UK theme parks from another point of view!

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Re: John Wardley's autobiography out now

Sun May 05, 2013 11:37 pm

what a great read John autobiography was. I will never look at some film in the same way again  :D

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

John Wardley's autobiography out now

Mon May 06, 2013 8:55 am

Delta79 wrote:
what a great read John autobiography was. I will never look at some film in the same way again  :D

I agree. I think we all mostly knew his past in the film industry but reading it and seeing what actual things he did, it'll but a new view on each film we rewatch now.

I found the first half of the book (the stuff we probably didn't know before) was brilliant, it's so interesting to see how a passion for something has evolved and why.

I must add, I'm 24, I have read many-a-book but have never actually completed one (I'm lazy in that respect). This is the first book I've read from start to finish and kept me interested the whole way through.

Now, please, can he write another one? :D
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

electricBlll_Returns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 06, 2013 10:40 am

PeteB wrote:
Although not related to the book, I've just found this 10 minute interview video with John Wardley
That is the best and most personal interview I have ever seen with John Wardley. It shows how much he cares for poeple's enjoyment, whoever they may be. In fact, everything he stood for is pretty much summed up in that interview, it's really enlightening.

undeadarmy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 pm

I bought it last night, finished it in one sitting.
Great book, really interesting read.

I dunno when the book was written, but I thought he'd maybe mention a certain 'SW7' at the end of it, but no, the latest roller coaster mentioned was The Swarm. Didn't change my viewpoint on the book in anyway, just wished he'd put more detail in the recent sections about him working for Merlin.

Still, great book, and very interesting about his work on James Bond and his retirement.

Maseyg123
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 06, 2013 5:00 pm

I have read this, and it is the BEST book I have ever read! I personally recommend it...
:D  :clap: \:D/ :rock: :pelvic: :giggle: :woo: :mrgreen: :D
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...

Maseyg123
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Wardley's autobiography published

Mon May 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Tom G wrote:
I hope he's doing book signings!

I emailed him asking the same thing, and he said he isn't... 
:cry:  ](*,) :burn:  :ashamed: :no:

Buuu-uuuttt he said he would be happy to sign them at the European Coaster Club meeting at Oakwood in August :)
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 06, 2013 9:57 pm

If he decided to do a book signing on the day the Smiler opened, I think Alton would need St John's ambulance as we would have many enthusiast fainting on the day
If you go down to the woods today

bartlettmike707
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:31 pm

He said that if people bring along books to the Oakwood ECC meeting he'll sign them, and anyone who doesn't have a book he'll bring along some copies and he'll let members have them at a reduced price.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:17 am

I finished reading the book last week and I was a little disappointed, I thought there would be more details on the coasters and attractions he had created for Tussards/Merlin. But there were a few bits which made me chuckle and a few "I didn't know that's"

bartlettmike707
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 pm

In the book he talks about filming a Discovery Channel program last year on the Swarm at Thorpe Park. Apparently its going to be shown on Quest UK (Freeview channel 38) on either 17th, 19th, 21st or 22nd July in the "World's Strangest Jobs" series. But the schedule might change!

Danny

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:30 pm

As posted on TowersTimes Facebook, John has published the additional section on The Smiler that can now be found inside his autobiography, online. You can read this here:

http://www.john-wardley.demon.co.uk/autotext.htm

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:20 pm

A much better ending that the e book I got, I just wished he put more details in the book about the corsets and the designs, for me I feel he has given more details away in his interviews on the coasters than in the book.

bartlettmike707
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: Wardley's autobiography published

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Maseyg123 wrote:
Tom G wrote:
I hope he's doing book signings!

I emailed him asking the same thing, and he said he isn't... 
:cry:  ](*,) :burn:  :ashamed: :no:

Buuu-uuuttt he said he would be happy to sign them at the European Coaster Club meeting at Oakwood in August :)

Alton Towers have asked him to do a book signing there in August. I don't know the date, but Alton Towers will be promoting it.

Danny

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Not so much to do with his book, but he did a Q&A session at the recent ECC event at Oakwood and goes into a lot of depth about things now that he's retired. This is certainly the most fascinating talk session done by Wardley and it really hits home regarding how Merlin works when producing a new ride.

The interview can be found here. A large thanks has to be given to Themepark World Wide for being able to film this!