UK theme parks from another point of view!

DavidRock
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Me and Nicksy111  pretty much did the open sprint from towers gates gates with a short 10secomd break just after spinball as the kids that were following us had stopped but then decided to sprint again..... Quick run and we were on the front row of the first train when it opened.

The front row is amazing and the speed over the airtime bunny hop is something else.

Was weird to see the Code zero train stuck just at the top of the vertical lift hill. As people and Nicksy111 have said it did feel like it was slipping when we first rode it.

Second ride of the day was SRQ and me and Nicksy111 both got put on the back row next to each other.

All I can say is the pull of the back is great but damn is so rough when going through the second half of the ride......shades of corkscrew roughness.

Went on Nemesis (and it felt sad that once you have been on Smiler it has edged out Nemesis and dare I say it claimed my top spot)

All in all a good day and nice to meet up with a fellow TTF member ...

Just need to get the damn song out of my head now....... ha ha ha..... Ha ha ha.... Ha ha ha ha ha...

Shangalaing
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:24 pm

The 'little slip' happened on the first lift for me too. My guess its due to blocking, the train that stopped was at about that position and the test train hadn't cleared the next block. Maybe there is a sensor that triggers at that point on the hill which is go/no go regarding the next block and that causes the slight hesitation.
Kiss my oblivion

NemmyJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 pm

I was there today & queued since 9:30 - the ride didn't fully open until 11am & then got on the ride at 12:50ish. I was stuck with my friend just before the vertical lift hill for about 10 minutes. We then asked about fast passes (as I booked a day off work etc) but the lady said that she doesn't know & never gave us fast passes!!

All in all waited about 3 & a half hrs for the ride - was amazing ride, but thought we would of at least got something..

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 pm

NemmyJunkie wrote:
I was there today & queued since 9:30 - the ride didn't fully open until 11am & then got on the ride at 12:50ish. I was stuck with my friend just before the vertical lift hill for about 10 minutes. We then asked about fast passes (as I booked a day off work etc) but the lady said that she doesn't know & never gave us fast passes!!

All in all waited about 3 & a half hrs for the ride - was amazing ride, but thought we would of at least got something..

People pay money for the fast passes, I doubt there just long to hand loads out because you were stuck for a little 10 minutes. I doubt it effected anyone's day!

mike_roller
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Got back from a great day at Alton Towers - again was busy which isn't quite surprising judging by the rest of the week. I wonder if Alton is as surprised?

We chose to ride The Smiler toward the end of the day and I've got to say I absolutely loved it - we all did. I can't really describe why I enjoyed it so much but it was just incredible. I'm not really a fan of looping coasters but this was really fun. I didn't find any of the Gs uncomfortable and quite like how it hung around on the inversions. There's obviously that huge jolt toward the end but it didn't reflect badly at all on the overall experience. Also not much of a head basher wither and those hills were pretty incredible.

A great ride and I hope it's a huge success for them, which I'm sure it already is. I heard a comment when we were leaving saying it's one of the best rides they've put in the last few years. Also the ice cream queue was causing massive bottlenecks which unfortunately wasn't giving the impression the queue was moving as spritly as one would hope. Kind of a shame Fastrack will ruin the otherwise flowing queue.

NemmyJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:50 pm

RCandrew wrote:
NemmyJunkie wrote:

People pay money for the fast passes, I doubt there just long to hand loads out because you were stuck for a little 10 minutes. I doubt it effected anyone's day!

But when you've been waiting for 3 & a half hrs & it breaks down it effects your day - we told the story to a guy who worked in the oblivion shop & he asked if they gave us any passes.

DoubleOh7
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Wow park was busy today and very glad we bought scream passes to experience most of fv relatively quickly. We joined the single rider queue for smiler at around 430 today and qued for about an hour and twenty minutes. It's was slow moving!!!

One train was obviously new and going round constant with test dummies in.

One thing that did surprise me when waiting was how much the track moves on this thing! Is that completely normal?? I know there's got to be some but it was swaying an awful lot!

That said there were no problems at all whilst we were waiting and as for the ride itself - loved it.

I know there's no fast track yet but there seemed to be an awful lot of people using some sort of pass to get on - what's all that about??

NemmyJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:21 am

^ The only sort of pass I can think of is the parent & child one, but not initially sure.

Hmv
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:23 am

DoubleOh7 wrote:
Wow park was busy today and very glad we bought scream passes to experience most of fv relatively quickly. We joined the single rider queue for smiler at around 430 today and qued for about an hour and twenty minutes. It's was slow moving!!!

One thing that did surprise me when waiting was how much the track moves on this thing! Is that completely normal?? I know there's got to be some but it was swaying an awful lot!

That said there were no problems at all whilst we were waiting and as for the ride itself - loved it.

I know there's no fast track yet but there seemed to be an awful lot of people using some sort of pass to get on - what's all that about??

I think it will be a disabled pass!  :)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:30 am

Hmv wrote:
DoubleOh7 wrote:

Yes,I use this this and it's very helpful,although boy did I get a funny look from a boy at PBP

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:12 am

Hmv wrote:
DoubleOh7 wrote:

:yes:

EDIT: didn't see toms post :)

RobStandley
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:42 am

After queu'ing from 9.00am until it opened which was approximately 11.30am, I managed to get on! It was certainly well worth the wait! It's such an intense ride in terms of the length! Getting to halfway corrected and realizing how much of the ride is left is a bonus! Slightly disappointed with the whole late opening, having had to queue for 2 and a half hours especially having been told it was opening at 10am by staff! Glad we were near the front when it opened too! Those caged in cattle pens are ridiculous! It felt like we were walking for about 15 minutes just to get to the station! Otherwise, fantastic ride! Would highly recommend getting on this first!

Heres my ride photo:

mooster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:37 am

Smiler showing as closed again....!

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 am

I had a message from towers at 9:30 saying that the smiler was doing routine testing as per usual and scheduled to open early morning. This is my 2nd attempt at trying to get a ride on this thing. *fingers crossed*

Anyone there confirm what's going on?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:00 am

JayJay90 wrote:
I had a message from towers at 9:30 saying that the smiler was doing routine testing as per usual and scheduled to open early morning. This is my 2nd attempt at trying to get a ride on this thing. *fingers crossed*

I'm not on park unfortunately, but it's currently closed and there's a massive queue, as shown in the image from ATG's Facebook!

JamieH93
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 am

lewis97 wrote:
JayJay90 wrote:

I'm not on park unfortunately, but it's currently closed and there's a massive queue, as shown in the image from ATG's Facebook!

thats pathetic :')
i wouldnt even bother queuing in that, id rather ride everthing else and take single riders queue for the smiler when its later on in the day.
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:11 am

RobStandley
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 am

Must be the same issues they were having yesterday morning with testing! Something long term needs to be fixed soon I think, these problems need to be ironed out once and for all!

JW599
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:24 pm

It's open!

Looked like its running really slow, and one train with squeaky wheels, all tested empty.

Member of staff said four hour wait, going in single queue later on today.
Last edited by JW599 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Really don't see a point in queuing from 9am tomorrow. Anyone agree?

-Sent from a mobile phone-