UK theme parks from another point of view!

hex4ever
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers Continues Legal Battle Against Ticket Touts

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:52 pm

It appears that a smaller theme park related site on facebook has some information;

Alton Towers, the leading theme park in UK, has hit back hard at ticket touts who have increasingly sought to make illegal profits from selling promotional vouchers to the Resort - vouchers obtained free through marketing offers on retail products and in newspapers. These typically become void on resale but are misrepresented by the touts as valid.

Having gained an injunction stopping such activity, Alton Towers went one step further by prosecuting an individual repeat offender – the first time any attraction has taken such action. This resulted in a landmark judgement recently at Stoke on Trent County Court, when a resident from Manchester was sentenced to four months in prison for selling Alton Towers promotional vouchers in breach of the injunction.

“This is an excellent result for us,” said Ian Crabbe, Divisional Director, Alton Towers Resort. “It sends out a very strong message to anybody else involved in this type of activity that we will not stand still and allow touts to ‘hijack’ our business. The Judge was very clear that a Court Injunction is not something that can be ignored and we will continue to pursue these individuals to the full extent of the law to ensure that they are suitably punished."

He adds, "I also hope that this judgement will highlight the problem to the public as a whole. I do not believe that those who buy from touts fully appreciate the vouchers they are paying for cease to be valid for entry when they are purchased from a tout. More than that, longer term this illegal activity not only negatively impacts our business, but even more importantly puts at risk our long term programme of excellent value promotions, promotions which are designed to benefit many thousands of families who visit the Resort.”

The link is here, found this while flicking through Alton's facebook;  http://www.facebook.com/CoasterCriticsUk

I'm kind of looking for confirmation on this as these little sites can never be  :lol:
Last edited by hex4ever on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Th13teen wasn't over hyped, just over anticipated

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Continues Legal Battle Against Ticket Touts

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:34 pm

The court case and quotes are legitimate, as is the injunction.

iNemesis

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:45 pm

I am completely in favor of this action! Promotional tickets are supposed to be just that - promotions! When these are sold on at profit, for the individual who, in most cases, acquired them for free, Alton Towers lose out on sales through a Promotion they ran themselves! They aren't going to keep quiet & allow this to happen!

Let's hope that this is the beginning of more Touts to be cornered!

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 pm

There's a ton of these on eBay so the injunction's effectiveness is questionable.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:31 pm

I notice that the guys who sold tickets by the JCB turning have gone. They even had signs telling guests where to go for cheaper  tickets. I noticed a few outside near the coach park ticket office selling next day tickets and return tickets.

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:32 pm

In regards to the free tickets being "void after resale", how is it even possible for any of the park's staff to look at the tickets and tell they have been resold?

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:33 pm

^ Statements like that make getting injunctions easier.

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 am

I take it this injunction covers sales of tickets. and does not cover giving mates the 2 for 1 offer slips off items from a supermarket, so they can use them to get tickets from alton themselves? 

iNemesis

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:58 am

Delta79 wrote:
I take it this injunction covers sales of tickets. and does not cover giving mates the 2 for 1 offer slips off items from a supermarket, so they can use them to get tickets from alton themselves?

You can 'give' your friends a 2-4-1 voucher if you so wish, but you must not accept payment for said voucher. It was a promotion that you took part in & acquired it via, and should not be sold on for profit.

The vast majority of visitors have plenty of vouchers available, and sometimes have spares that they Hand to others in the queue. This is fine, as long as nobody is financially gaining from redistributing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hex4ever
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:58 am

Well I've heard rumors (don't take me on this) but the park has started contacting the ebay sellers and requesting the removals of the tickets and then voiding them.  Its the whole idea of getting something for nothing, there's even people selling the 241 offers that you can get from just about anywhere for free.

On my last visit I witnessed some very used guests who had bought tickets from a guy in stoke, he was selling park tickets for £15 each so they bought 8 and went on a family trip, it turns out that the man had bought one ticket and just re printed them on some descent card. So of course the ticket had been spent and the bar code didn't work equaling a very upset family and complaints made to the park on their behalf.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:09 am

Ritadz wrote:
In regards to the free tickets being "void after resale", how is it even possible for any of the park's staff to look at the tickets and tell they have been resold?

'Cause loads of people on eBay etc. are stupid enough to post pictures of the tickets, barcodes and all, on their listing. Towers trawl these listings, and void any barcode numbers they see on the turnstile system.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:11 am

I find it more likely that the park will approach eBay itself and inform them about the injunction, hoping that all vouchers will be removed as per football tickets, whose resale is also illegal.

I guess it's possible they are contacting individuals, but it seems a very inefficient wya of doing things - and we all know how much Ian Crabbe likes efficiency.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 am

Islander wrote:
Ritadz wrote:

'Cause loads of people on eBay etc. are stupid enough to post pictures of the tickets, barcodes and all, on their listing. Towers trawl these listings, and void any barcode numbers they see on the turnstile system.

I think you're thinking of The Sun free tickets etc? This story relates to the sale of the free '2 for 1' (or 50% off last year) vouchers.

hex4ever
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:56 pm

The fact is that the problem has grown to such an extent where it will be incredibly difficult to stop. The only way I can see it being stopped on ebay is contacting ebay and requesting that in future they will not be aloud to go on sale, similar things are already in place on ebay for weapons and alcohol. And bootleg ticket sellers will need to be addressed by the local authorities as well as the park because it is illegal. Some awareness signs cant go amiss though, just warning people about ticket sellers and asking for any information.

JayMMayer

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:59 pm

On this matter, on a recent visit in May (last month), there was this person by the Car Park monorail station asking everyone walking by him, "Are you paying full price for your ticket today?" I'm not sure what he was actually doing exactly, but it was probably something like selling cheap tickets, selling (or giving away) vouchers, etc.

It was funny, because I remember saying to another person in my group, 'He'll probably be thrown off the resort a bit later.'