UK theme parks from another point of view!

Brazilian13Guy
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Fri May 31, 2013 9:24 pm

This ride is completely amazing! From the beginning to the shop!! However, the Marmaliser wasn't working fully. I hope the mist of giggler will be more intense, and the flasher too, but the inoculator works well

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 pm

The irony
Also out may 31st

oblivion
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 9:36 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
The irony
Also out may 31st

It looks like he might have been corrected!
Credit to Lewis97

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 9:41 pm

I just need to know. The second airtime hill. Is it as good as it looks? Be honest..
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

temleh
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 9:43 pm

So what are the yellow guards on the front of each train then? :)
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Can anyone direct me towards a POV from today or are there none yet?

Static Veins
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 9:45 pm

Heisenberg96 wrote:

Posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-13BDBOUc

Tom.B

Fri May 31, 2013 9:49 pm

KittyKat wrote:
So excited looking at everyone's photos and stories. Can't wait till I can go! Missed out by 2 days. :( Looked online and it says 180 mins queue time... Wow. That takes some dedication.
Some people are dedicated. I like to think that I'm a 'Coaster Nerd-ish' but I'd rather get on the other rides with a short queue than queue for this monster. Would go on if there was no extension queue line like this morning!
I should be going in September or October, so queues should have cut down a bit by then! 8)

Nathan Clulow97
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 pm

What was the queue time for the smiler today also does this ride actually mess with your mind

Samwise
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Got home an hour ago after riding The Smiler! Got to the park at 5pm (only live 30mins away and have a merlin pass so i shot up after work) - Got in the queue just before 5:30 - Just as we were about to load onto the train it broke down for around 30 minutes then we were straight on the front row, Absolutely awesome coaster, so smooth! I also enjoyed the amount of freedom you have in the harness and carriage, Very comfortable and smooth coaster.
The effects however were pretty much unnoticeable when your flying past at 50mph.
Wise

BenLodewyks
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:02 pm

First post! :D
I have been following the construction of the Smiler from the beginning, and now its open, i made a account to talk with you guys :D
I made a video of the Smiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiOvp7VduJU

Credits to ATG for the photos.
I love this coaster, and cant wait to ride it next year! (Yes, next year, ive already been to Alton Towers, but it was closed then)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 pm

BenLodewyks wrote:
First post! :D
I have been following the construction of the Smiler from the beginning, and now its open, i made a account to talk with you guys :D
I made a video of the Smiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiOvp7VduJU

Credits to ATG for the photos.
I love this coaster, and cant wait to ride it next year! (Yes, next year, ive already been to Alton Towers, but it was closed then)

Hi,welcome to the forum

I like that video,it's great how it shows all differant views of the ride

Samwise
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
I just need to know. The second airtime hill. Is it as good as it looks? Be honest..

The second airtime hill is the best part of the coaster, it was undoubtedly the most intense section.
Wise

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Static Veins wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote:

Posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-13BDBOUc

Wow...you can tell how great the atmosphere was today judging by that video. Will the flasher inside always be that strong? Looks great but very powerful at the minute.

Mogga
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 pm

Samwise wrote:
Got home an hour ago after riding The Smiler! Got to the park at 5pm (only live 30mins away and have a merlin pass so i shot up after work) - Got in the queue just before 5:30 - Just as we were about to load onto the train it broke down for around 30 minutes then we were straight on the front row, Absolutely awesome coaster, so smooth! I also enjoyed the amount of freedom you have in the harness and carriage, Very comfortable and smooth coaster.
The effects however were pretty much unnoticeable when your flying past at 50mph.

Totally agree with the effects being unnoticeable, they look good in the queue, on the ride you miss all of them.  The indoor section after the station is crap, it's too bright, the stop before the lift hill is disjointed.  The duelling is awesome, when it happens, from what I saw today it only happens perfectly 1 in 5 rides if that.  I totally disagree with it being smooth, there is one serious jolt on the loop above the shop, it s very noticeable from the queue, on the ride its like stealth when it starts the upward hill and takes your spine out.  The ride also makes an unnerving dragging sound around the whole track, no wonder the paint is already coming off, the ride seems to struggle around the biggest loops. On early morning testing today, it nearly stalled again.

Ok rant over, this was never going to live up to expectations, I waited nearly 4 hours this morning, was on the second car and enjoyed every minute of the of the buzz being there.  The overall theming, marmalizer etc really does make this ride, I'll give it 8/10

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:19 pm

Mogga wrote:
Samwise wrote:

Totally agree with the effects being unnoticeable, they look good in the queue, on the ride you miss all of them.  The indoor section after the station is crap, it's too bright, the stop before the lift hill is disjointed.  The duelling is awesome, when it happens, from what I saw today it only happens perfectly 1 in 5 rides if that.  I totally disagree with it being smooth, there is one serious jolt on the loop above the shop, it s very noticeable from the queue, on the ride its like stealth when it starts the upward hill and takes your spine out.  The ride also makes an unnerving dragging sound around the whole track, no wonder the paint is already coming off, the ride seems to struggle around the biggest loops. On early morning testing today, it nearly stalled again.

Ok rant over, this was never going to live up to expectations, I waited nearly 4 hours this morning, was on the second car and enjoyed every minute of the of the buzz being there.  The overall theming, marmalizer etc really does make this ride, I'll give it 8/10

Not being funny the way you described I was thinking you were going to say 1/10 tbh  :?

Samwise
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:21 pm

Mogga wrote:
Samwise wrote:

The jolt was noticeable but its only due to the degree and angle of the inversion. Takes your spine out? It does nothing of the sort, it wasn't noticeable whilst on the ride.
It was running at a good a speed too, it was nowhere near stalling.
Overall they've done an unbelievable job, The Smiler is a monument to the coaster world.
Last edited by Samwise on Fri May 31, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wise

Mogga
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:25 pm

Also, and I know mentioned before, the washing machine shown on the marmi screen, well done alton towers they clearly do read these forums. 

And hats off to the staff and management for making today run smoothly.
Last edited by Mogga on Fri May 31, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:36 pm

Just a quick reminder for you all that ride reviews are to be posted in the designated topic here. Thanks! :)

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 31, 2013 10:41 pm

ok so I haven't ridden it but just from the videos I feel very satisfied for John Wardley (ride layout & profile) and Candy Holland (artist & designer) and everyone who works with them. Hope they are having a glass of the ol bubbly.

When I looked at the internal queue area video, it felt very nice on my eyes, very hypnotising/entrancing and the music sounds really weird and awesome. This ride is of Alton Towers standard.

I tell you - I've had a rough few days but the appearence of this ride just gives way to new hope, dramatic as that might sound
...And in the minimal station nestled in the trees, in the cleaness of it - the appearence of it already brings me a sense of being rebirthed from death.

I think I've seen 90% of the ride but can anyone tell me - Is there any smells in the ride?
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/