UK theme parks from another point of view!

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm

were the wheel guards proven to be faulty?
It's a shame cause they did look pretty nice.

I think they were on there because the wheels are exposed to the next train (albeit at a slight distance).
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

ManiaMuse
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Would they be able to run 5 trains without significant stacking on the final brake run? Were they running 4 trains without stacking? If not then adding another train probably wouldn't add much capacity.

I suspect the 5th train is more just a spare in case they need to do maintenance on another. The more trains operating then the more likely they will have to take one out of service to fix something so makes sense to have a spare. Oblivion has 7 shuttles apparently but only runs 6 at full capacity for example.

ATJordan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:56 pm

What are the queues like at 11-12 for the smiler? School trip you see  :roll:

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:11 pm

ATJordan wrote:
What are the queues like at 11-12 for the smiler? School trip you see  :roll:

3-3 1/2 hours. It only opened at around 11.45 today.

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Now back to a 180min queue time. Rita closed.

ItsReece
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:21 pm

I qued 4 hours from 9 - 12:30 worth every second  :moj

japmfb
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 pm

I don't understand why they don't open the smiler at 9.00 ert .  Surely on busy days this would be nessasary to get every one on who wants to?

NecronomiconUK
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:51 pm

ItsReece wrote:
I qued 4 hours from 9 - 12:30 worth every second  :moj

There's no way in hell I'm gonna queue for that sort of time when I visit next week. That is completely ridiculous.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:57 pm

japmfb wrote:
I don't understand why they don't open the smiler at 9.00 ert .  Surely on busy days this would be nessasary to get every one on who wants to?

They won't be putting it on ERT any time soon. With it being a new coaster with a new design of trains it requires more testing than other coasters, which is why it's been late opening the past two days.

Although I don't understand why they can't start testing earlier so they can ensure its open for 10?

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:08 pm

what is the web for see the que times
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 pm

getothing wrote:

ridetimes.co.uk

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:12 pm

getothing wrote:

www.ridetimes.co.uk Won't be much help now though, the park is closed!

upgraiden
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 pm

How long does the single riders queue tend to be? Anything to avoid queues of 3+ hours.

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi sorry, I fell rude asking this but I have been away in the last week or so, exams and revision ect... :-/ can someone please sum up what happened if its not too much trouble? thanks :D
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

ManiaMuse
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:20 pm

upgraiden wrote:
How long does the single riders queue tend to be? Anything to avoid queues of 3+ hours.

Some people here have reported good experiences of single rider, even down to 5-10 minutes when the main queue is busy. I doubt it would get anything over an hour (at which point they would probably stop people joining the SRQ anyway).

Suggest afternoon is a good time to try SRQ based on what people have said here.

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:37 pm

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:
Hi sorry, I fell rude asking this but I have been away in the last week or so, exams and revision ect... :-/ can someone please sum up what happened if its not too much trouble? thanks :D

One of trains (No. 4 I think) stalled in the batwing on Tueday during morning testing. X-Sector was evacuated and closed all day. Opened up on Wednesday.
Last edited by sully1311 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 pm

upgraiden wrote:

We joined the SRQ today at about 1pm, and boarded the ride at about 2.45pm, although this did include 2 brief periods of downtime.

Shangalaing
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Hey, visited today, did single rider, queued for 2 hours with one pause to put the new train on with the dummies (I'm guessing its new as there was still cellophane on the otsr). Then a train was stopped on the vertical lift because the new train hadn't cleared the block brake on the final brake run. They called a code zero and lowered the train down, at that point I left the queue and went to guest services. They were friendly and apologetic about the downtime and the 23rd and gave me two fast tracks. (I know they are not obliged to due to entrance tickets stating subject to availability, but when you buy a MAP and book days off work because of the ride they build just to do that, I think a fast track is the least they can do).

Long story short I ended up doing the single rider again, waited about an hour and a half and got on.

The train is starting to feel and sound a bit shaky, but the new train that was going round was silky smooth.

I was amazed at how busy the park was today, lots of parents taking their kids out of school... (I spoke to a few asking if it was still holidays) but glorious weather for it.
Kiss my oblivion

Vordok419
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:43 pm

I also went on The Smiler today. Queued for about 2 and a half hours including the couple of times it was down for a little while. The cheers that went up from the queue once it was running again made it less monotonous. Of the ride itself. Damn is all I can say. Damn. It was absolutely brilliant. Though I don't think it's topped Nemesis, she is my favourite after all ;) , but The Smiler is pretty close.

Vordok

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Vordok419 wrote:
I also went on The Smiler today. Queued for about 2 and a half hours including the couple of times it was down for a little while. The cheers that went up from the queue once it was running again made it less monotonous. Of the ride itself. Damn is all I can say. Damn. It was absolutely brilliant. Though I don't think it's topped Nemesis, she is my favourite after all ;) , but The Smiler is pretty close.

Vordok

HA the cheers from the crowd when the first train of the day started up the lift till was amazing. This was yesterday though lol
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.