UK theme parks from another point of view!

redpiggy
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:04 pm

I have been marmalised  :moj
It was worth every minute of the 170 I queued!

I was there on thursday but haven't been on except for on my phone so haven't had chance to post!

I was in the queue when it stopped at the top of the vertical lift and my heart sank like it's never sank before!

The cheer when they got over the top of the hill was immense!
I'm not going to complain though because for all the time it was stopped, enough people left the queue in front of me for it to not make a difference to my queue time probably!

It had one train full of dummies (that leaked all over the queue) all day as far as I'm aware.

I was excited more than scared in the queue, then a bit underwhelmed when I got to the indoor queue, but as soon as the train in front of me pulled out I was nervous, and I pulled down my restraint while cursing myself for going on!

But I have to say.. It is easily the best ride I have ever been on.
It was AMAZING and I don't feel like anything will ever live up to it!
For me, it did top Nemesis.

Fantastic weather for queuing in too, was a great day overall even if I did only ride three rides all day!

ScouserJohn
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:36 pm

so does anyone think it will be that busy next week, any schools still off down that area or anyone know of any school trips heading there any time next week ?

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 pm

I found the queue times to be greatly exaggerated when I was there Wednesday. Yes the smiler was a long queue but the woman at the front said it was between 40 and 80 minutes for single rider... It was 20 minutes lol. But it wasn't only the Smiler that were exaggerated. Queue times for thirteen and Rita were 45 and 70 minutes. I actually got on both rides and started queuing for nemesis again within 45 minutes. Was very strange to me.

ScouserJohn wrote:
so does anyone think it will be that busy next week, any schools still off down that area or anyone know of any school trips heading there any time next week ?

This week there were still schools on half term. But this time of year is busy regardless especially now as you will start to get school trips. And truants because of the nice weather.
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:45 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
I found the queue times to be greatly exaggerated when I was there Wednesday. Yes the smiler was a long queue but the woman at the front said it was between 40 and 80 minutes for single rider... It was 20 minutes lol. But it wasn't only the Smiler that were exaggerated. Queue times for thirteen and Rita were 45 and 70 minutes. I actually got on both rides and started queuing for nemesis again within 45 minutes. Was very strange to me.

ScouserJohn wrote:

This week there were still schools on half term. But this time of year is busy regardless especially now as you will start to get school trips. And truants because of the nice weather.

Dont forget nearly all six forms are off now and almost all year 11s have finished school.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm off to get corrected tomorrow, can't wait! :D
will try and get some good video footage!

CoasterEnthusiast
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Some Advice for everyone wanting to go on The Smiler. The last few days have been busy days. With testing being done in the morning and The Smiler not part of the Early Ride time (I.E 9:00am) and usually being tested on till after 11:00 in some cases. With this in mind, I would suggest making The Smiler the last ride of the day. As queues will be long through out the day. What I suggest doing is: Do all other rides you would like to do first eat and go to the bathroom just before joining the Queue for The Smiler as your final ride at the end of the day. (This being said all of you now will join at the end of the day making the morning queue short so still suggest some people to queue in the morning)

Smile.Always
Last edited by CoasterEnthusiast on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:55 am

Here's some footage of the smiler rollback on the v lift.

Didn't realize it broke down with people on it lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=IdT-KwOJHzQ#!
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

bealyboy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:27 am

And there we have it our backwards drop...
Is that the fi*s?
SMILE.ALWAYS

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:03 am

Sorry if this has already been shared, but this is a complete POV and shows the indoor section also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-13BDBOUc :D

Mattfat1
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:00 am

Rise times showing 0mins for the smiler. Does this mean its open on time:0

youarecorrectsir
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 am

bealyboy wrote:
Is that the fi*s?

Did you even watch the video?

It's a safety feature. They are extremely slowly lowered from the top of the hill using the fins to carefully control the speed of the car. No hint of a backwards 'drop' at all and I'm so thrilled we can finally put that whole escapade to rest xD
"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:10 am

Mattfat1 wrote:

It was doing that on Thursday at 10 o'clock despite the fact the ride didn't open til 11.30.

I'm not sure if we have anyone on park today?

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:12 am

youarecorrectsir wrote:
bealyboy wrote:
Is that the fi*s?

Did you even watch the video?

It's a safety feature. They are extremely slowly lowered from the top of the hill using the fins to carefully control the speed of the car. No hint of a backwards 'drop' at all and I'm so thrilled we can finally put that whole escapade to rest xD

I think there was quite a lot of sarcasm in that post..... Was going to put something like that myself until I read that :D XD

I find it quite interesting seeing it roll back down the lift hill... Suppose this means that there never was a law against it... A controlled descent down a vertical lift.... Seems they even got to do Oblivion in slow motion :D Full body marmalisation :D

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

Mattfat1
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:21 am

nicksy111 wrote:
Mattfat1 wrote:

It was doing that on Thursday at 10 o'clock despite the fact the ride didn't open til 11.30.

I'm not sure if we have anyone on park today?

Oh really!? That's another annoyance to add to the list, falsely stating its open.

Well I'm on my way, still a while off.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah I have to say I agree with what Matt said above. The queue times went much faster than what was said around the park. Although I set off for the park when I heard The Smiler had opened and queued. It was about 2-2.5hours long but thats only because it had broke down twice. The second time I headed down at 5 I was on it by 6. The inside area of the queue moves very fast. It just looks longer because people buy snacks from the shop and then the queue moves quickly around after that :)

jordanc14
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:07 am

According to ridetimes.co.uk, The Smiler is currently closed :(

Danny

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 am

It'll be open for 12pm, as it has done for the past couple of days. I just hope it's not too long until it finally starts to open at 10 along with the rest of the park.

djtidus
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:26 am

Mabalzich wrote:
Here's some footage of the smiler rollback on the v lift.

Didn't realize it broke down with people on it lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=IdT-KwOJHzQ#!

The ride does not brake down on the top of the lift hill. I saw this happen both on and wed & thurs and both times the car has been stopped because a car had still been on the final brake run. The ride system will not allow two cars on that section of track as other wise they would collide.

Mattfat1
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:32 am

It's open now.

Witherjo
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:33 am

Ridetimes stating 120mins. Must be open? Do we have anyone on park today?

Edit: Beaten to it!