly desperate over at LWV it seems
 
User avatar
Rob L
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2740
Joined: March 2007
Location: Rothley, Leicester
Contact:

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 1:07 am

Such a shame that their stunning Yorkshire countryside isn't a patch on Towers setting and surroundings! However much this cut at Towers is awful, Lightwater continue with petty "marketing" (I know it's not really marketing but I can't think of a better word) via social media. Alas they will never be comparable to Towers.

Back on topic, I feel another letter to Merlin coming on regarding this and the general state of the park. I love writing to them as much as they probably get annoyed seeing another envelope with my handwriting on it come through their letter box! :P

:)
Image

Image
 
tonyspurs81
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 15
Joined: September 2011

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 6:43 am

I have a condition where I occasionally get swollen joints (my knee and heel mainly) when I walk long distances. I visited Towers last week and if it wasn't for the skyride it is almost certain we would have left early. We wanted to do the coasters a second time, so we just jumped on skyride from FV to DF. It was so simple and easy.  If I had to walk across the valley or go the long way around we simply wouldn't have done as much.

This is a very poor decision by Merlin and would make me consider visiting.
 
User avatar
BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2265
Joined: June 2010
Location: South East Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 6:53 am

This is why Merlin need more competition. If it wasn't for the fact that they've got the largest foothold of the UK entertainments then I assume that most or even none of these cost saving methods would have been implemented. How I wish another big theme park could be set up over here. It'd be game-on for Merlin and a much needed kick up their complacent backsides too!

How long until we see less shuttles on Oblivion? How long until wee see later opening times for the least popular areas during "off-peak" days, as well as the reduced work for current staff and the affect it'd have on their wages? What about less cars on Duel? What about closing the monorail and only running it during the holidays and busier weekends"? When will it end?

:(
 
thefatone
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 879
Joined: January 2011
Location: Hidden behind an ancient bookcase..

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 7:15 am

Wow, this has blown out of proportion a bit.

AFAIK Skyride is only closed on the designated small days - those with guests of less than 6000. That's the 4pms, or the 5pms until schools start appearing.

Drayton Manor - increased prices hugely, created car parking charges to compete directly with merlin, yet does not have a premier park, has only painted a few rides, and still has rides opening at midday because its quiet. Drayton is still way worse off than towers.
 
AstroDan

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 am

The Skyride I believe will only operate on 'large' days.

The closure won't ruin my own day. But I do not agree with it, for Air to Rita is quite a chore without it, and I feel for less mobile guests.

The cuts are clear across the parks now, and obviously times are desperate for them. I just hope Alton isn't being asked to make cuts in order to plug gaps in another part of Merlin's portfolio.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
Sam
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 5557
Joined: May 2008
Location: People's Socialist Republic of Sheffield
Contact:

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 7:29 am

Always mystified by the dislike towards LWV's Facebook wind ups. Isn't it the point of capitalism and competition that you try to explain why your product is better than your competitor in some way?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
 
User avatar
Dylan
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1097
Joined: December 2008
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 7:58 am

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but let's assume that the park backs down to peer pressure on this (it's happened before with Fanta and Ents/Subs) due to another uproar by guests and a hammering of their Facebook wall.
They will be sure to put another plan in place to make that significant saving somewhere, I hope it's not something that will have a worse effect on everyone than the Skyride closure on off peak days.

I don't agree with the decision by the way, I think it will have a detrimental effect on the enjoyment of lots of people 's visits. I just worry about what could come next.
 
User avatar
Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2730
Joined: September 2009
Location: Cambridge

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 8:05 am

BigAl wrote:
How long until wee see later opening times for the least popular areas during "off-peak" days


You see I wouldn't mind that at Alton as it takes so long to get to certain areas on the park that I don't even notice rides like the rapids and flume when they open later in the day.


I can't believe we were only recently saying how closing the Skyride was deemed a massive mistake last time they tried it and now they've done it again. As with when it had the massive down time last year I shall not be visiting with my family during these times because regardless of how short the queues are that day it is impractical for us to cross the park with a partially disabled family member. To us the Skyride is almost as important to the enjoyment of are day as one of the coasters.

I hate having to repeat myself on this matter, especially as this time there’s no good reason for the Skyride to be closed.
Last edited by Nightfall on Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
 
AstroDan

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 8:43 am

As Dylan says, the park obviously have to make savings. If they didn't, then they wouldn't be doing this.

It could well be that this is the best and least damaging way of doing it. Obviously I worry that there could then be more, and more, but ultimately I want to see the park come out of this and just be successful.

Whilst I disagree with Skyride being shut, on reflection, I am finding one or two comments perhaps *slightly* extreme. Yes it is bad. Yes I will voice my dissatisfaction but I am not going to throw my toys out, because it is a problem everywhere.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
 
Satch

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 8:59 am

They don't need to make savings as they are not loss making. Sure, guests were down on budget and are down this year too, but they are still seeing guest turnover increase ever higher.

This is the case that Merlin have designated x budget between the three parks, thinking that if they are considered in a consolidated budget it will be cheaper to run. However, this is neglecting the fact that each park runs independently to each other, and budget is not so easily divided between the three as Merlin might think. And it's ultimately not enough to keep each park running operationally to how it would be expected
 
Islander
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2339
Joined: March 2009
Location: Space Station Mir
Contact:

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 9:01 am

Sam wrote:
Always mystified by the dislike towards LWV's Facebook wind ups. Isn't it the point of capitalism and competition that you try to explain why your product is better than your competitor in some way?

It just seems childish. You have to question why they don't put as much effort into marketing when Merlin haven't screwed up.

Of course companies should try and explain why their product is better than their competition, but IMO that should be done by highlighting how good you are, not how poor the competition is. It reeks of desperation.
 
User avatar
kingbling11
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 51
Joined: October 2008

Re: Off Peak Closure of SkyRide and Other Cuts

Thu May 17, 2012 10:24 am

Is anybody on park today that can confirm whether the skyride is open or not?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 62 guests