UK theme parks from another point of view!

which scaremaze had the longest queue times

zombies scarezone
No votes
the sanctuary
1 (8%)
terror of the towers
2 (17%)
the carnival of screams
8 (67%)
none( refer to below)
1 (8%)
 
Total votes: 12
 
User avatar
Double H
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 65
Joined: September 2012
Location: Essex

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56 am

Lucieloo wrote:
Ha check out my response..
Basically its a copy and paste job thats being sent out to everyone!

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your upcoming visit to the Resort. Given our reputation as the UK’s favourite Theme Park we are never complacent about our customer experience and we take the comments and concerns of our guests very seriously, as such feedback allows us to ensure that we are continuing to deliver a fantastic level of service to each and every one of our guests.

In light of our recent research into the way our guests utilise the products offered during our Scarefest event we have made some alterations to our opening times. This allows us to target our resources in the most beneficial ways to ensure that our 2013 Scarefest event is more outstanding than before.

Once again, thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. I do hope that you are reassured of our intentions to provide the best experience that we possibly can and that we may look forward to welcoming you to the Alton Towers Resort soon.


Yup same damn message I got to a T
 
User avatar
Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: October 2011

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:02 pm

My response was this..


"Thank you for you response. I am still very sad to hear this seeing as we are so looking forward to coming back in October. We got engaged on the Smiler on the 2nd July 2013, and I did send in an e-mail to let you know as apparently this was a worlds first on a worlds first! So we were excited to be back, with the ring and soak up the atmosphere of scarefest.
I certainly haven't noticed a dip in people but as you know that week is the one before half term so its surely expected it would be quieter, yet people who want to avoid all the children on their half term will be attending that first week.

I do hope that this is still something that could be reconsidered as you will also be losing to out people like us who then eat dinner on the park. Now we will have to go elsewhere outside to have our evening meals"


Its true though, a lot of people will want to avoid the queues and amount of people before half term so why cut it for the people that will be there till late spending money on drink, dinners, games, scare mazes??
Crazy!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
 
ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 412
Joined: March 2012
Location: Norfolk

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Double H wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your upcoming visit to the Resort. Given our reputation as the UK’s favourite Theme Park we are never complacent about our customer experience and we take the comments and concerns of our guests very seriously, as such feedback allows us to ensure that we are continuing to deliver a fantastic level of service to each and every one of our guests.

In light of our recent research into the way our guests utilise the products offered during our Scarefest event we have made some alterations to our opening times. This allows us to target our resources in the most beneficial ways to ensure that our 2013 Scarefest event is more outstanding than before.

Once again, thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. I do hope that you are reassured of our intentions to provide the best experience that we possibly can and that we may look forward to welcoming you to the Alton Towers Resort soon.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Samuel Hall
Alton Towers Resort
------------------------------------------------


This is exactly the email reply I got from Alton word for word.  I have replied to them again. Not happy  :evil:  As far as I'm concerned, if you have book this event, tickets and hotel with Alton, you should either have the right to a full refund or to change your booking dates with out charge as they have change what they have been promoting, unlike myself who has booked accommodation out side the resort and don't have a leg to stand on as my accommodation is still available and won't be Alton's responsibility.
 
User avatar
Lotty
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 139
Joined: April 2004
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Has anyone who has booked with the hotel before the changes called customer services yet to find out how we will be compensated for all these changes? I would but i crumble easy and would be a blubbering mess and just go "ok sorry for calling" but maybe someone with balls of steel needs to call and find out. because i've sent them 3 emails and got the same reply back every time!!! It doesn't answer any questions, it doesn't try to cool the situation it's like an automated response email.

This is appalling its like they don't care. 

