UK theme parks from another point of view!

aidan.rudge.92
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Car park rip off!?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Ive looked around the forum and cant see any posts on this subject. I apologise though if it is about somewhere.

Ok, so I pay £70 to fill up my car, £46 for a ticket and then on top of that I have to pay £6 for a car park ticket. Is it just me or do other people think this is a little to expensive? I mean common, your paying nearly £50 to get in an then they add this to your cost. They must be making a fortune.

Its enough having to spend like £5 plus on a burger etc but £6 on a parking ticket is way to much. I remember when a few years back it was only £4.

In my opinion I think it should be free.

Would love to hear other peoples views on this.
:D

JoshC
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Car park rip off!?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Be glad its not as bad as Disneyland Paris, last time I went there it was €15 to park :O

eosin
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:21 pm

I think it's too much. It's hardly as if security staff patrol and can keep your car safe.
The two times we have been prior to the last, we stayed at the hotels and didn't even realise we were getting a perk with free parking.
The latest time we were there for 2 days so £12 was spent on parking which was a bit of a shock.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 pm

I used to say no it wasn't expensive as its in line with most major city centre parking costs for a whole day. However with the public transport cuts, towers are beginning to remove people's choice between taking the car and using public transport as the bus service increasingly becoming an unviable option for most people to connect to a realistically timed train.

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 pm

The car parking is disgusting... even Thorpe Park is only £4 (or it was when I went this year).

I mean this year I have a MAP, and the last 2 years I've bought tickets online so not paid the gate price, but still totally ridiculous to force people to pay extra for the priviledge of going to AT.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Kirsty25 wrote:
The car parking is disgusting... even Thorpe Park is only £4 (or it was when I went this year).

I mean this year I have a MAP, and the last 2 years I've bought tickets online so not paid the gate price, but still totally ridiculous to force people to pay extra for the priviledge of going to AT.

If I had a car, I'd happily pay an extra 2 pound to not park on Thorpe's poor excuse of a 'car park!'  :lol:

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 pm

I really think there should be offers round the park in some of the restaurants, but X meal deal or X amount and get a free parking token. That way it would counter balance, in effect it would work like it does in many city centers, shop at the outlet and get your parking refunded. 

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 7:53 am

aidan.rudge.92 wrote:
Ive looked around the forum and cant see any posts on this subject. I apologise though if it is about somewhere.

Ok, so I pay £70 to fill up my car, £46 for a ticket and then on top of that I have to pay £6 for a car park ticket. Is it just me or do other people think this is a little to expensive? I mean common, your paying nearly £50 to get in an then they add this to your cost. They must be making a fortune.

Its enough having to spend like £5 plus on a burger etc but £6 on a parking ticket is way to much. I remember when a few years back it was only £4.

In my opinion I think it should be free.

Would love to hear other peoples views on this.

Consider yourself lucky you can only remember the £2 increase.... I remember when it used to be free and was debated (on another forum) that they were introducing a charge.

For me, the £6 is a piss in the ocean compared to the Charge for the Ferry (£200 return) + fuel for the 450 mile, 9 and a half hour drive (each way excluding Ferry). That's before we pay an extocinate price for food and merchandise (x2 for 2 kids)

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 am

I love it when i see the parking charge, then i look at my annual pass and think value  :D

And come on, who pays £46 for a ticket.

Oh yes £70 to fill up? your fault , move closer ...  :D :D

aidan.rudge.92
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2013 10:48 am

Mate, I would love to move closer lol, if only it was that easy :( Deffo looking at getting a annual pass too  :P

Craftylee
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 11:37 am

£46 for a ticket? Jesus where do you buy it?! Surely you buy online and not at the gate

aidan.rudge.92
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2013 11:51 am

We went last minute and paid at the gate, yeah £46 at the kiosk!

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 pm

aidan.rudge.92 wrote:
We went last minute and paid at the gate, yeah £46 at the kiosk!

I'm sorry to say but this is your own fault. The £70 for petrol is nothing to do with Alton either.

However, £6 for parking is not great IMO. Drop it to £5 and increase security in the car parks. I have to say, I have never paid because I am lucky enough to have stayed at the hotels each visit, I would probably feel more strongly about this, if I had to pay the £6.

a13ex_f
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 12:25 pm

I never pay for parking if you know what you are doing you can park for free,  I wont broadcast it on here but feel free to pm me and i'll let you know

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 2:22 pm

The parking charges are absurd! Originally set up to fund road improvements in the Alton area including the supposed "bypass", all of that has long be forgotten and the money goes straight into Merlin's pockets as pure profit. They realised a better way to ease traffic problems for the locals was to encourage people to stay over on site instead, with even more profit as an added bonus. The won't even spend a penny to repair their own roads leading into the car parks and hotels.

So as above, I don't pay for parking either. What they gonna do when I'm trying to leave, eject me from the premises? Good, I'm going home anyway.  :P

Just to add further. The car parking charges are actually optional. You are not required to pay it by any law.
Last edited by PeteB on Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 2:48 pm

The car park charge is something which has always bugged me. Like the OP said, you spend a hefty amount of cash actually getting to the park in the first place, then one of the first things you see as you're driving in is "Don't forget your car parking token £6".

It's almost like they're laughing at you before you even get in the park. Very rarely do I say a bad word about AT but the car park charge is just extortionate.

5m1l3r
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 4:16 pm

PeteB wrote:

So as above, I don't pay for parking either. What they gonna do when I'm trying to leave, eject me from the premises? Good, I'm going home anyway.  :P

Just to add further. The car parking charges are actually optional. You are not required to pay it by any law.

So what do you do then? Just argue your case with the attendant as you leave? or just drive round him!!

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 5:49 pm

You just say "oh sorry i spent all my money inside the resort and didnt even think about car park charge, ive got nothing left so i can stay here at the front of this huge queue of cars behind me trying to get out if you like"

they make huuuuuge profits on the car park so a few that dont pay aint gonna harm merlin

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 5:52 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
You just say "oh sorry i spent all my money inside the resort and didnt even think about car park charge, ive got nothing left so i can stay here at the front of this huge queue of cars behind me trying to get out if you like"

they make huuuuuge profits on the car park so a few that dont pay aint gonna harm merlin

I would never have thought of that :|

SamSimkin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Yes it is, and we have complained about it before now.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION