UK theme parks from another point of view!

zenith
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:22 pm

zenith wrote:

First train goes out on it's own, completes a circuit without issue.

Second train goes get's to the vertical lift hill and the third train goes. Both trains make it home although noticeably very slowly especially around the loops towards the bottom of the ride area. Next two trains leave at the same times as the two previous and the 5th train doesn't make it up the second loop and stalls back.

Having just watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLw1Mpx-KaE it must have been the 4th train that stalled since they didn't send a 5th out of the station up the first lift hill because of the stall.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:24 pm

My one trip a year is planned for tomorrow. I have travel costs. Child care to sort out. Work holiday booked. People saying cut towers some slack should really understand that each customer can go through a lot for a visit to AT. And to get there and find out the main reason you have gone is closed. Well it's more than disappointing. The fact this has stalled shows that they are yet to fully test this thing. And to open it up to the public and have adverts and websites saying its open yet a routine warm up test of a morning causes a stall? Sorry but this is bad on my behalf. If this isn't open tomorrow I will be complaining and you can judge me all you want. The money towers must be making from people going JUST for the smiler yet they can't even stick to opening dates or even fully test the thing. And worst of all the shere lack of communication from them is ridiculous. Without customers there is no Towers!

And I'm not just doing it for free tickets either. As I won't be able to use them regardless
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 pm

GoldWolf wrote:
It seems people have forgotten that Alton Towers don't have to revalidate tickets to nearly every customer who goes to guest services. Especially because only one ride has closen down for the day. Given, the ride is The Smiler and has only opened for 4 days, but there's nothing stopping them from giving us NO information whatsoever or any additional tickets as a matter of fact.

A few people need to cut Alton Towers some slack in my opinion.

Make that 4. Oblivion, Submission, Enterprise as well as the Smiler. Plus a lot of rides broke down today, including a long period for Air.

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:58 pm

This is really quite sad, a suppose after a quick rush to get it open They may of not invested in a long term solution.
Something needs to be done, I feel so sorry for Alton they really have got a Guerst curse here.
Hopefully it will show that B&M are they way to go, let's forgot about air ;) but Nemmy is our best and oldest roller coaster at the park and she hardly ever experiences brake downs.
But it will be addressed soon as it not you normal brake Down, which is the only kind B&M mainly experience, it's another stall!
However regarding to the other rides that are down today I hope alton take there next year of investment not to build attraction but to re spruce the park,re do the rides and give all the park, that's everything from rides to kiosk and make over!! Anyway lets hope it sorted soon or we may have another Air type coaster on out hands...

Remember STALL.ALWAS :moj
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:04 pm

I know it's incredibly disappointing, but isn't it better that all these issues happen sooner rather than later? The Smiler doesn't have an extreme technicalities like Air or Thirteen, so surely once these issues are resolved then it will run smoothly in the long run. I'd rather this happened than it stalling with people on it and therefore Alton getting bad publicity from the press and media!  :shock:
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:06 pm

I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with the track layout, just because they're a new design of train they take longer to warm up than normal, the 4 days it was operating showed that once its up to speed it flies round the track.

Hope it's open for Thursday I don't want to do a 160 mile round trip on my lonesome for nothing.

singhters
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Am sorry folks but why open a ride that wasn't tested thoroughly to make sure it runs smoothly after all they have spent 18 million on this ride and they opened it without many things not being completed ie que area and concrete etc.

they should of waited put it through rigirous tests thoroughly and then opened the ride.

and yes i agree that alton towers should now give the park a good going over with a lick of paint especially oblivion que areas, log flume etc as they are looking worse for wear.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:15 pm

AltonThorpe wrote:
I know it's incredibly disappointing, but isn't it better that all these issues happen sooner rather than later? The Smiler doesn't have an extreme technicalities like Air or Thirteen, so surely once these issues are resolved then it will run smoothly in the long run. I'd rather this happened than it stalling with people on it and therefore Alton getting bad publicity from the press and media!  :shock:

Not when you spend £100, arrange child care and use holiday from work it isn't.

XXBENNXX

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:19 pm

i am about to leave my house to do a 6 hour drive, and i completely agree with Matthewr1990 i will be complaining if the smiler is shut, and not for any free tickets. i am a premium map holder. i am married, me and my wife cannot afford to go again, get time off work at the same time, do 12 hours driving in my MOTABILITY car ( being a disabled driver and making that kind of trip is extremely physically demanding, and then have to stay awake for day on park and be alive to eat in flambo's of the evening) it's well over a hundred in fuel and i have had assurances from towers management that the smiler will be available as they know i can not reschedule my break, especially at the last minute. Angry is not a word to describe the feeling, i understand it's not their fault but the website still simply states "now open".

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:23 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
AltonThorpe wrote:

Not when you spend £100, arrange child care and use holiday from work it isn't.