EDIT * (4th email sent now asking how guests will be compensated for this change as we get less than people going half term week........ Bet i get the same email back)
Last edited by Lotty on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)
 
User avatar
Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: October 2011

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Well theres nothing we can do as our B&B is totally booked up till the end of October so we can't change the dates.
Its just a wait and hope moment really.
We have two little ones but one is too young/small to go on many of the main rides. Plus the fact he will be so bored queuing and will get exhausted walking everywhere so we have taken the choice to take them when they are BOTH old enough and this way we can enjoy ourselves and relax for the few days we are there. I feel its sad that people who dont have or chose not to take their children until the half term are the reason that first week will be quiet? what about all the other times of the year when the children are at school??
If its purely on the fact that it will be busier the week after due to half term then I feel a bit discriminated against really.. like my money is not good enough or what I want as an adult is irrelevant!
Sorry to rant just really upset about this. Taken time off work as well paid the deposit on our B&B and a week later they change the times.
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
 
User avatar
altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 685
Joined: January 2005
Location: Too far from Nemmie!

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:45 am

...all this news comes as Thorpe announce they are extending August opening hours and increasing the dates of Summer Nights.

This is all a matter of listening to your customers. Thorpe have listened and taken action in favour of public demand. I would never call myself a Thorpe fan-boy, but Alton are really letting the side down here. The decisions that have been made with this year's Scarefest in no way reflect the public's interest - listen up Alton!
 
Adam
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 4018
Joined: April 2004
Location: UK

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 am

Noticed yesterday that the monorail audio still states rides close at 9.00 throughout scarefest. Maybe worth mentioning when trying to get refunds.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
 
User avatar
Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: October 2011

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:30 am

See what I mean.. no consistency here! Making a massive great change causing an uproar and they can't even make sure that their advertising across the board is all saying the same thing!
Sounds to me like it was a quick decision at the last minute!
Just hope that feedback online thing makes a difference seeing as they arent actually responding to any of us its just an automated copy and paste message!

Still can't get over it! Ive got the rage!!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
 
Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 1505
Joined: March 2013

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Lucieloo wrote:
See what I mean.. no consistency here! Making a massive great change causing an uproar and they can't even make sure that their advertising across the board is all saying the same thing!
Sounds to me like it was a quick decision at the last minute!
Just hope that feedback online thing makes a difference seeing as they arent actually responding to any of us its just an automated copy and paste message!

Still can't get over it! Ive got the rage!!


This is pure logical speculation, but I'd image this decision has come from the budgets created by Merlin, and not something Towers want. Sadly, in the leisure industry, decisions like this are often made way above the management who have to answer for them.

As fan of the park, I'd never hope for low gate figures. But if they noticed a significant fall in gate figures, they could argue that this is the reason why. It could always work the other way, and Merlin remove a week of scarefest.
 
User avatar
Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: October 2011

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Lee James wrote:
Lucieloo wrote:
See what I mean.. no consistency here! Making a massive great change causing an uproar and they can't even make sure that their advertising across the board is all saying the same thing!
Sounds to me like it was a quick decision at the last minute!
Just hope that feedback online thing makes a difference seeing as they arent actually responding to any of us its just an automated copy and paste message!

Still can't get over it! Ive got the rage!!


This is pure logical speculation, but I'd image this decision has come from the budgets created by Merlin, and not something Towers want. Sadly, in the leisure industry, decisions like this are often made way above the management who have to answer for them.

As fan of the park, I'd never hope for low gate figures. But if they noticed a significant fall in gate figures, they could argue that this is the reason why. It could always work the other way, and Merlin remove a week of scarefest.



Yes I'm sure it is Merlin who are at the root of it, and yet they seems to be putting a lot into Thorpe of late! Alton will see a reduction in low gate figures if the little things arent taken care of.. they must make tonnes and tonnes of money during scarefest though.. they will still lose money by us all not being there till late/if at all..
Last edited by Lucieloo on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
 
Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 1505
Joined: March 2013

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Lucieloo wrote:
Lee James wrote:
Lucieloo wrote:
See what I mean.. no consistency here! Making a massive great change causing an uproar and they can't even make sure that their advertising across the board is all saying the same thing!
Sounds to me like it was a quick decision at the last minute!
Just hope that feedback online thing makes a difference seeing as they arent actually responding to any of us its just an automated copy and paste message!

Still can't get over it! Ive got the rage!!


This is pure logical speculation, but I'd image this decision has come from the budgets created by Merlin, and not something Towers want. Sadly, in the leisure industry, decisions like this are often made way above the management who have to answer for them.

