UK theme parks from another point of view!

Danscott22
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

I've got a trip letter to go to Alton Towers with school on the 17th July, so hope The Smiler doesn't stall or break down on that day!:D

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Danscott22 wrote:
I've got a trip letter to go to Alton Towers with school on the 17th July, so hope The Smiler doesn't stall or break down on that day!:D

Be prepared to wait!

Witherjo
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Mabalzich wrote:

What, no smoke?!

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Ok, so I was at the park today. After an awful nights sleep in Splash Landings (Do not get me started on the beds and the kids running down corridors at 1 in the morning)

Got in at 9, walked to Thirteen for early rider via Smiler to have a nose, noticed ridiculous queues building already (grabbed fast passes for 6 squid a pop, 14.30 to 15.30 time slot).

Noticed huge groups of guests walking away from The Smiler looking nothing like the marketed "smiling advicates". Quite the opposite! Smiler was closed, crane moving into place, hoards of staff surrounding the area, warding off unhappy guests. Decided to keep the fast passes (just incase) and went around the rest of the park. Short queues, great rides. Went back to X Sector at about 1, nothing changed, queued 40 minutes for Oblivion (which at one point broke down, and I was close to breaking point) then decided on one final lap of the park.

While queuing for Sonic Spinball, noticed the crane (one being used to remove the train) now leaving X Sector, so decided to give Smiler one last try (about 4 by now).

Queues have built up again, Smiler staff saying people are only queuing on 'the chance' of it opening. Eventually see two trains go around, nerds becoming extremely over excited (some guy with pink hair? May be a forum member?). And guess what? Crowds suddenly start leaving. That 'maybe' chance of it opening late, has turned into a no. Straight to guest services, kick up a stink, reimburse tickets for tomorrow, reimburse fast pass for tomorrow.

If this biatch of a ride isn't running tomorrow morning I will be curling out a mr whippy on the teacups in protest.

You have been warned Merlin, I will go Hulk on you tomorrow if this tangled mess of a ride isn't open before lunch. I'm not wasting another day off work for a 'MAYBE'

Sweed.......out.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

AidanCKY
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 pm

So overall my views on today are:

Impressed and Disappointed. The ride looks amazing and fits into the area well. Did not expect it to be so big in person! Disappointed that it was broken AGAIN!

The ride ops told us it would be opening briefly. So us and lots of others queued. Then 30 minutes later after testing they told us it WOULD NOT be opening.

Alton Towers are saying on Twitter than it opened between 5pm and 6pm. Park closed at 5pm (Air closed the gates in our faces and we got on Nemesis just before 5pm)

Pretty sure they're lying on twitter.  Anywhere here's a brief summary of today's Smiler experience!

Last edited by AidanCKY on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Witherjo wrote:
Mabalzich wrote:

What, no smoke?!

Going on what people have said so far i think it depends on what time of day you ride as to the amount of smoke that has built up inside.

astralAndy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 pm

Renoh wrote:
... but I want to defend myself. Last week I was given a hard time by a member (mikecloud1984) when I said that just because one train was seen leaving the ride, and that the ride was now working, it doesn't mean it's only a train issue (or a train issue at all for that matter).

... I stopped replying as it was a cyclic argument, so I am not trying to cause trouble. I would like it if mikecloud84 would just consider what we now know, and what he was saying last week.

You and me both, I have been almost totally put off throwing ideas out into the discussion now because they've hit that kind of brick wall - more than once. No give and take, not an inch of credit, just 'you are wrong' , as if anyone can know everything about the problems of The Smiler and how to rectify them, I'm happy to admit that I definitely don't! I was just starting to really enjoy being part of the forums too. After posting an idea I've been told I'm totally wrong, accused of blaming AT when I wasn't, been told I'm looking for a debate when I'm not, and then told "If you do not like people contesting your suggestions then I suggest you maybe not post on a discussion thread on a forum."

Nice! I feel really welcome now. ;)

Chris-TT
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Well according to Alton Towers Twitter account it reopened between 5-6pm today. I think they must be mistaken, as speaking to a fair few people on park who went into X-Sector after 5pm were told by staff that it wasn't going to reopen today....

https://twitter.com/altontowers/status/ ... 2890885121

AidanCKY
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Video of the front car being rescued for those that are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-iJKhpHF9s

hursty
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi,

A few photos from today's... um... yeah...

It seems some people were luckier than me with taking photos today.

Fortunately/unfortunately I had my big stills cameras on site today (they are quite, quite big). Which, when the ride valleyed, the staff we're non too impressed with.
As a result, and to avoid any further aggravation, I had to keep a low profile, some distance back from the ride - as well as limiting time in x-sector. Unfortunately that means some of the shots are slightly obscured.

