UK theme parks from another point of view!

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 am

Ready_23 wrote:
What would happen if people were on it would they have to evacuate them? As I dont suppose you can use the crane with people still in the train.

Haha, that would certainly be a unique ride experience, but no, they can't lift the trains with the crane whilst people are on board. There is a special black and yellow cherrypicker, specifically for The Smiler, so perhaps they'd use this to get close to the train, and then release each rows restraints individually and transport each person out, either to the edge of, or into, the pit.

RCD27
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 am

I will probably cry if its not open tomorrow!

Just have to hope they were testing the same train again
Sonic Saw Stealth Smiler

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:47 am

RCD27 wrote:
I will probably cry if its not open tomorrow!

Just have to hope they were testing the same train again

It will be - All trains have made it through the whole circuit for well over a week now - there is no reason why this should be an issue with anything else but 1 train.

mike_roller
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:48 am

Gerst must surely be getting their balls chewed left, right and centre at the minute? And if not they bloody should be!

Ollie16
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:52 am

I'm on park, I'll go back over and see what number train is stalled in a minute. Until then, I spoke to a few different members of staff, ask if because the crane and geurstlar (apologies for my spelling) are both currently on site, will The Smiler be opening today. Mixed responses, from possible to definitely not. Also, there are so many staff present, still manning the queue lines ect?

What do you guys think?

On the bright side, it is amazing to look at, so so impressive.
What he said.

NecronomiconUK
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:54 am

mikecloud1984 wrote:
It will be - All trains have made it through the whole circuit for well over a week now - there is no reason why this should be an issue with anything else but 1 train.

I wouldn't be so sure. At this point we don't have a clue what's causing the problem. Maybe it's a specific train or maybe it's a intermittent issue as a result of climatic conditions, systems problems or god only knows what.  If X sector is being kept open they are likely to be leaving the train where it is for a while while they investigate.

I'm at the park tomorrow and getting a lil anxious about things. If it isn't running I'll be annoyed but I'm sure we'll still have a good day regardless.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:56 am

Oh my.. the drama surrounding this coaster. Can't believe it's happened 3 times to our knowledge now.

This is what every member of AT does when it gets to that stage during morning testing:

Formerly known under username Andy Mc

browny572
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:56 am

Anybody know how many test dummies they have had in the trains for testing recently? As it looks like only 6 in that photo.  Hopefully they haven't become complacent and put less in... Even though I still think that it should be possible to test without any dummies!

Going on Wednesday for my 1st ride, just hope its open!

mike_roller
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:57 am

NecronomiconUK wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. At this point we don't have a clue what's causing the problem. Maybe it's a specific train or maybe it's a intermittent issue as a result of climatic conditions, systems problems or god only knows what.  If X sector is being kept open they are likely to be leaving the train where it is for a while while they investigate.

I'm at the park tomorrow and getting a lil anxious about things. If it isn't running I'll be annoyed but I'm sure we'll still have a good day regardless.

Obviously keeping X-Sector open is damage control to prevent what happened the other week but how can they get it sorted over night? It took them all day to remove the train last time.

mike_roller
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:01 am

Looks to be another fairly busy day on park judging my ridetimes.co.uk although I imagine Oblivion's queue is due to everyone in the queue absconding to Oblivion.

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:04 am

It won't be anything to do with climatic conditions.

Steel does not transform in this "heat" - and it would take a vast amount of isolated heat to warp it.

There are two options to serisouly consider.

1) It's the train - this is the obvious choice, they are new trains, never used before. We also saw one train being carted off last week without its front UPVC wheel after it valleyed.

2) The chain lift is not "lanunching" the train off it fast enough, hence losing speed further around the circuit.

I am 99% sure it will be option 1. Especially if it turns out to be the same train as last week.

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am

browny572 wrote:
Anybody know how many test dummies they have had in the trains for testing recently? As it looks like only 6 in that photo.  Hopefully they haven't become complacent and put less in... Even though I still think that it should be possible to test without any dummies!

Going on Wednesday for my 1st ride, just hope its open!

Had a glance earlier, the majority of the seats had dummies, not all though

ProjectK
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 am

I actually feel sad that I have replaced what were regular excited checks of this forum to see progress of The Smiler's development with regular checks accompanied by a fear of dread to see if it's operating!
Sad times! AT must be deeply unimpressed with Gerstlauer right now!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 am

Some guy recorded from near the toilet block of it valleying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpWyC9t2nj0

The Smiler to be renamed, The Blade.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 am

The problem as confirmed is a computer glitch and a trim.

NecronomiconUK
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 am

Rob-TT wrote:

Confirmed by whom?

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 am

Rob-TT wrote:

Trim brake being too forceful on the way into the Staf Knot?

Danny

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 am

Taken from TT News:

Alton Towers latest rollercoaster, The Smiler opened over a week ago. With the immense amount of positive reviews clearly outweighing the negative, The Smiler has been a massive hit to guests of the resort.  It was therefore only going to be a short amount of time before fastrack was introduced for the ride.

Fastrack isn't normally introduced for a brand new ride until later on in the season, much like Thirteen when it opened in 2010. However, the sheer popularity of The Smiler [which has lead to three hour queues and the ride having to close at 8pm on some days] has seen the introduction of Fastrack for the ride.

With regards to the Fastrack, TowersTimes have approached Liz Greenwood at the Resort, who has had this to say:

"We have introduced very limited numbers of Fastracks for The Smiler to help us manage the queue line more effectively – ie, by opening the Fastrack line we can take some people out of the overflow area.  We’re very much reviewing it on a daily basis to ensure we get the balance right."

At present, only a certain amount of Fastracks for The Smiler are being sold each hour, so they sell out very quickly!

In other news however, The Smiler has stalled yet again, this time for the third occasion. On both previous occasions, a train has 'valleyed' on the batwing element of the ride circuit. The last stall, which occurred last week, saw an unweighted train stop in the centre, and had to be removed by a crane. There was speculation that the lack of weight caused the train to be stopped. It was also noted that the yellow wheel covers were removed from all trains after this incident. Thankfully, The Smiler opened the next day.

Unfortunately the third time hasn't been so lucky with a ride vehicle, this time with weighted dummies as it came to a halt on the batwing. It is believed that the rides computer system caused the trim brakes on the first airtime hill to be applied unnecessarily, causing the vehicle to come to a halt. A crane is currently on site to remove the stalled vehicle, and X Sector will remain open to the guests, something which hasn't happened on the past two occasions.

Liz Greenwood went on to inform TowersTimes that Alton Towers are working closely with Gerstlauer in order to rectify the problem. We will have information regarding The Smiler opening again as soon as we get it.

Forza_Dan24
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:35 am

Rob-TT wrote:

Seems fairly logical, train passes over the airtime trim just before the batwing which is incorrectly set too aggressive and scrubs too much speed off preventing the train from making it over the second batwing inversion.

Trims are just evil anyway :P
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 am

3 stalls now. 2 were train issues (appear to be resolved) and now a computer glitch.

Fingers crossed they can iron out these creases soon.

My guess would be that TS will be open today though - remove train (they've had enough practise!) and then restart the ride.

Did anyone get a verfied answer as to whether the crane has to force the train around the circuit or if they can just unbolt it from the track?