UK theme parks from another point of view!

mike_roller
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:36 am

I wonder if they've ever considered giving out timed tickets with every ticket purchase. There's no Fastrack so there's no money to be gained and it would certainly help alleviate the queues and make it more enjoyable for all.

Although saying that I only experienced the timed queue thing once for Oblivion when it was free and I can't recall if it ever worked properly. I think there was a normal queue and a queue for people who had timed tickets?

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:37 am

Someone has said on TS Forums that they have started selling Fasttrack for £6

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:43 am

Screenshot or link sully? It would suprise me if they have done already.

Mattfat1
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:48 am

Apparently they have had fast tracks ! One of the ride ops at the enterance has said they just sold out.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:52 am

This is interesting, may be using that tomorrow morning then.

Vordok419
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 am

Welcome to the forum!

Was the video actually taken on the 6th? Because I think, if that is the case, then I was on the ride at the time you were videoing! At about 2:00 when the train goes down from the first lift hill, the guy shouting WOO-HOO was me!  :lol:

Vordok

obliviben
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 am

Ok this gonna sound really random but hearing people mention that because the smiler has a second lift hill it would class as two coasters *which I do not agree with btw* if colossus was to let riders round two circuits at once would it b the worlds first 20 looping coaster? Because although the train would go round twice it would invert riders 20 times im stuck weather to think yes or no

astralAndy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:58 am

obliviben wrote:
Ok this gonna sound really random but hearing people mention that because the smiler has a second lift hill it would class as two coasters *which I do not agree with btw* if colossus was to let riders round two circuits at once would it b the worlds first 20 looping coaster? Because although the train would go round twice it would invert riders 20 times im stuck weather to think yes or no

No, because you would be going over the same track twice whereas on The Smiler you just go round once as it is designed - on the smiler you complete the track and then disembark, what you're describing for colossus would be completing the whole track twice which is quite different.
Last edited by astralAndy on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:00 pm

I believe the record is based on the completion of one circuit.

Alex Tyler
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Can somebody tell me how the anti-rollback works on the two lifts (I know how normal anti-rollbacks work)?

Dana
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:30 pm

The smile queue line opened today at 11:15 after testing started at 10am. The first riders were on at around 11:40. I was glad I was at the front of the line as the queue time is now 2 1/2 hours. We got off the ride at 11:55 having gone straight there when the park opened at 9am.

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Dana wrote:
The smile queue line opened today at 11:15 after testing started at 10am. The first riders were on at around 11:40. I was glad I was at the front of the line as the queue time is now 2 1/2 hours. We got off the ride at 11:55 having gone straight there when the park opened at 9am.

So you actually queued for longer?

marshgate24
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:09 pm

why do AT think its acceptable to start testing at 10am, when they know its taking around 1.5 hours for them to iron out whatever they need that morning to get the ride open

they should be testing first thing asap, to ensure they have every opportunity to get the ride open for the GP at 10am.

JamieH93
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:05 pm

If they do, why do they think its acceptable to sell smiler fastrack? The queues are disgusting as it is
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:47 pm

JamieH93 wrote:
If they do, why do they think its acceptable to sell smiler fastrack? The queues are disgusting as it is

I was surprised at first how quickly they sold fast track after the opening. But we have to look at this in terms of profitability.

I'm sure that when budgets are set for an investment such as The Smiler, the forecasts will take I to account additional sales such as fast track. We're now in June, 4 months after The Smiler should have opened and we're quickly approaching peak season. No doubt Merlin and Towers are panicking, as I would imagine the initial plan will have been to sell fast track once peak season begins.

SpecyBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Alton Towers have almost a 100% profit margin when selling fast tracks and at them being at a high demand it will help them generate a higher revenue.

Bad for the customer without a fastrack.
Good for the customer that purchased a fastrack
Good for Alton Towers/Merlin Entertainments
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

Instant Mix
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:16 pm

alex tyler wrote:
Can somebody tell me how the anti-rollback works on the two lifts (I know how normal anti-rollbacks work)?

You'll regret asking that. Basically it's identical to how current magnetic brakes work. Basically, the train has special magnets underneath it. These magnets pass over the fins that are on the lift hill. It works as an anti-rollback because whenever these magnets ( or any magnets in general ) pass over the fins ( or any conductor in general ), a magnetic field is created as well as a current. This magnetic field slows down the train . It doesn't stop it rolling back, but it stops it from freefalling down the track, and instead moves at as slow speed.

Ladyofthelake
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:27 pm

According to ride times the queue seems to have been quieter, stating 120 minutes most of the day. Maybe some of the hype is starting to die down.

Anyone able to confirm this?

----reece----
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Has anyone got a link to ride times ?? I can't find the website

Scourfield
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:04 pm