After 5pm

Permission to share the above on any Alton Towers based forum, on the basis you link back to my name and TowersTimes.

DM me for any special usage.

Frown. Always.

AidanCKY
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 pm

hursty wrote:
Which, when the ride valleyed, the staff we're non too impressed with.
As a result, and to avoid any further aggravation, I had to keep a low profile, some distance back from the ride - as well as limiting time in x-sector.

The staff were very aggravated all day.

But I went right down to the temporary fence next to where it was stalled and chatted to a staff member for a good 30 minutes. Got to hear all the nuggets of information and the pain in the arse the ride was for all the staff!

Don't blame them - they were constantly bombarded with questions and abuse from customers all day - and they had to do a full day of work stood outside a broken ride!
Last edited by AidanCKY on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmileyMan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:21 pm

AidanCKY wrote:
hursty wrote:
As a result, and to avoid any further aggravation, I had to keep a low profile, some distance back from the ride - as well as limiting time in x-sector.

But I went right down to the temporary fence next to where it was stalled and chatted to a staff member for a good 30 minutes. Got to hear all the nuggets of information and the pain in the arse the ride was for all the staff!

Don't blame them - they were constantly bombarded with questions and abuse from customers all day - and they had to do a full day of work stood outside a broken ride!

What were they saying exactly?

AidanCKY
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 pm

SmileyMan wrote:
AidanCKY wrote:
hursty wrote:

Who?

Just the typical general public. Jumping over queue fences to get in, asking 101 questions about the rides status, then jumping back over the fences again.

hursty
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 pm

SmileyMan wrote:

NO PHOTOS!
Can you stop taking photos.
Etc.

Then they just kept an eye on us, waving whenever they spotted us, aggressively charging and shouting when they saw a camera.
Hence us (trying) to keep a low profile.

AidanCKY wrote:

I found them hostile.

AidanCKY wrote:

I was only describing how they behaved around us. The staff had a difficult job on their hands.
They were the ones who approached us and had a go
Last edited by hursty on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris-TT
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Some great shots hursty, if x-sector was that dead after 5 it seems highly unlikely that the ride reopened!

AidanCKY
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 pm

hursty wrote:
SmileyMan wrote:

NO PHOTOS!
Can you stop taking photos.
Etc.

Then they just kept an eye on us, waving whenever they spotted us, aggressively charging and shouting when they saw a camera.
Hence us (trying) to keep a low profile.

Thats wierd.

I took photos at the entrance without bother, and stood with 2 managers stood behind me and about 6 staff in front of me, filming the train being lifted off

hursty
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:42 pm

AidanCKY wrote:
Thats wierd.

I took photos at the entrance without bother, and stood with 2 managers stood behind me and about 6 staff in front of me, filming the train being lifted off

Were you using a compact camera, mobile phone or similar?

Unfortunately my gear is a little more imposing.

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:43 pm

astralAndy wrote:
Renoh wrote:
... but I want to defend myself. Last week I was given a hard time by a member (mikecloud1984) when I said that just because one train was seen leaving the ride, and that the ride was now working, it doesn't mean it's only a train issue (or a train issue at all for that matter).

... I stopped replying as it was a cyclic argument, so I am not trying to cause trouble. I would like it if mikecloud84 would just consider what we now know, and what he was saying last week.

You and me both, I have been almost totally put off throwing ideas out into the discussion now because they've hit that kind of brick wall - more than once. No give and take, not an inch of credit, just 'you are wrong' , as if anyone can know everything about the problems of The Smiler and how to rectify them, I'm happy to admit that I definitely don't! I was just starting to really enjoy being part of the forums too. After posting an idea I've been told I'm totally wrong, accused of blaming AT when I wasn't, been told I'm looking for a debate when I'm not, and then told "If you do not like people contesting your suggestions then I suggest you maybe not post on a discussion thread on a forum."

Nice! I feel really welcome now. ;)

I apologise if there was any misunderstanding.  It was never my intention to make anyone feel unwelcome.

Admit I may have come across as aggressive to yourwelf and to Renoh and for that I also apologise. 

I still believe my theory is correct, as well as the valkeying last week being caused by the train only. It may be because I am a naturally cynical fellow that I still doubt AT's statement today.

Again, I hope we can all move on with you both accepting my apology and we can go on to debate the one thing that brings us all here.

AidanCKY
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:45 pm

hursty wrote:
AidanCKY wrote:
Thats wierd.

Were you using a compact camera, mobile phone or similar?

Unfortunately my gear is a little more imposing.

Ah yeah, a phone. Your equipment must have intimidated them

JamieH93
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 am

sweedish2009 wrote:
If this biatch of a ride isn't running tomorrow morning I will be curling out a mr whippy on the teacups

Thats the most hilarious thing ive ever read :lol:

But genuinly they really need to get it together
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler