UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
aidan.rudge.92
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 81
Joined: February 2013
Location: gloucester

Car park rip off!?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Ive looked around the forum and cant see any posts on this subject. I apologise though if it is about somewhere.

Ok, so I pay £70 to fill up my car, £46 for a ticket and then on top of that I have to pay £6 for a car park ticket. Is it just me or do other people think this is a little to expensive? I mean common, your paying nearly £50 to get in an then they add this to your cost. They must be making a fortune.

Its enough having to spend like £5 plus on a burger etc but £6 on a parking ticket is way to much. I remember when a few years back it was only £4.

In my opinion I think it should be free.

Would love to hear other peoples views on this.
:D
 
User avatar
JoshC
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 195
Joined: September 2010
Location: Someplace, Somewhere

Re: Car park rip off!?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Be glad its not as bad as Disneyland Paris, last time I went there it was €15 to park :O
Image
 
eosin
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 5
Joined: March 2013
Location: stockport

Re: Car park rip off!?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:21 pm

I think it's too much. It's hardly as if security staff patrol and can keep your car safe.
The two times we have been prior to the last, we stayed at the hotels and didn't even realise we were getting a perk with free parking.
The latest time we were there for 2 days so £12 was spent on parking which was a bit of a shock.
 
Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 1505
Joined: March 2013

Re: Car park rip off!?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 pm

I used to say no it wasn't expensive as its in line with most major city centre parking costs for a whole day. However with the public transport cuts, towers are beginning to remove people's choice between taking the car and using public transport as the bus service increasingly becoming an unviable option for most people to connect to a realistically timed train.
 
User avatar
Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1753
Joined: January 2013
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Car park rip off!?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 pm

The car parking is disgusting... even Thorpe Park is only £4 (or it was when I went this year).

I mean this year I have a MAP, and the last 2 years I've bought tickets online so not paid the gate price, but still totally ridiculous to force people to pay extra for the priviledge of going to AT.
 
Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 1505
Joined: March 2013

Re: Car park rip off!?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Kirsty25 wrote:
The car parking is disgusting... even Thorpe Park is only £4 (or it was when I went this year).

I mean this year I have a MAP, and the last 2 years I've bought tickets online so not paid the gate price, but still totally ridiculous to force people to pay extra for the priviledge of going to AT.


If I had a car, I'd happily pay an extra 2 pound to not park on Thorpe's poor excuse of a 'car park!'  :lol:
 
User avatar
jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 331
Joined: October 2011
Location: Silverstone

Re: Car park rip off!?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 pm

I really think there should be offers round the park in some of the restaurants, but X meal deal or X amount and get a free parking token. That way it would counter balance, in effect it would work like it does in many city centers, shop at the outlet and get your parking refunded. 
 
User avatar
clayj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 224
Joined: October 2012
Location: Belfast but Newcastle originally

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 7:53 am

aidan.rudge.92 wrote:
Ive looked around the forum and cant see any posts on this subject. I apologise though if it is about somewhere.

Ok, so I pay £70 to fill up my car, £46 for a ticket and then on top of that I have to pay £6 for a car park ticket. Is it just me or do other people think this is a little to expensive? I mean common, your paying nearly £50 to get in an then they add this to your cost. They must be making a fortune.

Its enough having to spend like £5 plus on a burger etc but £6 on a parking ticket is way to much. I remember when a few years back it was only £4.

In my opinion I think it should be free.

Would love to hear other peoples views on this.


Consider yourself lucky you can only remember the £2 increase.... I remember when it used to be free and was debated (on another forum) that they were introducing a charge.

For me, the £6 is a piss in the ocean compared to the Charge for the Ferry (£200 return) + fuel for the 450 mile, 9 and a half hour drive (each way excluding Ferry). That's before we pay an extocinate price for food and merchandise (x2 for 2 kids)
Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ
 
User avatar
Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2006
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 am

I love it when i see the parking charge, then i look at my annual pass and think value  :D

And come on, who pays £46 for a ticket.

