UK theme parks from another point of view!

obliviben
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

What makes Alton Towers your favourite theme park?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Alton Towers is personally my favourite theme park in the UK and I am sure it is for many of you on here too! So it got me thinking what is it that makes Alton Towers so special to you personally? We are all on here to share our love and passion for this wonderful theme park and I would love to know what you guys love so much about it?  :D

For me it is the following:

- The beautiful setting! (No other theme park has come close to having such a pretty and unique setting IMO)

- The world class coasters! Nemesis & Oblivion are unforgettable ride experiences that keep me coming back time after time! I feel so lucky & blessed to have such world class coasters here in the UK!

- The magic! It's hard to explain but the park really does have a magical feel to it! From the themeing to the parks image! Many of the UK's top theme parks and attraction do lack that magical feeling that Alton Towers provides IMO!

I could go on forever but now its your turn!  :D

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Re: What makes Alton Towers your favourite theme park?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:00 pm

almost like you I like it  because it doesn't just have rides. you've got:
rides
historic landscape
historic buildings
themeing
not just rollercoasters, but somewhat 3 dimensional rides with dark bits
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Really lovely thing to look at.

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:47 pm

My favourite theme park is Mirabilandia. Just saying. ;)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:54 pm

If it wasnt for the good value MAP I doubt I go to any Merlin park. Alton Towers is no way as good as it was in the 90s. Since my pass ran out in May I haven't been back. Just feel like the magic ain't there anymore and all they care about is £££.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:57 pm

The fact that you can admire the most beautiful gardens in Staffordshire and five minutes later ride one of the best inverts in the world. Alton Towers is just in a league of its own.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

GrapeWizard
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:37 pm

1) Because it's 15 minutes away in a car from where I live.
2) The gorgeous setting in the staffordshire countryside,  how many parks have the history and heritage that Alton Towers does.
3) The world class coasters such as Nemesis and Oblivion (hopefully SW7 will be added to this since in my opinion, Air was the last good coaster they installed, and Oblivion the last that actually had thought put into it).

In terms of the post above^ I wouldnt class Nemesis as the best Invert in the world, as there is Katun, Montu, Black Mamba, Oz'iris etc, although it is a strong contender.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:42 pm

GrapeWizard wrote:

In terms of the post above^ I wouldnt class Nemesis as the best Invert in the world, as there is Katun, Montu, Black Mamba, Oz'iris etc, although it is a strong contender.

Lucky he said 'one of the best inverts' then I spose. Such a strong list though, just to be mentioned with those four inverters is an honour all of its own.  :)
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

GrapeWizard
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:43 pm

TB2 wrote:
GrapeWizard wrote:

Lucky he said 'one of the best inverts' then I spose. Such a strong list though, just to be mentioned with those four inverters is an honour all of its own.  :)

Oops.. Stupid me misreading it :oops:

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:59 pm

The history and heritage of the Towers and just the general staffordshire countryside....you cant beat it
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:16 pm

One thing in particular made me love Alton Towers...

Tussauds!

But yeah, the house, gardens and local area are amazing and I'd still love the place if all the rides and attractions were gone.

TheInactiveMoth
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Because it's nearest, and I've only been to two, this and Blackpool Pleasure Beach - and Alton Towers is better... :D
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Noah the carnivorous botanist - Arsenal 'til I die!

DavidRock
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:19 pm

For me its just the chnace to get away from the crowds and wonder the gardens. Some times i go and hammer the rides all day long and other times ive just chilled in the gardens and only gone on one ride all day (Nemesis) thanks to my MAP

i can never go to alton towers and not go on Nemesis.

Still the Towers are well worth a look

DoubleOh7
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:14 am

agree with others the whole setting, the towers, the gardens, the wooded areas etc are all the things that makes towers extra special - I sincerely hope that merlin will continue using the natural resources and 'lay of the land' as it were for theming etc and providing guests with a completely immersive experience.

Ive only been to Thorpe park once and that was a few years ago and yes whilst it must be said some of the rides are better etc the whole place just felt like it had been plonked on a car park somewhere. I think this comparison between the two illustrates to me why Towers is no.1 for me every single time.

rossdeadmanz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:27 pm

It's the closest theme park to me geographically
The theming of the rides
(I might well be alone on this one but...) It's ALWAYS sunny when I visit!

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 pm

One word for me...

Escapism. The park has a great atmosphere in my opinion. Although it has dwindled in the most recent years, the Towers has always given me a feel of escapism, which is longed for when you go for a trip away from your normal surroundings. I wouldn't want to come across as Merlin-basing, because I think they have done wonders with the list of attractions; but Tussauds were a company built around creativity, Merlin are a corporate giant, who have majority shareholders who hold little interest in creativity or 'magic'. These factors are what fuel the escapist nature of the park.

However, the long-term development plan we have seen shows that Merlin could be capable of reintroducing the creativity the park needs. Investing into family attractions, an entertainment complex and further additions to accommodation will help the overall atmosphere of the park come together. Of course, there will always be enthusiasts (like us) who complain a certain effect is down or a ride is in urgent need of a repaint :P but at the end of the day, they just need a little creativity, it goes a long way to making Alton Towers my favourite theme park.

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:13 am

For me its the setting of the area with the towers in the middle and the spread out open areas. So you can actually breath. The rides have to be desgined to stay under the tree tops but still be entertaining.
Like oblivion who builds a more than  100ft underground drop.
Image credit to Lewis97

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:40 pm

It's individual, it has it's own theme. The whole surrounding area and landscape is the parks theme.

I have never been a fan of Thorpe Park's cavalier approach to marketing. Ok it works, they attract the scum of the earth from hideous and stupid marketing campaigns.

In a nutshell, I'm in Alton Towers market audience, I'm a nerd/coaster enthusiast who enjoys the whole experience of a theme park, not just the ride. AT provides this, no other park in the UK comes close.

If I had children I'm sure I'd enjoy Chessie a hell of a lot more.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low