UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

The historic Towers

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 pm

I was just looking at pictures of the SW7 site and Towers and my partner overlooked and commented that it was a terrible shame that such a beautiful building was being wasted amongst the grounds of a theme park. Even with my bias towards the theme parks and rides, I kind of agree with him. It seems like such a loss to loose such a spectacular building to ruin especially with  such a rich history.

I agreed that the Towers should be restored and explained that the cost would be too much for Merlin to warrant doing and then it occured to me that if all the rides and infrastructure of Alton Toweres was sold off there would be a big chunk of money that would go a long way to restoring the towers to a point of being able to bring in an income.

So my question is, would you rather Alton Towers lost all its rides and infrastructure to save the Towers and restore the buildings? or keep the rides and loose the Towers? tricky question I think.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The historic Towers

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 pm

I would suggest that before making your mind up on this, both yourself and anyone else reading, that next time your at the Towers, pick up a copy of the story of Alton Towers DVD.
Whilst this may have been made to promote the theme park, it does detail the history of the Towers pretty well. It also goes on to prove how relevant the theme parks existence, is actually in keeping with the history of the Towers.
So in my opinion, no, the Theme park should not be sold off to restore the towers, as much as I would love to see them refurbished, the history of the Towers and its gardens, IMO is actually enhanced by the existence of the theme park.

AJLlama
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Having read the slightly over detailed "story of the towers" book, i tend to agree with Boz, the house was only "finished" for a very short amount of time, the gardnes and tourism are the only reason the ruins survive at all, Merlin do some restoration every year (As detailed in the MDP) and this may not happen if merlin were not there. it could never be restiored fully, too much is lost, and exploring the ruins is always a vital part of any trip to AT, for me at least. It could do with information boards in the rooms and the floors need some attention, but i think you can enjoy the architecture as much now as ever. if you took away the rides, tourism would drop off and the towers would face the fate it was facing back in the 40's/50's; crumbling into history.

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 pm

I got that book too, but i'm only half way through it. But what I've read so far seems to correlate with that as well.
I remember reading something about the Earl not being allowed to fight in the Napoleonic wars, and the Towers/Gardens were (in his opinion) his contribution to the greatness of Britain.
I might have misread that though.

AJLlama
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 pm

that may have been in there, although i suspect the earl was trying to protect his lineage as there was only himself and his cousin left at that point. At the beginning, alton lodge was just that a "hunting lodge for rich weirdo's" that every owner subsequently wanted to improve, unfortunately we ran out of earls and then there were the world wars, when alton was a training ground for troops (official statement is that they did not ruin the towers, however it was pretty ruined by the time it was given back to the general public) after that the gardens and train were opened up to the public and the rest is theme park evolution history...
Last edited by AJLlama on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Boz wrote:
I would suggest that before making your mind up on this, both yourself and anyone else reading, that next time your at the Towers, pick up a copy of the story of Alton Towers DVD.
Whilst this may have been made to promote the theme park, it does detail the history of the Towers pretty well. It also goes on to prove how relevant the theme parks existence, is actually in keeping with the history of the Towers.
So in my opinion, no, the Theme park should not be sold off to restore the towers, as much as I would love to see them refurbished, the history of the Towers and its gardens, IMO is actually enhanced by the existence of the theme park.

I agree with Boz, I wouldnt like to see the Towers pulled about as i love seeing the Towers how they are. As stated the Towers and gardens are enhanced by the Theme Park being there
SEEK...AND...DESTROY