UK theme parks from another point of view!

daboywunda
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:47 am

A wrote:
He also stated in the linked documentary on th13teen's opening day that roller coasters don't normally reach their optimum capacity for a few months http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jx4WXnRvaSU

Ahhh, I see.. To be honest, looking at how The Smiler was operating yesterday, I can't see how there would be much of an increase in capacity as it was running pretty efficiently all day...

Any ideas what the ideal capacity for Smiler actually is?

mac359
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:41 pm

It seems like the queues for The Smiler have not topped 120 mins all day 8)
http://ridetimes.co.uk/  Looking good for me tomorrow :lol: :moj

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:42 pm

mac359 wrote:
It seems like the queues for The Smiler have not topped 120 mins all day 8)
http://ridetimes.co.uk/  Looking good for me tomorrow :lol: :moj

Sorry but it was at 180mins earlier, and people on park have said the queue has reached a 3.5 hour wait...

JAMMYD777
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Just a quick question. Do you think AT will maintain and even switch on all the effects, both indoor and outdoor, during quieter off-peak days? I'd hate to visit and not get the full experience just because it wasn't necessarily busy and the hype of opening had died down. What do you think?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:57 pm

JAMMYD777 wrote:
Just a quick question. Do you think AT will maintain and even switch on all the effects, both indoor and outdoor, during quieter off-peak days? I'd hate to visit and not get the full experience just because it wasn't necessarily busy and the hype of opening had died down. What do you think?

This is exactly what I fear might happen. The effects are a key part of the ride, and need to be maintained otherwise The Smiler will lose some of it's appeal if in a few years The Marmaliser just becomes a piece of rusty, completely inanimate metal.

I'm going in only a month's time and I'm still worried that by then it won't be the same experience, as what it currently is. I just hope AT and Merlin recognise how important how important the theming and effects are with this ride, and put more effort into maintaining this, than any previous ride.

jrch123
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:17 pm

lewis97 wrote:
JAMMYD777 wrote:

This is exactly what I fear might happen. The effects are a key part of the ride, and need to be maintained otherwise The Smiler will lose some of it's appeal if in a few years The Marmaliser just becomes a piece of rusty, completely inanimate metal.

I'm going in only a month's time and I'm still worried that by then it won't be the same experience, as what it currently is. I just hope AT and Merlin recognise how important how important the theming and effects are with this ride, and put more effort into maintaining this, than any previous ride.

I wouldn't really worry about that this year at all! They will definately do all they can to make sure the effects are working correctly in the opening year - I mean the busiest times (this summer and scarefest) is where they'll get their most guests, so I doubt they will let a 'key part of the ride' go down the gutter when it is needed for a full experience..

I'd have confidence in Alton, they'll do a good job.

Coolbeans14
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:08 pm

If merlin studios were smart, they would have made sure that effects are easy to fix, so that there isn't an excuse for the effects not to be kept in working order

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Coolbeans14 wrote:
If merlin studios were smart, they would have made sure that effects are easy to fix, so that there isn't an excuse for the effects not to be kept in working order

Well lets think about it...

Indoor projections - Being indoors they are less likely to break anyway, and you can just replace parts of a projector or get a new one altogether

Indoor effects, including lights and mist - Again being indoors they are less likely to break anyway, but could be solved with replacing bulbs (probably whole unit if they're LEDs) and looking at Oblivion's mist, it can't be that hard to maintain

The Flasher - Just lights so could probably be solved by changing bulbs, or minor electrical work

The Tickler - Mechanically the motors could fail, but could be easily fixed or replaced. However, the brushes may need changing depending how clean they stay, but again that is a fairly simple fix

The Giggler - Similar to my above reasoning for the indoor mist, using Oblivion as a comparison

Pre vertical lift TVs - Using Saw: The Ride as a comparison, whose TVs still work after 4 years, and if they stop working... a new TV is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things

The Inoculator - Really the only leg I can see causing problems. There may be sensory faults that mean it doesn't fire correctly or at all, and the pipes have the potential to become blocked. These could be more complicated to fix.

The Hypnotiser - Similar to The Tickler, probably even more simple as it is just reliant on motors

The Marmaliser screen - Although it already seems to have a minor glitch, this is probably repairable, and using the LCD screens in Picadilly Circus and Times Square as examples, I assume it is fairly durable.

The Marmaliser structure - I would hope that they haven't used a ferrous metal (has iron in it), to prevent the structure from rusting too quickly.

Other bits of theming, including pipework, paintwork and the arrows, lines and logo on the ground - They could be repainted if they start to fade, as in my opinion the garish and vivid colouring is vital to the look of the ride.

So when you break it down it isn't really that complicated to maintain. As long as Merlin are prepared to give a little more attention, and perhaps a bit more money to this ride than any previous ride, I am now more confident that they will be able to retain the same experience for many years to come!
Last edited by lewis97 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:59 pm

is the indoor mist atomized water or fog machine?
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Forza_Dan24
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:03 pm

TheOutpatient wrote:
is the indoor mist atomized water or fog machine?

It's a fog machine, a black pipe runs above the exit of the station with a small amount of fog seeping out small holes. When a train is despatched the rate increases to create a bit of a curtain which is a really nice effect :) It's not like a full 'waterfall' of fog though.
Last edited by Forza_Dan24 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!

