UK theme parks from another point of view!

Esenty
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Unfair Pricing for Disabled People

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 pm

I am due to come to the park in the next few days with a group of my friends, one of which is a disabled person who is wheelchair bound. When I contacted customer support recently to enquire how much it would cost to bring my friend into the park I was told he would have to pay full adult price with no concessions. I explained that he was not going to going on any of the rides but to my surprise and disappointment I was told that is was company policy to charge disabled people full price. I do think this very bad, and I think the company needs to re-think its policy. My friends and I are now considering whether to visit the park or not.

I would be interested to hear other people’s views on this?

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Unfair Pricing for Disabled People

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 pm

When i went with my disabled Auntie she did have to pay full price but she had direct entry into all of the rides without having to wait she also was allowed to take in 3 carers with her so it was pretty worth it.

Note: I am pretty sure there was no extra charges but you do need to go to a help desk to recieve this cardy type thing, also some information may be incorrect but this is from memory

Esenty
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 pm

No, they have stopped that now. They now try to provide a carer for you, (which we don’t need).
It’s very unfair to charge disabled people full price, I see it as unnecessary profiteering?

tworandom
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

I don't see why it would be unfair if i'm honest.

There are plenty of people that go with friends/family that have no intention of going on the rides but still have to pay full wack.

Likewise for people that just want to vist the gardens (a small amount of people but still it happens)

But yet towers does try hard to allow disabled people to go on the rides. So it should be on an equal pricing scheme.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:46 pm

Part of the disability discrimination act is that we don't discriminate against people with disabilities, but also we should not be discriminating against able bodied people either.

At the end of the day the park needs to make rides and other facilities accessible, but they should not give disabled people a discount on entry. I believe this is fair as if I brought my nan along who wouldn't go on any rides, why should she pay full price as she has no disability where as somebody who does have a disability pays less?

The better option here would be to use the wristband system like at Blackpool, so if you want to go on the rides, you pay more, if you don't want to go on any rides, then you don't pay full price.

I also disagree with allowing disabled people straight on to the rides without queuing, I agree they should be allowed to ride just like everyone else and we should give them full assistance to get on and off from any ride, but if there is a 20 min queue, then they should wait 20 mins.
If you go down to the woods today

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 pm

I would make the ticket like half price. Similarly would provide a ticket for people who just want to go to the gardens and towers themselves.

This is ruthless.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:55 pm

I agree there are people who do not want to do the rides, I'm sure the gardens would get a lot more use if there was a basic £5 paek entrance with no rides, but only Sky Ride access. Grand parents or people who who don't want to go or can't go on the rides pay a lot less then.
If you go down to the woods today

TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:06 pm

bensaund, although disabled people are allowed straight onto the rides they still have to queue.  This is because on the card they are given the host writes the time that I currently is plus however long the queue is they then cannot ride another ride until this time.  So although they are not in the queue they can't just go from one ride to another and have to wait the length of time on the card.
Every ride is accessible to disabled people and therefore they should pay the same price, if they couldn't ride some rides then fair enough make it cheaper but they can.  My gran loves coming to Alton towers to look at the house and gardens and can't go on the rides now due to health reasons but she still pays the full price!

HFantasma
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 pm

I don't agree there should be a lower rate fee for disabled, the rides are completely accessible and those who can't/don't want to go on the ride whether they're disabled or not pay the same price. What I do think should happen is that there should be a lower rate entrance fee for those that want to visit but dont/can't go on the rides.
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:17 am

Evn though this has happen google Alton Towers 2 for 1. Then print off vouchers. Then it will mean 1 full price = Disabled person free plus you can do with all in your group. Day it's a group of 8, 4 people pay, 4 people free :)

marita
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:24 am

Current price for Disabled is £45 and free carer at the gate or £27 and free carer online.....

However please take into consideration that the majority of disabled people would not visit the park on their own and they could not go onto any ride without someone one with them. Therefore Alton/Merlin make it more accessable by offering a free carer, and to make sure that themselves are covered incase of a ride breakdown and the disabled person would needs to be evacuated off the ride. Staff are not allowed to man handle...

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:36 am

The pricing is fair and should not see a change.

I know plenty of Disabled people who complain at being treated differently to other people.

