UK theme parks from another point of view!

sam_ph777
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Main thrill area at Alton Towers.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:48 am

Hey everyone.
I've always seen Forbidden Valley as the main thrill area of the park, with two unique coasters (especially Nemesis), the addition of N:ST this year and two supporting flats. When Thirteen was added, I thought maybe Dark Forest would be in competition with FV if they got a decent, modern flat ride. However, with SW7 opening next year I think that X-Sector could possibly take the title as the park's thrill area, as it will have two major coasters and two supporting flats also. SW7 will draw in crowds and if it's as good as we hope then XS could become hugely popular. The area may be cleaned up and we could have a new main thrill area of the park! Discuss!

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Main thrill area at Alton Towers.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I've always felt that x sector provides the biggest thrills, purely because f.v is a place where you see young people enjoying themselves as they laugh at random strangers on ripsaw, then have a ride on Air and Blade with their parents, whilst in contrast to this the only thing young people are able to do in x sector is gasp when stood next to the hole on oblivion, there is my opinion concerted down ;-)

cool_boy_jon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:54 pm

scott.smith wrote:
I've always felt that x sector provides the biggest thrills, purely because f.v is a place where you see young people enjoying themselves as they laugh at random strangers on ripsaw, then have a ride on Air and Blade with their parents, whilst in contrast to this the only thing young people are able to do in x sector is gasp when stood next to the hole on oblivion, there is my opinion concerted down ;-)

Agreed, the only really thrilling ride at F.V. Is Nemesis. You can throw Ripsaw in there if you want, but i wouldnt say its the thrill area of the park. I see quite a few young kids strolling around F.V, some of them even going on Ripsaw if they have an older brother/Sister to persuade them.

With SW7 opening next season, X-Sector will definitely be the Thrill Capital of the park. Im still wondering how the crowds would fit into X-Sector  :?

I rarely ever see Kids at X-Sector, purely because even staring at Oblivion can make you jump out of your skin! :P
The only thing I like better than roller coasters,Alton Towers, Towers times and Theme Parks is HARRY POTTER, yes, I am a Potterhead and proud of it! :)

N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm

I find that FV is the most enjoyable area of the park, but yes, X-sector is probably the most thrilling area of the park.

sam_ph777
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Now you've all put it like that, I agree. I was just thinking in terms of what Alton class as 'thrill' rides, and FV certainly has more in that aspect. However Air and The Blade aren't intense, Ripsaw is more so but still not. I personally, not liking horror mazes etc. find N:ST quite scary but many won't. Oblivion is the most daunting ride in the park, and arguably the most intense. With the addition of SW7 next year I agree that XS will become the main thrill area, if it already isn't that is! Hopefully we could get a new flat in there to replace Submission! :)

P.S Thank you for replying, it's my first topic and so appreciate people responding!

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:14 pm

The only thing thrilling about submission is the fear that when you come off you won't be able to have kids in the future ;(

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 pm

I don't understand this need to label theme areas as thrill areas, kid areas or family areas.

Why can't different areas offer something for everyone?  :?

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:27 am

The setting of FV is quite intimidating but I did find X-Sector quite, disturbing.
It's staring up at the drop of Oblivion from the floor (especially if it's over-cast and the sky is cloudy but still illuminated like Vegas) giving you vertigo.

But if you sit near the hole for awhile you get used to the screams. It's also entertaining hear people scream when you roll over onto the holding break. They've queued for who knows how long and each time the cars have stopped on the break. Why would *your* time it won't kick-in.
Because it might not?

That would be funny, if sometime Oblivion didn't activate the holding break.

sam_ph777
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:04 am

ImURNemesis wrote:
I don't understand this need to label theme areas as thrill areas, kid areas or family areas.

Why can't different areas offer something for everyone?  :?

As scott.smith said, FV is a place for everybody as it has Nemesis and (if they are scary for you!) Ripsaw and N:ST. However it also has the Blade and Air which can be enjoyed by young children, and with the arcade being in the area, it makes it quite universal. So in response, there are some areas that can offer everything, but some that offer just thrills - X-Sector. And some areas should be labelled, e.g. You wouldn't label Cloud Cuckoo Land or the Farmyard as having thrills, so they're more for kids/families and don't offer everything.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:27 am

I'd say X Sector was the main thrill area. There's isn't much in this area which caters for families as such.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:23 pm

As of 2013 I'm going to say X-Sector as it has oblivion which people always say looks scary, then you have Sw7 which will have the most inversions at AT.

Yes FV has nemesis and Sub Terror and Ripsaw as all 1.4m rides. But even though air is 1.4m is doesn't look scary, and the blade is more family friendly as well.

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Don't_Look_Down wrote:
I'd say X Sector was the main thrill area. There's isn't much in this area which caters for families as such.

Except for the Fried Chicken co. (which is niiccceee may i add)