UK theme parks from another point of view!

Captain Chimp
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Food/Drink At The Towers

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 am

More often than not, we do Explorers, especially as the nipper loves her pizza and pasta.  However, we were gutted when they changed the Pie and Mash place in Dark Forest to just pasties.  The quality of the food was excellent and it was pretty good value for money. 

Michelle
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:02 pm

I've always wanted to try Woodcutters because I've heard nothing but good reviews, but I think you can't beat Pizza and Pasta for value as long as you have AP discount , maybe this year I'll branch out..  :?

DanteNero666
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:50 pm

Woodcutters is delicious, tried it with my good food voucher last season. The BBQ (I think) chicken burger I had was amazing, fries were excellent... Would defiantly recommend.
Give me a coaster handshake!

TheNigeC
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Woodcutters Bar & Grill
and Courtyard BBQ and Bar.

Not eaten from any other places yet..

hopefully be going to AT more than once this year so will try a few more places =)
I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK

lucy2244
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:03 pm

is it weird i don't usually eat when i go to Alton towers? :P
i like to spend my time riding rather than eating, so i'll usually just get some sweets or something from the Rita queue (it always seems long when i go). drink wise, the refillable things are great! i get one every time i go, they're great value (especially if you share one with a friend) and the diet coke is so yummy!

i should probably try one of the restaurants, i wouldn't mind giving it a go one day. my friend had some chips once from the cafe thing near ripsaw. she said they were nice :P

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:54 am

Renewed the MAP for the family today, so another 15 months of Merlin fun!

I had a good chat with one member of staff today and we agreed the food was good at the parks, apart from the fried chicken.

I also like the idea that you can only refill an annual pass capsule if your MAP has the little drinks logo punched out. I can't see this reducing the abuse of these as if two people share then only one person goes up to refill, but I guess its a start.

I'm interested to see how well the Burger kitchen goes down, hopefully the price and quality will be good + MAP discount :-)
If you go down to the woods today

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:06 pm

D4n wrote:

No. High Street chains such as McDonalds and Burger King have no place in a theme park resort. Alton Towers should be about escapism, and one of the best things that Merlin have done since their takeover from Tussauds is to remove these franchise and replace them with in-house outlets.

At least the branded outlets were highly themed when introduced in the late 90's. The quality and choice of food is better now, but the eateries look like any average place off the high street.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm

The best:
The baked potato hut in Dark Forest.
Fresh Fish and Chips
Refresh at Ripsaw

The worst:
Explorers Pizza and Pasta - Slimy pasta in a fatty sauce. Not exactly appetising.

Woodcutters looks really nice. I shall give it a go this year.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

sampy55
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Did anyone try the all day food thing they did last year? It all seemed a bit too complicated to me  :? Was it value for money?

I notice that they're doing food vouchers this year, although they've not released the prices yet. Not sure whether they will be worth it for MAP holders.

Be interesting to see if they sell many?
Nemesis makes me Smile

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:05 pm

The ADD got a mixed reception... Some that tried it thought it terrific value, where as some just bought it was pointless.
To "get your money's worth" you need to eat a lot and make sure you utilise the option for the big meals in woodcutters or explorers.
I know people that got it simply for the ease of having paid there money and not needing to worry anymore.... Some didn't even eat £10 worth.

The vouchers are a cool idea that were used last season, but I only heard one review on those which was there were too many vouchers to get used whilst walking around.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:27 am

Don't_Look_Down wrote:
The best:
The baked potato hut in Dark Forest.
Fresh Fish and Chips
Refresh at Ripsaw

The worst:
Explorers Pizza and Pasta - Slimy pasta in a fatty sauce. Not exactly appetising.

Woodcutters looks really nice. I shall give it a go this year.

I have to completely disagree here, for me its Pizza Pasta everytime.
The baked potatoes was just bland when I had it earlier in the year, not being able to sit down to eat my food was a disapointment.
Fresh Fish n Chips, I have never braved it as I had it at Thorpe and it was the most vile thing I have ever eaten, took my chips my back and the replacement was just as bad so never tried the one at Alton as I didn't want the same experience.

Must give Woodcutters a go this year :-)

Refresh at Ripsaw has to have the most slowest service in the park, just trying to get your drinks re-filled takes for ever, but the Fish n Chips is much quicker for your refill.
If you go down to the woods today

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:31 pm

I didnt rate the fish and chips, woodcutters bread tends to be stale, i think pizza and pasta place, is more hit than miss.

sampy55
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 am

Our kids will only eat the chips from Fresh Fish and Chips. Not that I mind having an excuse to go over to Nemesis  ;)
Nemesis makes me Smile

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Looking back I really have tried a limited amount of food on offer at the resort. Hotdogs are probably at No.1 and I've never tried Woodcutters, fish & chips or Courtyard.... Food doesn't rank highly in my priorities when out for the day to be honest, Scarefest and fireworks are the only times we make an effort to stop for something.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

DanteNero666
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:46 pm

sampy55 wrote:
Did anyone try the all day food thing they did last year? It all seemed a bit too complicated to me  :? Was it value for money?

I notice that they're doing food vouchers this year, although they've not released the prices yet. Not sure whether they will be worth it for MAP holders.

They had food vouchers last year... I'm not sure if they were successful or not, but I used them and found that for a Non MAP holder they were excellent.
Give me a coaster handshake!

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Woodcutters is a very nice place to eat, but I find the whole place very un-engaging. We sat in there for an hour or so to escape to cold during scarefest, but there wasn't much immersion, it was easy to forget you were actually sat in Alton Towers, it felt more like the local high street restaurant.

Maybe its because its probably more of a quick in-and-out meal type of place, but we spent a while in their since some of our friends wanted to go back to the car to change clothes.

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:42 am

sampy55 wrote:

We did but we stayed in the hotel and used thin in place of eating at the hotel so had 2 meals also it was nice not to have to carry a drinks bottle round
Just remember places close early if they are further from the entrance
Not sure how it will compares With the AP discount tho depends how much you eat

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Is there any news as yet if the all day wristbands are back for 2013 as all trace has gone from the website. Anyone now anymore.?
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

Fantasmic
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:07 pm

We always seem to eat at the Mexican joint, or the Courtyard!

If burger kitchen is the same as the place that's in the Blackpool tower then.... YAY! Their burgers are pretty good!

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Fantasmic wrote:
We always seem to eat at the Mexican joint, or the Courtyard!

If burger kitchen is the same as the place that's in the Blackpool tower then.... YAY! Their burgers are pretty good!

It is confirmed it is
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!