UK theme parks from another point of view!

markclo
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

X sector closure

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi,

Going to AT for 2 days, 21st and 22nd March. Just called to confirm opening/closing times and was told that the whole of x sector is closed until the completion of the Smiler....dissapointing news indeed.

Does anyone know if this is the case or if they plan to open Oblivion, Enterprise etc? Been misinformed over the phone before.

Fingers crossed anyway.

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Re: X sector closure

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:12 pm

As far as I'm aware, X Sector is going to be open to the public as normal with the exception of the Smiler which of course, is going to be closed off until its opening in May.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:16 pm

No confirmation has been made either way, but Alton Towers have hinted quite heavily that X-Sector will be open from the start of the season. Certainly, it would mean a great deal of upset and complaints from the general public if they close a major area of the park and don't offer cheapened tickets.

Nath89
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:47 pm

When my girlfriend went on a training day at the park last Wednesday she got to ride oblivion. So not really sure why the area would be closed.

markclo
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:42 pm

I hope all the above are right.

I know there are secret elements to keep under wraps but to most people the Smiler area will just be a building site with big wooden boards round it.

Would seem a bit much to close the whole area. I shall report my findings.

Thanks.

littlenelly
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:41 pm

AT twitter Page states that x sector will be open but says no cameras are allowed. Don't quite know how they are going to do that?

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:42 pm

littlenelly wrote:
AT twitter Page states that x sector will be open but says no cameras are allowed. Don't quite know how they are going to do that?

It's a PR stunt, clearly impossible to enforce, much like the 'no sex at the Alton Towers Hotels' rule which made it into newspapers a couple of years ago. :)

Jimbo
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:23 pm

This news may have some truth to it. I went recently for a special event linked with where I work last weekend and the whole area was closed. In addition, (i'm assuming this was to stop pictures/videos of construction appearing), the whole area leading up to x sector was roped off.

The entire path and green in front of the towers was roped off from the point where you walk through to Hex and the Fountain Square. And from Sonic Spinball onwards (where the Carnival of Screams was during Scarefest). It had the effect of completely restricting access to that entire corner of the park. Was a bit frustrating that to get to the Dark Forest from Sonic Spinball you had to walk round the lake through Mutiny Bay.

This is how they would stop photos and keep x sector closed until May. The roping off of the area meant that the only view of construction you could get was the ride just peeking through the trees above the toilet units on the border of X sector. Bit sad as I wanted to get some photos of it (but I guess that's why they've done this)

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

X sector closure

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:26 pm

AT have stated on Twitter that X-Sector is due to open as normal on March 16th with the rest of the park.

They've also said no cameras are allowed in the area til The Smiler opens but this is just a publicity stunt

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Glad I found this up as I was wondering this myself as I'm going on 20th and 21st...this is awesome news as I love oblivion and was a tad worried

Cheers guys
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

Captain Chimp
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 pm

D4n wrote:
littlenelly wrote:

It's a PR stunt, clearly impossible to enforce, much like the 'no sex at the Alton Towers Hotels' rule which made it into newspapers a couple of years ago. :)

As I've gone with my wife, this has never been an issue for me...  :D

I'm going with the family over Easter, so it'll be nice to see how the area is shaping up after the winter break.  Fingers crossed!

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

X sector closure

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:49 pm

I would expect some actors around the area probably "enforcing" this stunt.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Although they can not stop cameras going in (without shutting it) they can certainly have guards dressed as nurses and doctors stopping people taking pictures. :D

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:11 pm

The no cameras thing was a joke

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:10 pm

No cameras in Xsector....

Might have to take my 300mm telescopic lens and stand just outside of the area lol

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