Oh yes £70 to fill up? your fault , move closer ...  :D :D
 
User avatar
aidan.rudge.92
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 81
Joined: February 2013
Location: gloucester

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 10:48 am

Mate, I would love to move closer lol, if only it was that easy :( Deffo looking at getting a annual pass too  :P
:D
 
Craftylee
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 21
Joined: March 2013
Location: Ireland

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 11:37 am

£46 for a ticket? Jesus where do you buy it?! Surely you buy online and not at the gate
 
User avatar
aidan.rudge.92
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 81
Joined: February 2013
Location: gloucester

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 11:51 am

We went last minute and paid at the gate, yeah £46 at the kiosk!
:D
 
User avatar
altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 685
Joined: January 2005
Location: Too far from Nemmie!

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 pm

aidan.rudge.92 wrote:
We went last minute and paid at the gate, yeah £46 at the kiosk!


I'm sorry to say but this is your own fault. The £70 for petrol is nothing to do with Alton either.

However, £6 for parking is not great IMO. Drop it to £5 and increase security in the car parks. I have to say, I have never paid because I am lucky enough to have stayed at the hotels each visit, I would probably feel more strongly about this, if I had to pay the £6.
 
a13ex_f
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 10
Joined: December 2012
Location: uttoxeter

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 12:25 pm

I never pay for parking if you know what you are doing you can park for free,  I wont broadcast it on here but feel free to pm me and i'll let you know
 
PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3533
Joined: July 2006
Location: Sunderland
Contact:

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 2:22 pm

The parking charges are absurd! Originally set up to fund road improvements in the Alton area including the supposed "bypass", all of that has long be forgotten and the money goes straight into Merlin's pockets as pure profit. They realised a better way to ease traffic problems for the locals was to encourage people to stay over on site instead, with even more profit as an added bonus. The won't even spend a penny to repair their own roads leading into the car parks and hotels.

So as above, I don't pay for parking either. What they gonna do when I'm trying to leave, eject me from the premises? Good, I'm going home anyway.  :P

Just to add further. The car parking charges are actually optional. You are not required to pay it by any law.
Last edited by PeteB on Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posts: 2289
Joined: June 2009
Location: Stockport

Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 2:48 pm

The car park charge is something which has always bugged me. Like the OP said, you spend a hefty amount of cash actually getting to the park in the first place, then one of the first things you see as you're driving in is "Don't forget your car parking token £6".

It's almost like they're laughing at you before you even get in the park. Very rarely do I say a bad word about AT but the car park charge is just extortionate.
Image
Image
 
5m1l3r
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 10
Joined: April 2013
Location: Hereford

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 4:16 pm

PeteB wrote:

So as above, I don't pay for parking either. What they gonna do when I'm trying to leave, eject me from the premises? Good, I'm going home anyway.  :P

Just to add further. The car parking charges are actually optional. You are not required to pay it by any law.


So what do you do then? Just argue your case with the attendant as you leave? or just drive round him!!
 
User avatar
JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 309
Joined: October 2012
Location: Stafford/Wolverhampton

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 5:49 pm

You just say "oh sorry i spent all my money inside the resort and didnt even think about car park charge, ive got nothing left so i can stay here at the front of this huge queue of cars behind me trying to get out if you like"

they make huuuuuge profits on the car park so a few that dont pay aint gonna harm merlin
 
User avatar
Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1753
Joined: January 2013
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 5:52 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
You just say "oh sorry i spent all my money inside the resort and didnt even think about car park charge, ive got nothing left so i can stay here at the front of this huge queue of cars behind me trying to get out if you like"

they make huuuuuge profits on the car park so a few that dont pay aint gonna harm merlin


I would never have thought of that :|
 
User avatar
SamSimkin
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 136
Joined: July 2012

Re: Car park rip off!?

Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Yes it is, and we have complained about it before now.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 115 guests