Why should they get a discount for disability to save money when they want no different treatment to lifes other Hurdles?!?!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

sebshep18
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:59 pm

so what you are saying is, you want to go to alton towers, but not for the rides so what else for. You dont want to pay full price ? then use the 2-4-1 vouchers why should a disabled person not riding the rides pay less than my mother a full abled body person who dosnt ride the rides but comes along and looks after the bags ?

you want this about discrimination about disabilities but you openly discriminate against a able bodied person ??? somthing dosnt seem right. bottom line you want to enter the park pay the price or stop moaning

Kickass21
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 pm

I agree with Esenty, Disabled people should not have to pay full price, or they should issue some sort of band system like the other theme parks.  I also agree that it’s not a very fair policy and should be looked at!

standton
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:41 pm

sebshep have you taken your Synaptol?

Hurri
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Everyone pays the same, and somehow that's unfair?

Disability guidelines state that businesses should not be providing monetary discounts for disabled people, but doing their best to make all their facilities accessible. Alton are pretty good with accessibility for the most part.

If there's free entry available for a carer, that's more than generous enough.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:57 pm

Life is difficult for able bodied people aswell. Don't they say no one dies a virgin - life ****s us all?
But being physically or mentally disabled has to be especially difficult. I couldn't walk on my own feet once due to eczema and blisters and that was bad enough. You don't realise how much you move around until something gets you bed ridden. Imagine if someone had to assist you into town and everywhere...the toilet...

Now Altons saying they're going to provide their own carers. Are these qualified carers?
I feel like if it was me I would rather have someone I know looking after me.

Like I said we all have our cross to bear but I'm much more interested in extending the kind of consideration we give to disabled people to all people than extend the "tough-tits" attitude we seem to give each other (cause we were deprived) to disabled people.

peace !
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Esenty, where have you got this information from grading towers providing carers? The one big thing we are all told is we cannot man handle or assist disabled people and they must have there own carer.  Also towers employing people to be carers is ridiculous and completely unworkable as you never know how many disabled people are going to arrive so you wouldn't know how many people to employ.

Alex Tyler
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:23 pm

12344321 wrote:
Every ride is accessible to disabled people.

I'm sorry but they aren't, I know somebody in a wheelchair who can't get on Rita, 13, rapids, flume and sonic.

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:33 pm

MattsDesigns wrote:
Life is difficult for able bodied people aswell. Don't they say no one dies a virgin - life ****s us all?
But being physically or mentally disabled has to be especially difficult. I couldn't walk on my own feet once due to eczema and blisters and that was bad enough. You don't realise how much you move around until something gets you bed ridden. Imagine if someone had to assist you into town and everywhere...the toilet...

Now Altons saying they're going to provide their own carers. Are these qualified carers?
I feel like if it was me I would rather have someone I know looking after me.

Like I said we all have our cross to bear but I'm much more interested in extending the kind of consideration we give to disabled people to all people than extend the "tough-tits" attitude we seem to give each other (cause we were deprived) to disabled people.

peace !

Very much agree! While, there has to be equallity towards people are disabled and non-disabled, there is very little compasion towards the disabled community while at theme park like Alton Towers. The general pubic in particular. It may not seam fair that a disabled person gets a enterance fee consession and special access (In other words, miss the quese), but do you think it's fair that a person has a disability with all the difficulties and limatations that come with it? Having an inpairing condition is a world apart from having to wait 2 to 3 minutes more for a ride, or paying more money.

As a person with mental heath problems, I know how hard and challaging a theme park can be. The noice and extreamly large crowds can be quite difficult to deal with. But as a coaster/theme park enthusisat, I have to battle my condition in order to have a good day at the park. In gerenal, Alton Towers has been very good in providing that service to my myself, but members of the general public spoil my day. Most of it was just back chater about how I'm appreantly "abusing the system". My worst case was being at Thorpe Park and having chavs yell abuse at me while using the disabled exit for Rush.

My main point from all of that is that you don't have to just have a physical impairment to make a day out to a theme park difficult.

I haven't been to Alton Towers this year. so I can't comment on the prices for Disabled people now, but in the past I thought it was fair and the servise's they gave were exellent.  As far as offering carers are consered, I strongly dought the park would do that. The amout of training that is required and the cost to the park plus liability if things went wrong. At the end of the day, it's for health and safety that you must have a carer with you on a lot of the rides. (Pretty much all, I think) so that you are safe if the ride broke down, or for any other issues.

Anyway, I respect all your views, but do try and see it form the point of view of a disabled person.

They should be concessions within reason.