UK theme parks from another point of view!

altontowers101
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Rita-brakes

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Are Rita's brakes, the ones that come up after a launch on the launch electro-magnets?
If so surely if there was a powercut and a rollback (possible but extremely unlikely) it would just plough through the staion and hit the train behind!
Maybe they have a backup, i dont know please help me. :?

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Rita-brakes

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:52 pm

I would think when a power cut happens the rides would have another power source. For example if submission had a power cut and it was at 90 degrees god knows what would happen.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:56 pm

They are polar magnets, using the braking force of opposing magnets. You know when you put N to N on a handheld magnet? Same principle involved.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:46 pm

I'd assume its fairly fail safe from power failure since its all hydraulic. Just a random stab at how it works: The breaks come down before launch. As the car whizzes by it hits some sort of catchment that releases the air and pushes the break fins back up, meaning it'd have to be a mechanical fault for them not to engage.

opulentrich
TT Member
TT Member

Rita-brakes

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:01 pm

The technical name for this is eddy current braking and its used by lots of modern coasters - although it's only the rocket coasters which move the metal plates as far as I know. I presume that the brake fins are moved by pneumatics and that they raise automatically if the power fails making the whole ride fail safe. There are also two sets of fins controlled individually - if you watch before launch they drop in 2 groups ... Just in case one set fails.

Rita 2005
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:10 pm

The sole purpose of the fins that drop just before launch is to be the anti-rollback brakes should the ride suffer a launch failure and not get over the high point of the track.

Its a fantasticly simple system that uses no power, just three sets of permanent magnets attached to the underside of the train to slow it down to a crawl when it enters the station.
Last edited by Rita 2005 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:59 am

Like Marcuss said I think any Ride that requires its breaks for a safety reason such as to stop one train colliding into the back of another - all of these will have a back up power or another safety mechanism.

Electromagnets will be wrapped with a big spool of copper coil but you can't always see this as in the case of those scrap metal picker upper thingies.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:32 am

If i remember correctly, Rita doesn't require power to raise the brake fins, only to lower them.

I maybe wrong but it's been a while. :)
......The one and only... :sus: