UK theme parks from another point of view!

Which Coaster Do You Currently Prefer

Poll runs till Tue Sep 19, 2056 6:57 pm

Nemesis
26 (51%)
Jubilee Odysse
4 (8%)
Only Have Experience One
21 (41%)
Have Not Experienced Either
No votes

Total votes: 51

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Nemesis vs Jubilee Odysse

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 pm

These are two british inverted coasters and in my mind both of them are world class coasters however the main contrast between the two coasters is the outstanding and tightness that Nemesis allow the riders to experience, whilst on the odysse the speed and the endless amount of inversions and scale of the rollercoaster are the elements that make's this ride spectacular.

Fact File

Nemesis                                                                  Jubilee Odysse

Ride Type:    B&M Inverted                                                              Vekoma (SLC)
Cost:            £10 Million                                                                  £28 Million
Height:          43ft                                                                            167ft (Third Tallest in U.K)
Drop Height:  104ft                                                                          141ft       
Speed:          50mph                                                                        63mph
Inversions:    4                                                                                5
G-Force        4G's                                                                            4.8G's             

Topics to debate about!
-Even though Nemesis is not as Tall, Fast and Expensive what makes it a more popular and thrilling coaster?
-If the odyssey had theming like Nemesis's would it be the worls Number one Coaster?
-Which coaster would you prefer to ride if it was your last rollercoaster this year?

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: Nemesis vs Jubilee Odysse

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Jubilee Odysee

Nemesis

RyanY
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:47 am

Having ridden Nemesis two weeks ago and ridden Jubilee Odyssey yesterday, both experiences are fresh in my mind.

There's no doubt Jubilee Odyssey is a class ride, but it's no where near as good as Nemesis. Nemesis is made by B&M which means its super smooth and the restraints are comfortable. While Jubilee Odyssey is made by Vekoma, which means it's far from super smooth and the restraints aren't comfortable. I remember that in places on Jubilee Odyssey, my face planted on one side of the restraint and that isn't very comfortable. Also maintenance is an issue that has to be thought of when comparing rides, Nemesis is very reliable and hardly ever breaks down apart from rare occasions. While on Jubilee Odyssey yesterday, one of the restraints on row 6 or 7 was missing, a toy Panda was sitting in its place. And while yesterday Jubilee Odyssey didn't break down (I think), on some occasions it doesn't open all day, due to high winds, I know thats not the coasters fault, but some days it regularly breaks down due to the lift hill being knackered.

There are many other reasons Nemesis is better, such as theme, landscape and throughput.

I think comparing these two proves that height and speed don't make a ride better.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 am

Nemesis. An artful craft derived from the mind of the designer who brought us the Flyer and Dive Machine and thought out how to place such an immense, smooth, perfectly paced coaster in such a tightly confined space full of engineering challenges and topographical nightmares. Still regarded by many, even after a valiant 18 years as the world's best roller coaster.

Oddessy. They plonked it there, gave it a name and sometimes it can't even get around its own course.

Nemesis is special. If you want a huge invert, Alpengeist and Montu are hundreds of times better. And to answer your point about theming on Oddessy and its chances of being the worlds greatest, you could build a volcano around it it would still be worse than the big B&M inverts, ie. Alpengeist, Montu, Pyrenees etc.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 am

I haven’t been on Jubilee Odyssey however I can tell you hands down that there is no competition. Nemesis is a world class ride that is frequently ranked one of the best in the world. Jubilee Odyssey may be a decent coaster but it’s not world class. It’s not even that well known in Brittan. Despite Fantasy Island not being too far away from where I live I haven’t had any desire to visit just for two reasonably good Vekoma’s and neither do I know anyone else locally who has been there.

That’s as far as I can compare the two without actually riding them both. I will note that I have heard decent things about the ride it’s just not in the same league as Nemesis even if we ignore Nemesis’s amazing landscaping and theme.
ImageImage

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 am

Jubilee Odyssey is an incredible ride that too few people have experienced. I used to rate it above Nemesis but it is a little too lumbering through some elements and rather rough. The first drop is incredible and unique in this country for being so high on an inverted ride.

But Nemesis is just brilliantly intense, close to rock and water. It's sensational on the front and back rows for different reasons - it just about shaves it.

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:00 pm

I went to the Butlins Skegness, just so I could try this ride! I can tell you, it does not disappoint but the theme and atmosphere around it does! Its an incredibly expensive coaster to ride, and to build to start with! Although it is great, and would happily ride it again and again!
But you cannot compare with Nemesis, its a shame its not as long as Jubilee!

vesty21
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:58 pm

When I visited it was a Saturday in late September last year and it wasn't open due to "High Winds" even though it was 22 degrees and very little wind, does anyone know whay it cost £28 Million to build, considering rides like the Swarm only cost £20 Million, all I can come up with it the rides location is not easily accessible suggesting a lot of the cost was shipping the coaster pieces to site.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 pm

^Sheer size, while Swarm is 2543 ft long, Odyssey is over 2900. Supports are also hugely used on Odyssey while Swarm is minimal. This is because a seaside location is more testing on a structure than inland. Also, thicker supports are needed on a taller, faster coaster. Simply sheer size.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Having ridden both of these many many times there is no contest that nemesis is a better coaster.  Odyssey is average at best, it may have some novelty factor in the uk due to its size as an inverter but when you compare it to the larger b&m inverters like montu or alpengeist it doesn't even come close in terms of ride comfort, intensity and reliability.

vesty21
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:35 pm

I also read that the cobra roll and horseshoe turns had to be lowered to prevent stalling at the cost of Fantasy Island, surely that's Vekoma's problem unless Fantasy island insisted on those elements being as big as they were.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm

It happens with many Vekoma coasters Cobras, add wind to it something had to be done. Simple miscalculations on Vekoma, however FI likely signed a contract clause forcing Vekomas problem with it to them, same with Kings Island's I305 reprofiling, happens all the time.

Toke up...

RyanY
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Interesting fact, Jubilee Odyssey runs on Methane gas to powers the lift hill, and thats actually the main reason for the £28 million price. :)

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Still, without that it is £24 mil, darn expensive for an SLC...

Toke up...

Hibscasual
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:20 pm

How can you say nemesis wins hands down when you haven't been on jubilee. (nightfall) have attended both' nemesis takes second Prize.
Let vintage cars rust in peace

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:41 pm

Hibscasual wrote:
How can you say nemesis wins hands down when you haven't been on jubilee. (nightfall) have attended both' nemesis takes second Prize.

Simple, as I said above Nemesis is world renown and Jubilee Odyssey isn't. I didn't just post that without doing my research, I've heard many reviews and as you'll notice most the people who posted above  confirmed with what I said. I'm not saying it doesn't have its fans but at least 9 out of 10 people seem to prefer Nemesis, hence it wins hands down. I don't have to have personally been on it to know that.
ImageImage

Hibscasual
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:00 pm

To pass such judgement on hearsay is immature and naive at best .I have been on both and nemesis lost. It's only my opinion and I have experienced both.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Did I pass judgement?

I made it very clear that I hadn't been on the ride. All I said was that Nemesis will win hands down.
ImageImage

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Not only hands down, but win like Chelsea FC vs Drunkie the Bear.

Toke up...

Hibscasual
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Drunkie the bear ins hands down end of