UK theme parks from another point of view!

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Ride Running Costs

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:01 am

I know guys on the forum have worked out things like; How much does each one of Rita's launch cost to operate? Approximately how much electricity does the park use? Etc etc.

However, I was wondering while at the Towers last weekend, which ride has the most expensive running costs? and the least?

My first thought about the most expensive was the rapids, due to the pumping systems needed; but in all honestly, I haven't got an idea about the mechanics and power needed for most rides.

So what do you guys think? :D

Tom.B

Re: Ride Running Costs

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 am

I imagine that rides with lots of effects (Duel, SUB-TERRA etc) cost a lot for each run round!

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:03 am

I think Duel must rank quite highly because all the cars have their own motor and also there is lighting. Quite often theatrical lighting is 200w, 400w, 600w, although very few probably run at full power. UV cannons are like 1 or 2 kw. If the hole place has 100 lights it racks up quite quickly. It also has lots of pneumatic pumps and motors/solenoids for effects.

I'm guessing the amount of power to charge Rita for launch is quite a lot too.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Chris-TT

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 am

Duel running costs won't be that high, as a lot of the lights in there are LED's. Unlike when it was 'The Haunted House'.
Having a simular discussion with Mark the other day on park, Rita is probably one of the more expensive rides to run with its launch system. Thirteen will also cost a fair amount to run, so I would take a guess that the Dark Forest is probably the most expensive area of the park with regards to energy usage.

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:54 am

I agree with your Rita suggestion, the power needed must be an extreme spike for the park. I hadn't even thought of Duel, probably because I assume the lights would be LED and low wattage.

The one thing that swayed myself towards saying the Rapids, was seeing the huge geysers of water in the station pool. Pumping that huge amount of water must take some power!

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:19 am

Oh I definitely agree. Those motors are powerful and run continuously but its almost the only thing to that ride.

As a side not the pump system for the rapids seems a bit unusual. In the Screams, Themes and Dreams documentary there is a system (I think) by the waterfalls and it looks like an old factory steam engine where you've got a row of low speed cams that seem to be pushing pistons.

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Had seen it many years ago, but just had a watch of Themes, Dreams and Scream Machines. Someone really needs to give John Wardley a camera to make another documentary like that! I would love to see his thought processes and work on his newer projects :)

I did manage to spot the cams for the Rapids during the video, would love to know where they are hidden now as I couldn't quite work out where it was :/ Any ride with water and the need to pump it must cost a lot to operate!

wakey1512
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:11 pm

In peak times I think the monorail must come quite close when all the trains are on the track. Each train has a multitude of electric motors all constantly drawing current from the grid. It's an older system too so I would imagine it would be fairly consuming.

Rita's launch is hydraulic so depending on how the hydraulic pumps are driven would depend on how much it takes from the grid. I would hazard that thirteens many friction tire motors consumes more than rita but in reality i havent got the foggiest.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:53 pm

good point about the monorail

Rita however - you know its gonna pull a tonne of power because you can see it being expelled in the launch. That is a tonne of kinetic energy and will always requires a tonne of another form of energy to create. 8)

No idea what kind of compressor she uses though - theres a few types.

Air lover
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Rita and monorail I think would cost a lot to run

SpecyBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Rita can produce a peak power of up to 12,800 hp for each launch, so it is very likely that is number 1.
2) Rapids: That is a lot of water that needs pumping around.
3) Duel (Lights,sound effects e.g.)
4) Air (Two stations, that are constantly doing work)
5) TH13TEEN/Sub Tera (Both use Special Effects and require a drop system)
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:47 pm

I believe from talking to the technicians that skyride is the third most power hungry ride on park.  The motors it uses are electric, that was he thinking behind closing it in the trial earlier in the season apparently.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:19 am

Duel still has lots of old style halogen lights in there, so god knows how much electricity that uses, I have also seen some shops still with old Haologen lights, so there are many areas of the park where they can cut their usage..

I read somewhere that an entire new substation needed to be installed for the rapids ride and looking at the thickness of those power cables, it must really suck the power.

I would guess Air, Nemesis and Oblivion would use roughly the same amount of power

Now if Stealth uses Approx 945 KVA (continuously) then I guess Rita won't be that far off, the strange thing is it continuously uses power so its not like a spike for every launch....
If you go down to the woods today

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:24 am

bensaund wrote:
Now if Stealth uses Approx 945 KVA (continuously) then I guess Rita won't be that far off, the strange thing is it continuously uses power so its not like a spike for every launch....

Come to think of it, that must be true. Doesn't the launch system build up the power required for launch with the use of a hydraulic drum and then just discharge it when launching? Meaning the power would be rather consistent, not a spike... :?

This might be absolutely wrong, but I was under the impression the Skyride was diesel driven - or at least used to be? However, if it is electric engines that power it, that must use a huge amount of electricity!

wakey1512
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:52 am

No you are correct, hydraulic pumps send fluid at low pressure to a pair of accumulators, which then build up the required pressure (about 300 bar) which is then sent to the winch drum during launch. The most consuming item would be the accumulators.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:05 am

Here it is. Yeah, the accumulators all release pressurized fluid into this hydraulic winch at the same time after a steady period of "charging". Its a hydraulic motor essentially and its the most powerful MoFo ever.

So the charging process while its not a spike, is time versus consumption so it would still kind of be the equivalent of a spike.

Sub Terra - I don't think uses too much energy because its all in one room...Plus the lifts. Most the lights there are LED aswell.

TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:35 am

The skyride uses electric motors to power the ride with two Diesel engines as back up so that in the event of a power cut the ride can be downloaded safely without the need for an evac. The Diesel engines are never used when guests are on the ride unless in an emergency that sees the electric motors taken out of use.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Ah thats clever. I think trains do the same.

wakey1512
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:34 pm

There must be some bloody power in the skyride electric motors. The whole ride is essentially linked and all the cars throughout the whole circuit are dependent on the same cable which loops around the whole circuit. So whatever drives the cable has to lug the entire fleet of cars around the circuit through all the bends!

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:23 pm

wakey1512 wrote:
There must be some bloody power in the skyride electric motors. The whole ride is essentially linked and all the cars throughout the whole circuit are dependent on the same cable which loops around the whole circuit. So whatever drives the cable has to lug the entire fleet of cars around the circuit through all the bends!

Technically that not right..... Are there not 2 cables?!?!

1 loops round MB - FV & the other loops round FV - CCL.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”