As fan of the park, I'd never hope for low gate figures. But if they noticed a significant fall in gate figures, they could argue that this is the reason why. It could always work the other way, and Merlin remove a week of scarefest.



Yes I'm sure it is Merlin who are at the route of it, and yet they seems to be putting a lot into Thorpe of late! Alton will see a reduction in low gate figures if the little things arent taken care of.. they must make tonnes and tonnes of money during scarefest though.. they will still lose money by us all not being there till not if at all..


I don't think they'll lose too much revenue as the park is known to be dead after 7pm so I can see the logic behind the decision. I do fear that the mazes will suffer this year, as even during quieter periods they often sold out. Will they running shorter mazes to higher throughput?
 
User avatar
Double H
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 65
Joined: September 2012
Location: Essex

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Lee James wrote:
Lucieloo wrote:
Lee James wrote:
Lucieloo wrote:
See what I mean.. no consistency here! Making a massive great change causing an uproar and they can't even make sure that their advertising across the board is all saying the same thing!
Sounds to me like it was a quick decision at the last minute!
Just hope that feedback online thing makes a difference seeing as they arent actually responding to any of us its just an automated copy and paste message!

Still can't get over it! Ive got the rage!!


This is pure logical speculation, but I'd image this decision has come from the budgets created by Merlin, and not something Towers want. Sadly, in the leisure industry, decisions like this are often made way above the management who have to answer for them.

As fan of the park, I'd never hope for low gate figures. But if they noticed a significant fall in gate figures, they could argue that this is the reason why. It could always work the other way, and Merlin remove a week of scarefest.



Yes I'm sure it is Merlin who are at the route of it, and yet they seems to be putting a lot into Thorpe of late! Alton will see a reduction in low gate figures if the little things arent taken care of.. they must make tonnes and tonnes of money during scarefest though.. they will still lose money by us all not being there till not if at all..


I don't think they'll lose too much revenue as the park is known to be dead after 7pm so I can see the logic behind the decision. I do fear that the mazes will suffer this year, as even during quieter periods they often sold out. Will they running shorter mazes to higher throughput?


Merlin, the bright sparks, build the 'crash pad' hotel at Thorpe Park and then lengthen the closing times throughout the summer - I can see a knock on effect this will have on their fright nights - later closing eventually. which then has a potential knock on for thrill seekers that will then turn their attention towards Thorpe at that time of year.

ATM the fright nights run for halloween week, bet you next year they make it 2 weeks and introduce a new maze etc. I am starting to think that Merlin a shifting the revenue for the halloween events towards Thorpe- maybe they beleive it needs a push or maybe the their bias research indicates that we need a change of scenery at that time of year???

What ever the case, they are making a mistake. Fine if your going to do that then at least leave it be for this year, let people enjoy the event and experience it how it supposed to be experience -late night riding etc! Then, if you still think that changing the times will help us (?), then change the times for next years event after this year. That way no-one has booked up etc but PLEASE remember to change your prices for each week!!!!

Personally, I have seen the parks get quieter between 5-7pm, mostly coz between 5 and 7 people go into the restaurants or go out into the hotel and then come back in for late night riding. Most of these people leave to get changed into more warm clothing rather than carry it around with them all day (more specifically those staying at the hotels). However, even on the quiet week there are still long queues on the mazes (more at night I might add between the hours of 7-9pm when it is actually dark) as well as moderate queues on the rides (10 -20 min waits).

So to rant on,  but this has really annoyed me! WTF Alton? someone needs to give'em a bump in the right direction #altontowers !!!!
 
User avatar
jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 331
Joined: October 2011
Location: Silverstone

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Almost begs the question why they don't close the Mazes on these days until about 6PM then run through until about 9PM on the quiet days, keeping the place as busy as possible for as long as possible! Keep the anticipation going all day!

I must say it is easy to blame Merlin, however I business needs to try new things to see what happens to the Numbers, as much as I don't agree with what has happened, but still, I don't think Merlin should be seen as the bad guys...I think those lovely bankers from a few years ago should still be shamed more so!
Last edited by jackgcse on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 1505
Joined: March 2013

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:19 am

jackgcse wrote:
Almost begs the question why they don't close the Mazes on these days until about 6PM then run through until about 9PM on the quiet days, keeping the place as busy as possible for as long as possible! Keep the anticipation going all day!

