UK theme parks from another point of view!

ADM182
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers Hotel & Splash Landings

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:38 pm

I visit AT every year and we stay over, we've stayed in both hotels but Splash is getting tired and the food qulaity in the Alton Towers hotel and dropped like a stone over the last few years.

Any know of any planned re-furb work to Splash or if anyone else has experiance the same drop in food standard at the AT hotel?

tworandom
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Hotel & Splash Landings

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:36 pm

I really wish Splash would get a refurb I stayed there last year and the room was disgusting.

I now stay in the travel lodge because there rooms much tidier! which is a shame because the atmosphere in splash was amazing :(

TheNigeC
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:39 pm

I stayed in Splash for the ATSF...

4 of us sharing the room and i got the bottom of the bunk beds..... :sleep:

I Broke it  :help: :censored: :love: :ashamed: :clap:

the bottom bunk definately isnt designed for adults...
I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK

little_paul
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 pm

I dont know if it is getting one , but was staying in alton hotel last week and the water park and whole of splash was shut to guests , so never know  :D

kierannewcombe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:02 pm

little_paul wrote:
I dont know if it is getting one , but was staying in alton hotel last week and the water park and whole of splash was shut to guests , so never know  :D

I read somewhere that they were doing something with the water park?

Credit to Lewis97

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm

I agree to some extent that the ATH and the SLH needs a refurb, but I don't want the magical feel of them both to fade which has been a worry for myself if they deside to refurb.

The idea that the ATH is a bit dated adds the magic to it.

little_paul
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Yer could just be the water park, just seemed strange that shut whole of hotel rather than just water park, but that probably health and safety now

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:35 pm

I have to disagree with this topic. I've been staying in the hotels for a long time, since the opening of both, making regular visits sometimes 2-3 times a year and they've always kept them looking very fresh.  Some of the changes have had quite adverse reactions from enthusiasts, such as the paintwork, carpet replacements, additional theming, restaurant refurbs.

The rooms are always kept clean and tidy and apart from some of the bathrooms looking tired, I can't really say Splash has aged now 10 years since it opened

What I don't like however, is the overly bright paintwork they're doing around Splash at the moment. Last season they completely ruined some of the theming including the outdoor water feature, and now they're at it again with the Water Park. It looks horrid with everything in yellow!

The standard of food has slipped however, I do agree with that. Both Flambo's and The Secret Garden are nothing like what they used to be.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:35 am

Which one is best? I may visit the hotel for the first time this year, the only reason would be as I'm planning to stay during fireworks and don't fancy 3 hours to get out of the car park.
If you go down to the woods today

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 am

It's really down to personal preference, both hotels are lovely and you can use the facilities of each no matter which one you stay in as they're connected together. The rooms are very similar, just themed differently.

I prefer the original Alton Towers Hotel because it feels a little more grown up, plus the entertainment on an evening is better so its handy not having to walk all the way from the Splash end, but my favourite restaurant is Flambo's so it means I have to trek all the way over for an evening meal lol!

Vanessa Feltz
TT Member
TT Member

Alton Towers Hotel & Splash Landings

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 am

I prefer the beachcomber rooms in splash, but the entertainment at ATH is nicer and far less kiddy, though margs bar wins hands down
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"

ADM182
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:00 pm

If your going with adults/older kids go for the AT Hotel, for the younger ones I'd go for the SL Hotel. We were in splash last season and the young ones loved it as they had Scrat, Sid and the Acorn out to entertain them and got them dancing on the little stage by Ma's, but for older kids and young adults I'd go for the main Alton Towers hotel!

little_paul
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 pm

PeteB wrote:
It's really down to personal preference, both hotels are lovely and you can use the facilities of each no matter which one you stay in as they're connected together. The rooms are very similar, just themed differently.

I prefer the original Alton Towers Hotel because it feels a little more grown up, plus the entertainment on an evening is better so its handy not having to walk all the way from the Splash end, but my favourite restaurant is Flambo's so it means I have to trek all the way over for an evening meal lol!

Exactly this , agree 100%  :)

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 pm

I find if your just staying in the normal rooms, Splash has a slight gain over ATH. All the bathrooms are dated though no matter where you are.
Splash has some rooms with awesome views of the outdoor pools on the far side of the hotel. I hate Flambo's with a passion, the quality either time I've been was horrific, it's noisy and uncomfortable... But the staff are always cool.
I much prefer SGR and if you want a nicer meal fully recommend it.
Breakfast, other than surrounding is the same in either hotels. If you want to try both, have breakfast in the hotel where you didn't have your evening meal!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:16 pm

And on that note ^^ I forgot to add that I actually prefer having breakfast in The Secret Garden lol, and also think the rooms in ATH have a slight advantage.

See how hard this is? I think the only way is to decide for yourself, make 2 trips throughout the year and stay in both hotels.  :D

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm

I agree with Pete massively!
It's all about personal opinion and experience.... I had a horrendous issue on my first ever stay at ATH, contracted food poisoning at some point on resort and ruined my visit.
I was then invited back for a 2 day stay at Scarefest, stayed in Splash and had a epic stay!

Say for 2 nights, 1 night in each hotel and I'll get you a 50% off hotel bookings for your visit :-)
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

tori_swift
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 am

For me it's the entertainment in the AT hotel and then drinks after at Ma Garritas (until we remember that getting drunk and roller coasters are a bad mix.) The only time I went to Flambo's must have been during a schooll holiday because I remember a lot of children making loads of mess and it generally putting me off  :(

The walk between the two isn't too long and you can go the indoor way when it's cold so its never made too much of a difference to me in that sense  :)

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 am

For me the price of the hotels really puts me off, I read earlier that rooms were £180 in November!
If you go down to the woods today

rossdeadmanz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:27 am

I have a great deal of nostalgic joy whenever anybody mentions the hotels at Alton Towers. I've always thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. The accommodation, staff, entertainment, grounds, food & water park were like nothing else I'd ever experienced.

I'd love to visit and stay again but I'm now at an age where I'd be paying for the privilege and "affordable" is not a word I'd ever use to describe the hotels!

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 am

Kenzie2012 wrote:
I agree with Pete massively!
It's all about personal opinion and experience.... I had a horrendous issue on my first ever stay at ATH, contracted food poisoning at some point on resort and ruined my visit.
I was then invited back for a 2 day stay at Scarefest, stayed in Splash and had a epic stay!

Say for 2 nights, 1 night in each hotel and I'll get you a 50% off hotel bookings for your visit :-)

I would have to agree they are different things  I stayed for the first time and went to splash landings it was great for the kids but as an adult found it a bit too kiddy children's entertainer shouting down a microphone  and all sorts is that wrong? No it's perfect for the kids I went over to ATH both evening for a drink in the Garden which was amazing

the debate it like askingmwhich is better Charlie and the chocholate factory or oblivion?

they are different things you can't compare them you just have to pick what your looking for

I hope to stay in ATH however if only SL is available then so what I'm happy