UK theme parks from another point of view!

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Hex's popularity?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:17 pm

As a man that relies heavily on the themeing factor of a ride to determine its rating, I'd say Hex is virtually top notch. The ride is situated in what is arguably the life and centre of AT - the towers themselves. The ride is probably one of the best flats and most unique experience I've ever gotten from a ride. And I'm sure virtually all my fellow ride nerds agree!

Why is it then that Hex never gains the same level of advertising or popularity that all the other flats (e.g ripsaw) and coasters get? I can honestly say I've never waited in a queue for Hex for over fifteen minutes and most my friends who visit the towers are virtually oblivious t the rides existence until I tell them! Hex is fantastically themed and well modelled. It's mind boggling that such a world beating and timeless ride can go without sufficient recognition, and its eventual demolishing would not be anywhere near a mourned by the public than the likes of Ripsaw!

Opinions? Please share.

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Hex's popularity?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Personally I LOVE HEX for the following reasons....

Ride experience - Even when you know the trick of the ride, its still brilliant to ride... Theres no crippling height restrictions so my eldest son can go on, which he loves also.

Theme & back story - Its basically Alton Towers from conception to completion. Taking a local legend & bringing it too the masses. As for themeing, top notch (other then the plane stone walled walkways into the ride)

What would I change ? - Join it with the Dark Forrest as it perfecty suits this theme... Think of swamping that restaurant opposite in DF vines... Add a flat behind  and voila... larger & better range to the DF

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

rossdeadmanz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:20 pm

I appreciate and enjoy the theming and atmosphere of Hex but I find the actual ride quite tedious

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Arguably though the experience is more about the atmosphere than the ride itself? I mean, as unique as the ride is its the themeing that makes it so fantastic...but if that's not your thing then I can understand why

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:41 pm

I really like hex, and its this kind of illusion that I am hoping for from The Smiler. It's a nice break ride after a morning of big rides after you've eaten!

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:19 pm

clayj wrote:
Personally I LOVE HEX for the following reasons....

Ride experience - Even when you know the trick of the ride, its still brilliant to ride... Theres no crippling height restrictions so my eldest son can go on, which he loves also.

Theme & back story - Its basically Alton Towers from conception to completion. Taking a local legend & bringing it too the masses. As for themeing, top notch (other then the plane stone walled walkways into the ride)

You have said it all,

For me it works in every single way, its family, well themed, has a very high throughput and it does have re-rideability.

But the story didn't end there...
If you go down to the woods today

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Don't forget Hex has a monster throughput compared to something like Ripsaw, most flats would be lucky to peak at 700pph on a REALLY good day, whereas Hex is well over 1200. Then there's also the illusion of a much shorter queue due to the batching phases.

RITA123
TT Member
TT Member

Is hex worth it?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 am

ok,so im going 2 alton 4 opening day and i wondered whether i should go on hex as i havent before!is it worth riding or not?

Credit to Lewis97

Lefty103
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Is hex worth it?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:23 am

yes you should! its a diffrent experience to all the other rides and its a great experience!

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Is hex worth it?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:18 am

I would say its one you need to do once
I would say personally its one I wouldn't do again if truth be told but you owe it to yourself to try it

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:09 am

topics merged, as the question could have been answered in in here, and you will also find reviews in the review forum.

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Hex is the most atmospheric and best themed ride in the park, the story and just the general setting inside the towers is breathtaking...the only queue line I would love to queue in quite frankly due to all the info of the story/pics and the eerie music. It's a definite must ride every time I go to the park
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Why is Hex no advertised as much as other flats? I'd say because it's much harder to advertise than other flats.

Other than impressive visuals of the Towers themselves, Hex does not have much of that instant, iconographic appeal that most other rides have. In fact, its very appeal lies in mystery and in presenting a ride experience than is unknown and not very clear until it has been experienced.

Its popularity is moderate; I think there are plenty of guests that avoid repeat rides but the curiosity of the open doors to the Towers still draws guests in and still earns its place on the ride line-up.
Formerly "Dagoo"

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 pm

One of the best flats in the world

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 pm

It's actually one of the more popular rides in the ride. It's high throughput gives it the illusion of having no real queue.

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Adz wrote:
It's actually one of the more popular rides in the ride. It's high throughput gives it the illusion of having no real queue.

It's throughput is amazing I went in the summer season last year and I waited 5 minutes to get on and that was in the cinema room.
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

KevBales
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 pm

I think in some ways it adds to the mystery of the ride having it not advertised, especially when you walk round the towers and come to the open doors and not knowing what's inside.

To be fair though Hex is 13 years old this season so it isn't going to be advertised as much as the other family rides or even the flat thrill rides. But Hex does feature on the Extraordinary Golf and on the tills in Towers Trading so its presence does still feature in certain places on the park.

I'm worried that if it's popularity continues to decrease then we'll see it go  :cry: just like when the Haunted House became Duel and all that wonderful theming went, I just hope it stays for many years to come!
"If they open the vault they're meddling with things they don't understand... they should just leave the vault alone..."

SmilingMonkey
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:15 pm

I think Hex is a staple of the park. It's a great (indoor) attraction which the park desperately needs to hang on too - there's certainly a rush from the longer DF queues when it starts raining!

The element of mystery is fantastic and love it each time I go on it. A must (by the way) if you haven't yet tried it out :)
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 am

I do wonder how many guests simply walk past and don't even know it is there as the signage outside doesn't really seem ride to jump out at me that it is a ride.
If you go down to the woods today

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:27 am

SmilingMonkey wrote:
I think Hex is a staple of the park. It's a great (indoor) attraction which the park desperately needs to hang on too - there's certainly a rush from the longer DF queues when it starts raining!

The element of mystery is fantastic and love it each time I go on it. A must (by the way) if you haven't yet tried it out :)

I 100% agree :) Hex is one of those rides that I don't even need to have an explanation to go on; both my friends and family I have visited with have the same opinion. It's got such fantastic atmosphere and somehow, even though I must have been through in the region of 40-50 times, I keep on going back and will carry on to :)