UK theme parks from another point of view!

Fantasmic
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Duel 2013

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Went to AT yesterday, and noticed that Duel was in fab condition! Guns seemed better, effects working, sound and lighting was FAB! Well done AT!

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Duel 2013

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:53 pm

We noticed this and left a comment to say thanks.

Today the audio for the first part of the ride was not working, so no sound until you got to the Trommel... Plus no heat effect by the zombies.

Duel does seem to be showing its age, I'm sure as soon as they fix one thing another breaks. There is that one strobe light which doesn't seem to have the bulb covered correctly which they need fixing too. Its such a shame, when everything works, it works really well.

But on Saturday it was the best I have seen it in many many years. Keep up the hard work.
If you go down to the woods today

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:23 am

Has the audio sync been fixed in the screaming room and has tigger been repaired yet?

Lexie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 pm

I noticed a distinct improvement in sound and lighting this week myself (although that strobe really does need covering), but I am always infuriated by the fact that the guns stop working a few seconds before the photo and miss the last "zombie shoot out" portion entirely.
No matter what else they fix, this always makes the ride end in a real anticlimax, and means that the photos are just a load of disappointed people pulling annoyed faces at big plastic guns. Not what you're hoping for!

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 am

To avoid the anti-climax, don't use the guns and enjoy the ride itself.

Lexie
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 04, 2013 2:22 am

I've been riding it since the haunted house first opened. It's in such a mess now I have to enjoy it for zombie laser quest, or not at all. :(

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Sat May 04, 2013 3:52 am

I've only ridden it as Duel and always enjoy my rides but can understand where people are coming from with regard to how it used to be as the Haunted House.  Having said that, when AT did Duel Live, I liked the novelty of not using the blasters and the use of actors to jump out at you - it'd be good if it came back again too :) 

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 04, 2013 11:48 am

The screaming room needs sorting out this year, a couple of years ago it was perfect but at the moment the sounds and the lights aren't synced properly. Also, I think the paint on the faces is fading, the faces are getting harder to see.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat May 04, 2013 1:44 pm

I have to completely agree with, how an earth they sell the photos is beyond me. It doesn't even present your score anymore. Duel however does seem to be in a better condition than ever. I do wish they'd tone down the LED splatter throughout the ride, it's sincerely unrealistic firing at walls. As a dark ride, it's. it entirely horrendous.

Lexie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 08, 2013 9:17 am

A revelation!
Yesterday, for the first time since I don't know when, the blasters worked all the way to the end. The photo was therefore really rather good.
I don't know whether this was a fluke or not, but I'm really really hoping it's something permanent.

Having said that, some of the faces are almost impossible to see, particularly in the screaming room, and more of the lighting needs sorting, but I'll take what I can get, thanks!

Unfortunately I was so blown away by the timing not being completely out, that my score was completely embarrassing.  :oops:

tcw1993
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:58 pm

what was it like as the Haunted House? Never got the chance to ride it?
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:40 pm

this is just a random question (not really a complaint) but what is that squeeking when you get to the trommel? Is that the trommel mechanism? Its become part of the ride. :D
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Thorpe Towers 13
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:52 pm

I have ridden Duel a fair few times since it opened. Sadly never got on the Haunted House but have read great reviews about it! Think AT need to give it a bit of a spruce up tbh, as much as I love Duel and other haunted houses there have been times where ive gone and its been laughable  :| Ok in my opinion its not the scariest haunted house, taking on John Wardleys idea of "scary but friendly" but still when stuff goes wrong it doesnt help :/ would be nice if AT gave it a bit of a spruce up
hands in the air and scream!

SamSimkin
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 pm

I remember going on duel in February half term, At 10 past 10 the woman on the photos asks 'who will be the first to buy the photos today!' And then later at about 3 we ask the woman how many photos she has sold and she replies (rather glumly) 2!
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION

KevBales
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:57 pm

tcw1993 wrote:
what was it like as the Haunted House? Never got the chance to ride it?

Check out this website dedicated to the Haunted House: www.hauntedone.co.uk it gives you a great insight into what the ride was originally like :D
"If they open the vault they're meddling with things they don't understand... they should just leave the vault alone..."

jamie.rivettcarnac
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:36 pm

I was talking to a member of staff there last week he said that duel will be getting replaced in 2 years don't know if its true but wonder what will replace it if it is
A coaster a day keeps them frowns away

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 am

jamie.rivettcarnac wrote:
I was talking to a member of staff there last week he said that duel will be getting replaced in 2 years don't know if its true but wonder what will replace it if it is

Just trying to avoid the game of chinese whispers here. Did the guy say:

"This ride is going to be replaced in 2015"

Or did he say:

"Meh, they'll probably replace this ride in a couple of years"

? :)

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:01 am

I seriously can't see anything happening with this ride, it is a massive building, the cost to change it will be very high.

Most theme parks have a haunted house/ghost train ride. For me this is a staple theme park ride, it does a great job, has a high throughput, very re-rideable. Now Charlie, that is screaming to be ripped out and updated

schmatt
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:05 pm

bensaund wrote:
I seriously can't see anything happening with this ride, it is a massive building, the cost to change it will be very high.

Most theme parks have a haunted house/ghost train ride. For me this is a staple theme park ride, it does a great job, has a high throughput, very re-rideable. Now Charlie, that is screaming to be ripped out and updated

It wouldn't cost much just to gutter out all the theming inside along with the ride system. If it is ever replaced I wouldn't mind seeing a trackless style ride with 3D effects, and a nice back story. Possibly similar to the Haunting's story at DMP but with a little more pzazz.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Well the Haunted House cost around £5m back in 1992 so in today's money that would be about £8m to £9m, which is more like a "medium" investment year for Merlin - baring in mind major projects are costing them around £18m at the moment.

But, they already have the building and the transit system. They could either build a new ride around it for less money, or for the same amount get a much more elaborate one.

After years of defending HH/Duel and hoping they would make improvements (which they haven't) I think I'm ready to just accept a new dark ride now. I'd prefer a dark ride based on haunting/ghosts etc though than something goofy.