I must say it is easy to blame Merlin, however I business needs to try new things to see what happens to the Numbers, as much as I don't agree with what has happened, but still, I don't think Merlin should be seen as the bad guys...I think those lovely bankers from a few years ago should still be shamed more so!


Because a lot of people leave the park before 7pm, leading to the park being notoriously dead. Leaving the mazes closed until 6 will just create resentment, and queues that won't be manageable.
 
User avatar
thomasjenks
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 5
Joined: July 2013

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Lucieloo wrote:
See what I mean.. no consistency here! Making a massive great change causing an uproar and they can't even make sure that their advertising across the board is all saying the same thing!
Sounds to me like it was a quick decision at the last minute!
Just hope that feedback online thing makes a difference seeing as they arent actually responding to any of us its just an automated copy and paste message!

Still can't get over it! Ive got the rage!!


If you read the page for Scare Fest on the website it does not state till nine it just mentions until late, this shows at the time they had not made nine definite for this years Scare Fest.
Last edited by thomasjenks on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
TT ScareMazing 2013 :)
 
swalesuk01
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 29
Joined: January 2013

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:05 am

Still, to me if you say open till late, 7 is not late. When you allow closing time to be between 5 and 6 pm and no ERT I would expect late to be at least 8 pm.
Last edited by swalesuk01 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: October 2011

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 am

thomasjenks wrote:
Lucieloo wrote:
See what I mean.. no consistency here! Making a massive great change causing an uproar and they can't even make sure that their advertising across the board is all saying the same thing!
Sounds to me like it was a quick decision at the last minute!
Just hope that feedback online thing makes a difference seeing as they arent actually responding to any of us its just an automated copy and paste message!

Still can't get over it! Ive got the rage!!


If you read the page for Scare Fest on the website it does not state till nine it just mentions until late, this shows at the time they had not made nine definite for this years Scare Fest.


This was in refence to a comment from someone else that said the monorail music/adverts still state closing at 9:00pm not the website.!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
 
TylerBreeze
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 12
Joined: August 2013

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 am

I'm not happy at all with the change to 9pm.

Being from Scotland, it's obviously about a 4 1/2 hour drive to the Towers, meaning that we need to properly plan our yearly pilgrimage to the park.

Scarefest's normal times fall in a period when there is two birthdays in our group (mine and my friend). so we make the choice to go during our birthday weeks, which is in the first week of Scarefest. Mainly because we'd get extra time in the park at a time when the English schools are still in, meaning, because we only get to go once a year, we get the maximum experience.

Changing it to 7pm makes it no better than going at any other time, thus the added incentive is gone. Sure it'll still be quite quiet, but part of the fun of scarefest is the dark, dressing up and experiencing the park in the dark.

They've totally lost the focus and dropped the ball big style.
 
User avatar
magicman85
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 85
Joined: July 2012
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:31 pm

thomasjenks wrote:
Lucieloo wrote:
See what I mean.. no consistency here! Making a massive great change causing an uproar and they can't even make sure that their advertising across the board is all saying the same thing!
Sounds to me like it was a quick decision at the last minute!
Just hope that feedback online thing makes a difference seeing as they arent actually responding to any of us its just an automated copy and paste message!

Still can't get over it! Ive got the rage!!


If you read the page for Scare Fest on the website it does not state till nine it just mentions until late, this shows at the time they had not made nine definite for this years Scare Fest.


But it did state 9 until last week....
 
User avatar
stu1980
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 149
Joined: June 2012
Location: Blackpool

Re: 2013 Scarefest

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi folks 7pm is fully confirmed for the first week of scarefest - wish i knew what they was up to.

As for opening later the park licence states 9pm latest they can open but there is no limit on how often they can open till this late. but they need to get permission to open later than 9pm like for alton towers live etc.

So to answer the question 9pm is the most the park can open to.

Why they dont use it makes me laugh more so in the 6 weeks hols and weekends.

Scarefest at 7pm is a joke when Thorpe Park has put there times later than ever before.

Merlin are taking the mic here thats all im saying not happy not happy at all
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 153 guests