UK theme parks from another point of view!

coastermaster
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Monorail Accident

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:00 pm

yesterday the monorail crashed here are some fb messages Hi, I just wanted to leave a message for your staff! Me and my friends were a little injured yesterday on the monorail and every member of staff who came to help us was fantastic, they kept everyone calm and were very understanding and reassuring. The medical staff were outstanding too and clearly knew what they were doing! The driver of the monorail even came to see us in the Medical Centre at half 8 last night just to make sure we were okay! What a hero! Hope everyone else got away as relatively luckily as us. Thanks again :)

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Monorail Accident

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Trolling? What did it crash in to. There is a "driver" but the system is automated. Not sure what it could of crashed in to, to be honest.

coastermaster
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:22 pm

im not sure all i seen was on ts that it has crashed so i posted it here

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Morgano wrote:
Trolling? What did it crash in to. There is a "driver" but the system is automated. Not sure what it could of crashed in to, to be honest.

it wouldn't be the first time, it happened as recently as a few years ago if my memory serves me correctly. Monorail closure has also been reported in the downtime thread, looks like this is the reason.

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Reports suggest there was an accident / crash on the Monorail yesterday.

As well as a few messages this was posted on the AT Facebook wall:

Hi, I just wanted to leave a message for your staff! Me and my friends were a little injured yesterday on the monorail and every member of staff who came to help us was fantastic, they kept everyone calm and were very understanding and reassuring. The medical staff were outstanding too and clearly knew what they were doing! The driver of the monorail even came to see us in the Medical Centre at half 8 last night just to make sure we were okay! What a hero! Hope everyone else got away as relatively luckily as us. Thanks again :)

Anyone have any information or know what happened? Certainly explains why the Monorail is currently closed.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:36 pm

The train has suddenly stopped, be it from a crash, jam or emergency stop. People are reporting many things on Facebook and Twitter including concussion, whiplash, broken noses and injuries requiring stitches.

Many people were admitted to hospital.

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:15 pm

From TT home page:

The Alton Towers Resort Monorail is closed following an incident yesterday. A fault on one of the track switches caused the ride to nearly derail near the Monorail storage depot. The Monorail driver was able to emergency stop the ride preventing any major injuries and Alton Towers staff were quick to react and reassure passengers, assisting in getting them medical help where appropriate.

We at TowersTimes have an exclusive eye witness report from one of the guests at the resort that day:

"The track switched over to the second line that runs down to the tram storage area, the gap between the track and the switch point was nearing and derailing looked imminent. Luckily the driver managed to spot the potential disaster in time to slam on the emergency brakes. We came to a screaming halt, full speed to 0 in about half a second, sending us flying to the front of the carriage.

Phew, major disaster averted, the only consequences being a few cuts and bruises, a guy with a broken nose and a young girl who had bitten through her bottom lip. To our relief the staff were there within a minute, opened the doors and checked us all over. Medics came and got the worst of the injured people out and off to hospital. I, along with four friends was given gas and air in the monorail whilst we waited for paramedics to come and check us over before we could leave.

During the whole incident the staff really took care of us, we were fed, given water, blankets and even put us in the medical centre where we could have a well needed lie down and time to relax while we waited. Finally we arrived home at about 1am, very sore but thankful it wasn’t a lot worse than it could have been!

The staff were all fantastic; very caring and calming. They really kept order and acted so quickly, obviously they train for such events and it definitely paid off."

The Monorail remains closed and is likely to remain so for some time. We will update when we hear anymore.

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

Monorail Accident

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Jesus that could have been so much worse! Well done to all staff involved; couldn't have been what they wanted near the end if their shift.

Questions now need to be asked to why this happened. Also, there are so many arguments for getting rid of drivers and making similar systems completely automated. This is a perfect example not to!

Sent from my iPad
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

sku11dude123
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:45 pm

So if i was in the crash i would of technically stayed in the park i the medical centre all night?  :D Downside being i would have serious injuries.....

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 pm

sku11dude123 wrote:
So if i was in the crash i would of technically stayed in the park i the medical centre all night?  :D Downside being i would have serious injuries.....

I think they where taken to a local hospital.

sku11dude123
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Lets just pray that they are..... All insured  :)

BananaRoll
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:09 pm

To quote Homer Simpson:
"Mono...d'oh!"

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:19 pm

So do they get a free stay in the hotel, with a free annual pass, priority tickets, water park access and a round of golf for free?

I would be happy with that compensation package... dam I should have got the earlier monorail now!
If you go down to the woods today

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:25 pm

wow.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

HFantasma
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:24 am

bensaund wrote:
So do they get a free stay in the hotel, with a free annual pass, priority tickets, water park access and a round of golf for free?

I would be happy with that compensation package... dam I should have got the earlier monorail now!

I'm sure they will all receive something but frankly that wouldn't have been the first thing that crossed my mind.
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!

HFantasma
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 am

Must have been very upsetting for those involved and it sounds like it was dealt with in a brilliant way by the staff!
Wishing all those injured a speedy recovery!
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:57 am

It really doesn't sound that bad, compared to what could have happened or what happened at WDW Fl, and the staff were all helpful and very efficient. Things like this happen, and no inquiry into who was to blame will help.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:22 am

BLAME THE MACHINE!

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 pm

when i visited the park on tuesday, there was work going on around the switch system at the maintenance\ garage area.

b2311e

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:34 pm

By the fact that the switch is essentially the cause here, is there no interlocking or signalling to prevent a train entering a occupied or switching area?

Shouldn't have been possible, driverless or not