UK theme parks from another point of view!

electricBlll_Returns
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Ride designer John Wardley to retire

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:40 pm

TheK1lla1 wrote:
Sad news, especially to the fact that we all know what happened when he went away last time *cough* sub-terra *cough*  :D
What do you mean? He still worked for Merlin when Alton Towers built Sub-Terra.

But last time he retired after completing Air in 2002, the theme park took a turn for the worse. Old rides decayed, new rides were rubbish, and almost every dark ride under Tussaudes received some hideous "retheme" (Tomb Blaster, Duel, Imperial Leather BubbleWorks, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...). Then as soon as Merlin took over they brought John Wardley back, and there was a sudden spark of life at Alton Towers again.

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Is it bad that I'm kind of happy that John Wardley is retiring?

Before impaling me on your pitchforks, I'm not saying that as a discredit to his work. Far from it, his creations have amazed generations and created some of the best experiences in the world. I'm happy because he can retire knowing that he's had such a huge impact on the industry as a whole.

Time for an out-of-proportion comparison: remember good old Isambard Kingdom Brunel? His works revolutionised the world of engineering, but through a combination of things, he effectively worked himself into the ground: all the way to his eventual death (and even then he entered his last moments sending his latest creation on its way). I don't know, but I'm willing to bet that the stress of working on project after project proved detrimental on him.

Ok... Reality check. John Wardley isn't anywhere near that stage, but he's produced some amazing things over the years and it's all the best he goes out on the highest note he can. His most recent radio interview had him claiming that The Smiler was going to beat the likes of all his previous works. I mean, he created one of the world's best rides in the shape of Nemesis and from the sound of it, his most recent project aims to beat it. If that is the case, then what a way to go out.

It's sad to see him go, but he's at the very least deserves a good rest.

bartlettmike707
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:59 am

JonoD wrote:

It's sad to see him go, but he's at the very least deserves a good rest.

I agree! He does deserve a rest. But have you seen what has just appeared on the home page of his website? It looks as if some of us have been taken for a ride, and not by Wardley!!!!!!

kevwinkley
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:37 pm

When EXACTLY is John retiring, or has he done so?

kevwinkley
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm not sure how many of you are ECC members or were at their AGM at BPB in Feb, It was announced there, and is in the latest issue of First Drop so if you don't know and want to come, here's the details....

John will be joing the ECC on the Saturday of the ECC annual Oakwood camping weekend. Yes, he's coming all the way to South Wales to join is for our BBQ & Coaster Quiz and will also chair a Q&A sessionabout hislife in the industry. He'll also present prizes to the winning quiz team in out annual Coaster themed quiz and there are some other surprises to celebrate the 15th year of ECC Oakwood camping. If you're a club member look out for the invite soon, The trip runs Fri-Sun on the 1st weekend in August and is open to ALL ECC members...

So if you've any burning questions you want to put to the man himself, when you get the invite, BOOK EARLY, and if you're yet to join the ECC - Do so Now! It's a great social trip, with rides, a BBQ, camping in park, quiz and other fun.

Sorry for the advert, I thought it'd be of interest to you all...

Kev,
ECC Secretary...
Last edited by kevwinkley on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Its worth remembering that not only has he worked in the parks in their golden years but he actually seems to be the one of the main people who got the big 3 Merlin parks up and going. Thats a lot of phone calls, a lot of meetings and a lot letters/faxes.
He went from stage manager and a special effects tech on films to company Directer.

I'm sure the talent does exist out there when I think about all those huge parks abroad but will anyone represent Britian like John?
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Maseyg123
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Alton Towers isn't going to be the same without John. I emailed not long ago asking some questions, and he replied saying he is writing an autobiography (that, he said, will hopefully answer my questions) that will be out later on this year! :D
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Ah, awesome news. I hoped he would.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Maseyg123
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:07 pm

TheOutpatient wrote:

I hope you mean awesome news about the autobiography, and not him retiring? Aha :)

rhino18
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:48 am

Why is everyone STILL talking about something that really doesn't matter?

Maseyg123
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:03 pm

rhino18 wrote:
Why is everyone STILL talking about something that really doesn't matter?

No offence, but if you don't want to talk about it, don't come onto the topic.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:15 pm

Maseyg123 wrote:
TheOutpatient wrote:

I hope you mean awesome news about the autobiography, and not him retiring? Aha :)

LOL, thats funny. Yes, the book :D

Chukensky
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 16, 2013 12:27 am

Good news, Somewhere on the internet (I can't remember where) John was discussing about his retirement. In one question he said if they need me to help on a new ride then who knows ? I met him yesterday, I broke into tears when you know how much of an awesome guy he is and to know he's retiring. But hey, From this news we may just see him again :P

Long Live John  :D