Apologies  :(, obviously this is from my point of view and I can completely understand when you have gone to such efforts. I just believe that long term it is better?! The park themselves have completely bombed marketing because of this. Customers are upset and this is understandable, but I wont be visiting any time within the next month. Have Alton Towers given you any compensation after all your efforts?
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

Tryst
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 pm

I was at the park today with friends. We were pretty bummed about the Smiler being out of commission along with the rest of X-Sector being OOB as a result. Air was being temperamental as usual, as was Rita, so it was a bit of a disappointing day all round and we only got to ride Nemesis and Hex.

There wasn't a great deal of information forthcoming about what was wrong with Smiler. It looks like it stalled and valleyed during daily testing. A combination of unladen trains and new, cold bearings could easily led to the 5th train stalling, however that's speculation at the moment - we will have to wait and see what AT say.

Guest Services were doling out revalidations to all and sundry towards the end of the day, no questions asked. All three of my friends received revalidations and we're going to go back in a month's time or so.

Bazza2112
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:43 pm

This is my first post on this forum after reading pages for months. I was wondering if anyone knew the chances of the smiler opening thursday as i am planning a trip and wondered how the big the problem actually is with the smiler :(

Shangalaing
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:02 am

Is it just me or does anyone think they should bring back the speakers on the top of oblivion but say something new:

"DONT, BREAK DOWN!"
Kiss my oblivion

chriss2603
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:33 am

Long time lurker here, I have been following the smiler like a crazy man from day one. So tomorrow will be my attempt at correction. Im going with 3 friends who said they wont ride if its 2hrs haha and do not like queues who have got irritated with me talking about the smiler and my discussing the ride times this past week. (think I need some better friends)

I have to say that I agree fully with the comments about lack of communication in regards to all the break downs and delays an that is where a big chunk is to blame. I really feel for the people at guest services these past few weeks. What really annoys me is that towers were so eager to plug this thing with various media blue peter, daybreak (the epic fail press night)etc They were too concerned about showing this thing off than actually getting it upto shape.

Whilst some will say "oh well its opening time of a new ride its bound to break down serves you right for going just for one ride when there are other" fact remains there are breakdowns which cannot be helped but they do little in damage control in regards to communication. It seems like a "we don't want to put people off coming so we will let the staff get abuse and give out tickets to keep people sweet"
The people coming tomorrow and who have previous disappointment from not being able to ride and have lost money/holidays have my upmost sympathy.

Ive not told my friends about todays events or the possibility of another big day of queues on most rides as I will love to see their faces when i tell them "well i was going to warn you but i didn't want to annoy" Then soaking them on battle galleons as its one of my favs and never breaks down......anybody for a waterfight :)
ps  Thank you to all who post on here who have been keeping me entertained for a long time here may change from a lurker to a poster if this essay doesn't get me shot down haha xxx
Last edited by chriss2603 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris-TT
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 am

Fingers crossed for tomorrow! Myself and some of the team members will be on site to hopefully ride The Smiler. If your around and fancy meeting up PM, or add http://www.facebook.com/chris.tt  8)

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:03 am

I'm there with the missus. She's an overly shy soul but if I bump into any of you I shall surely say hi. :)

Chris-TT
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:17 am

Hopefully see you on park today Matt!  8)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:23 am

Will you be updating TT live?

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:33 am

Chris-TT wrote:
Fingers crossed for tomorrow! Myself and some of the team members will be on site to hopefully ride The Smiler. If your around and fancy meeting up PM, or add http://www.facebook.com/chris.tt  8)

Will be on park in about 2hrs :D just got to catch 2 buses :) also has there been any news on wether the train has been fully removed yet?

We're they removing it in sections or was it just that 1 piece that had to be moved off site?

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

hannahm
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 am

Me and my boyfriend visited AT yesterday and have to say, we left very happy!

We normally make our annual trip in March when the park is quieter, but held off for The Smiler. Needless to say we were both gutted that it was closed, not to mention Oblivion which is our favourite. However, after a long journey there we wanted to make the most of our day. YES the queues were pretty big, but for most of the rides at AT it's worth it. At least we were queueing in the sunshine not the rain! We still had a great time on all of the attractions that we managed to get round to (with my army-like strategic planning of our day).

True, the queues meant that we didn't manage to ride everything, but we still got round a good few rides and had a great day together. Our tickets were revalidated quickly with no questions asked and we will get round to all of the other rides when we use our revalidated tickets later in the year. I understand that for some people coming back is a pain in the...... and for me, we normally come just once a year. But we decided to look at coming back again as a bonus! You aren't FORCED to spend more money on your second trip - take sandwiches and a bottled drink if that's what you want to do. Under the circumstances I think AT and the staff coped very well and did everything that they could to keep guests happy.

Whenever you go and whatever rides are open: your day is what you make it and it can only be a bad day if you let it!  :D  :D