BHXDMT
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:49 pm

What a great coaster. I won't post too much in here, because I've gone into detail in the Review topic.

It stopped briefly at around 2pm today, but seemed to be running again not long after I left... other than that, ran fine all morning! Seems to be going pretty well.

The wheels though... my god, the wheels. The vibrations in the last row are awful. It was actually uncomfortable on the feet.
Last edited by BHXDMT on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoventryBee
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Hahaha I'm making the stupid decision of going on the 18th July for someone's birthday. Last week of school term I think. Eeeeeeeek. Are there Fastrack available yet?

Instant Mix
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Booked to go late june with my mates from work. Christ, this is going to be insane. That roar of the track...

Also, This is going to sound weird but does anyone have any close-up shots of the trains, and any that are side on or show the underside of the train? I need it for reasons

bealyboy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:15 pm

do we think fasttacks will be avalible for smiler @ scarefest 4 map and hotel people because there isnt a ERT and we normally get a blivvy, nemmy and Charlie Chocolate Factory one
SMILE.ALWAYS

Static Veins
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:16 pm

CoventryBee wrote:
Hahaha I'm making the stupid decision of going on the 18th July for someone's birthday. Last week of school term I think. Eeeeeeeek. Are there Fastrack available yet?

Enjoy all those school trips :P

I'm going to be booking a trip in the next week or so. Not sure when for though. I'm assuming it's going to be busy all the way until September now, between school trips and then the summer holidays? Would rather go sooner than later, but would much rather go when it's not packed to breaking point ;)

Jmurphy55
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Quick question about the roughness of the ride.
I'm going to AT for 2 days with my girlfriend in a couple of weeks, she's never really ridden a roller coaster before but is up for trying them, she likes fairground rides and stuff so I think she'l probably like coasters as well.
My only worry is that she's quite short, maybe just over 5ft? And I really don't want her first coaster experience to end with a a headache or painful thighs as apparently I've read that the shoulder part of the OTSR is quite high.
I realise I can tell her to brace at certain points etc but it isn't exactly painting a great image of coasters lol!
Anyone of her height care to she'd any light? I've been on Saw and I know that can be fairly rough in parts!

CoventryBee
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Static Veins wrote:
CoventryBee wrote:

I'm going to be booking a trip in the next week or so. Not sure when for though. I'm assuming it's going to be busy all the way until September now, between school trips and then the summer holidays? Would rather go sooner than later, but would much rather go when it's not packed to breaking point ;)

Oh I'll love them! All those girls dressed in mini skirts and the lads smoking outside Squirrel Nutty. What could be better? :p

I'm only going because it's for a birthday and I've been invited and I'm not paying so can't complain. I'm just going to enjoy the day not bothering about what I ride because everything will be rammed. I'm going again in September and October for Scarefest so plenty of time yet for a massive ride count :P

SmileyMan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Jmurphy55 wrote:
Quick question about the roughness of the ride.
I'm going to AT for 2 days with my girlfriend in a couple of weeks, she's never really ridden a roller coaster before but is up for trying them, she likes fairground rides and stuff so I think she'l probably like coasters as well.
My only worry is that she's quite short, maybe just over 5ft? And I really don't want her first coaster experience to end with a a headache or painful thighs as apparently I've read that the shoulder part of the OTSR is quite high.
I realise I can tell her to brace at certain points etc but it isn't exactly painting a great image of coasters lol!
Anyone of her height care to she'd any light? I've been on Saw and I know that can be fairly rough in parts!

I am 5 ft 1, (And 14, so don't think I am that small for my age!). I have tried LOADS on all rides, including colossus (Which is horrific and I don't go on it anymore). I tried wrapping a massive scarf around my head :D Like an Egyptian mummy! However, I don't think this is something your girlfriend would want to do!

Lets compare it to something more similar to THE SMILER, Saw:The Ride. On Saw, I try and always keep my neck rigid, and always put my head firm against the headrest. By the sounds of THE SMILER though, the restraints sound quite roomy, so mayb headbanging won't be as bad as Saw.

Just tell her to keep her head back, and make sure it's rigid. I have also tried just putting my hands on either side of my head, which actually works for rough parts, but this varies depending on the roller coaster.

Hope this helps! SmileyMan

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Static Veins wrote:
CoventryBee wrote:

Oh no, common error my friend.

The very last week of July, around 26th-31st, is one of the best times to go. The last three years I've paid a visit that week. I'm yet to wait in a queue that exceeds 25 minutes. Lets just hope it's the same this year as the common pattern the last three years.

Probably shouldn't be telling people this because it defeats the point...but if you want to ride The Smiler as soon as possible with a small queue, very end of July is a good bet. Of course I can't guarantee it so I take no blame if its packed, but I'm going then again based on how empty it usually is, and how good the weather is. :)

I'm going 23rd of June as well this year...I really don't know why, that'll be ridiculously busy. I'm just too eager to get on The Smiler. Hopefully that time I'll get at least a round or two and then get most my rides in the end of July.

daboywunda
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Was just looking at the plans that were submitted. What we actually have vs what was submitted is actually completely different! Even down to the paths, fences and queue line!