UK theme parks from another point of view!

gb155
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

how strict are the height restrictions

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:35 pm

my daughter is 1.34 meters tall

I note most rides are set at 1.40

how strict is this policy as she LOVES rollercoasters and we are planning a visit

Thanks
On a Mission to lose 20 stone,,Scrub That.......Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 11 Lbs

March 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 14851 Miles

[url=http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/[/url]

Now the hard work starts.

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Re: how strict are the height restrictions

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:37 pm

There are strict. Doubt she will get on tbh.

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:53 pm

As strict as rules get.

I know it sounds boring but the rules are there in order to cut the risk of any accidents. As your daughter is below 1.4m, i'd advise to wait for her to grow a bit OR (not saying you should) put large sole shoes in an attempt to boost over the limit.

marita
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:57 pm

very strict on Nemesis, Air and Rita

Large soled shoes are a good idea but the ride ops will ask them to remove the shoes to check the height.

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:59 pm

gb155 wrote:
my daughter is 1.34 meters tall

I note most rides are set at 1.40

how strict is this policy as she LOVES rollercoasters and we are planning a visit

Thanks

For her safety I'd advise you not to. The guide lines are set for the publics safety not for banter
Image credit to Lewis97

gb155
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:00 pm

altontowerskid wrote:
As strict as rules get.

I know it sounds boring but the rules are there in order to cut the risk of any accidents. As your daughter is below 1.4m, i'd advise to wait for her to grow a bit OR (not saying you should) put large sole shoes in an attempt to boost over the limit.

Would that become unsafe tho?
On a Mission to lose 20 stone,,Scrub That.......Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 11 Lbs

March 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 14851 Miles

[url=http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/[/url]

Now the hard work starts.

Stevom
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Just got in from 2 days with my 10 year old.

He was checked on almost every 1.4m ride there is, so they are very hot on this. They gave him a wrist band to say he was over the height in the end to save the constant questions.

Steve

ManiaMuse
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 pm

I'd expect them to be pretty strict tbh. The ride manufacturers determine what height/size person can safely, securely and comfortably fit in their restraints. Alton Towers have to follow that guidance otherwise they could be sued for negligence should something go wrong, regardless if it is related to her height or not.

There is likely some leeway in the height the restraints can really safely secure as the manufacturers fully expect a few small people to slip by. So it would probably be safe for her to ride the big rides. However Alton Towers can't take that risk.

Plus it becomes a slippery slope, let a few kids on who are 1.3m tall and then some kids who are 1.2m tall will want to ride. You have to draw a line and it just happens that it is at 1.4m. Also it just happens that most of Alton Tower's coasters are either B&Ms, who are notoriously conservative, or Intamin, who have had fatal problems with restraints in the past caused by lax ride operations.
Last edited by ManiaMuse on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Sub Terra is the only one where they're a little bit 'looser' when it comes to height restriction - entirely because the ride system itself doesn't actually require it.

Stevom
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 pm

I didn't let my 10 year old anywhere near sub terra, we walked past on the first day and there was a guy in a gas mask with gross makeup on. Why the hell he was let out to roam around the passers by I do not know, he freaked my boy out. Keep them in the ride and we can avoid it at our choice.

Perhaps this should be in another thread.

Steve

Kendalgal
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:23 pm

I really wouldn't fake a height of a child tbh. What happens, and god forbid it never does, something went wrong? I'm sure they'll appreciate it more when they are tall enough.

I understand the frustration though as I have a 9 year old a few cm short of the 1.4m however we make it exciting by measuring each month and throwing the "eat more veg and you'll grow quicker" comments in :p lol.
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:32 pm

6cm difference, bring a pair of gloves and make sure she wears large shoes, then put them on her souls, she should be tall enough then! ;) Its what I used to do when I was that height! If you are that eager, just put things substantial in their shoes, Its no different to heels, but heels are not allowed, so socks/gloves in the shoes does the trick, then as they get slightly taller it goes to maps in the shoes then finally thick soled shoes, then they are tall enough!

Alex Tyler
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 pm

A bit off topic, Why is Sub-terra 1.4 when Drop Dead at the London Dungeon is 1.2 (both are drop tower by (I think ABC))

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:35 am

Stevom wrote:
Just got in from 2 days with my 10 year old.

He was checked on almost every 1.4m ride there is, so they are very hot on this. They gave him a wrist band to say he was over the height in the end to save the constant questions.

Steve

ah yes if your just over the limit they gave me a nice pink wristband (not trendy but it got me on the ride) :p
Image credit to Lewis97

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:37 am

One would assume that height regs are there as compulsary health and safety. The ride ops shouldn't be leniant because if something were to happen and the child was injured, you would sue their behinds! Not worth the risk imo, just put back your visit for a few months to see!

redpiggy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:18 pm

alex tyler wrote:
A bit off topic, Why is Sub-terra 1.4 when Drop Dead at the London Dungeon is 1.2 (both are drop tower by (I think ABC))

I think it's to slightly help enforce a bit of an age limit on it too. Generally, kids over 1.4m are going to be older than kids over 1.2m (although I know there are exceptions)

The height thing is a weird one really.. What you have got to consider is that if you have a kid who is 1.35m tall, and you add 5cm to their leg length with things in shoes for example, it is only exactly the same someone who is 1.4m tall, but has the same body length as your kid, and therefore the same length legs as your newly adjusted child.. There will be no difference in the way the restraints fit, despite one child actually being shorter than the other.

I would wear big soled trainers and my hair on top of my head as a kid to ensure I was tall enough!

You have to be sensible though. There is no way you'd get away with more than a couple of cms anyway, which probably means the height limit is higher than it needs to be to be safe, just so that people who take their children on, knowing what the height limit is, aren't putting them at risk.

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:25 pm

redpiggy wrote:
...your newly adjusted child...

Available in all stores nationwide lol

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Keira
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Do they really ask kids to remove their shoes...? We've got a little one who is literally JUST under 1.2 without shoes and wants to ride Spinball, we figured she'd have no problems since she makes the height with her shoes on...

Stevom
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Keira wrote:
Do they really ask kids to remove their shoes...? We've got a little one who is literally JUST under 1.2 without shoes and wants to ride Spinball, we figured she'd have no problems since she makes the height with her shoes on...

No they don't ask to remove shoes, they do make sure the shoes are flat on the floor though.

Steve

MJNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:17 pm

You shouldn't toy with the idea of cheating the safety system. The ride ops do a magnificent job of keeping guests safe considering the huge throughput of visitors who are often not in the best of moods from the long queues. If your child is too small then it would probably be best to say 'you can ride the bigger ones next year' or something.

What really annoyed me was last year at Thorpe Park I was waiting to get on Slammer and there was a small girl who got off before my turn. She removed the lap bar but managed to wriggle out of the shoulder restraint without lifting it. I know it's only half of the restraint system but it shouldn't happen.