UK theme parks from another point of view!

gordon_mfc
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 am

Touch wood that its open for me going down on Tuesday. I can't wait to ride it. Hopefully I won't have to wait for hours either! Is there any news on oblivion... What is even wrong with it?

ilyAlton
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:39 am

Bit of an update I guess: The Smiler opened today before 10. They were testing for a while with no problems. It was running all day yesterday at about 90 mins queue apart from one point when there was a small issue, it was fixed in about 20 mins. I was on about the 2nd/3rd  public carraige today. What an absolutely fantastic ride.

Wedjie
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:51 am

gordon_mfc wrote:
Is there any news on oblivion... What is even wrong with it?

There is a separate topic for this - it is believed to be gearbox problems.

luke.eggerton
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 am

Wow ! What can I say ? I have truly been maraliased ! Got four rides on their yesterday. 3 with disabled and was randomly gave a card with a letter on and told to take it to the shop. Took it and they was like you've wont a ride straight away and was told to follow them and got back on the ride straight away ! Has that happened to anyone before ??? The ride was amazing. The entrance with the 3d mapping was ok, seemed a bit boring and also cramped with all disabled. I was on crutches and felt like I couldn't stand comfortable because of this. Once on we followed the steps up, to a bright station which was impressive ! I loved the begging with the lights etc and then the tunnel tipped it off ! The whole track was the best. At one point it did feel like we wasn't going to make it over the one loop just before vertical lift. I also noticed on my car was the cameras and a led green light appeared on, does this mean videos are coming soon ?.

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:14 am

luke.eggerton wrote:
Wow ! What can I say ? I have truly been maraliased ! Got four rides on their yesterday. 3 with disabled and was randomly gave a card with a letter on and told to take it to the shop. Took it and they was like you've wont a ride straight away and was told to follow them and got back on the ride straight away ! Has that happened to anyone before ??? The ride was amazing. The entrance with the 3d mapping was ok, seemed a bit boring and also cramped with all disabled. I was on crutches and felt like I couldn't stand comfortable because of this. Once on we followed the steps up, to a bright station which was impressive ! I loved the begging with the lights etc and then the tunnel tipped it off ! The whole track was the best. At one point it did feel like we wasn't going to make it over the one loop just before vertical lift. I also noticed on my car was the cameras and a led green light appeared on, does this mean videos are coming soon ?.

That LED is just to show that the restraints have locked into place

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 am

sully1311 wrote:
luke.eggerton wrote:

That LED is just to show that the restraints have locked into place

Yes, but the cameras whichever mentioned earlier...and now mentioned here does mean on ride video aside from the fact I was told about it

JayTricky
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Rode it for the first time today. Ill post my in depth review later, but i was impressed.

All I can say is my old man, who has been to Florida 5 times said at the brake run : "that was the best roller coaster I've ever been on!".

9 out of 10 from me. Only thing keeping it from a ten is the painful inversion coming out of the cobra roll. Lethal.

It was running very well today! I queued 50 minutes and I joined the line at 9:45!

Will1997
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:36 pm

What time do the ticket office open in the morning?

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
where about was the glass floor as I didnt see it yesterday?

I've not seen it but evidence suggest its near the/a way out of the shop.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Considering its been a while since the smiler opened now, the queues are still quite long daily! What do people think they'll be like in about 3 weeks??

undeadarmy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:04 pm

RCandrew wrote:
Considering its been a while since the smiler opened now, the queues are still quite long daily! What do people think they'll be like in about 3 weeks??

Ditto. I wanna know. I'm going 3rd July.

[email protected]$
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Ditto. I wanna know. I'm going 3rd July.
[/quote]

I'll see you there!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE

Joshysqaushy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm (probably) going on the 1st & 2nd of July  :D
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-R-f-2wp74
UPDATES: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37998&start=40

JayTricky
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:23 pm

I thought I'd share some pics. Apologies for the lack of quality, I only had my Galaxy S3 on me today.  :butt:

The little cousin was smiling already! He loved it!

Entering the main queue area. Quite a sight!

The Marmaliser - looks quite the thing.

I thought I'd share this image as it shows how 'caged in' some parts of the line are. Here you see the knot element through the mesh.

Apologies for the lighting but I thought it made it look quite sinister!

Some excellent photo points. Great ride!

Standard Alton Towers garden pic ^^

Bonus Ripsaw pic! Still as fun as ever!

Deejay
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:36 pm

TheOutpatient wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
where about was the glass floor as I didnt see it yesterday?

I've not seen it but evidence suggest its near the/a way out of the shop.

Thats right, it's at the shop exit! Unfortunately H&S says that it needs grip on it so its covered in little specks,  you can barely see through them. It'll have more impact at ScareFest when it's dark outside and the tunnel is pitch black! With the inside flasher going off that will be quite a treat!  :D

~EDIT~ Fantastic pics Jay, Thanks for sharing, you picked the best day for The Smiler so far!
Last edited by Deejay on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zazaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Guys - long time following, first time poster.

Was at the park today and after a 120 min queue most morning and into the afternoon, it came down to around 70 mins late in the day. I went single rider, and got on within I'd say 20 minutes. There was at least 1, if not 2, single riders per train. Rarely 3.

The ride ran smooth all day today, bar around 30 mins downtime late in the day.

Absolutely great ride, but do have some observations, which seem to be recurring issues. Firstly the screeching from the wheels is pretty alarming, and can be heard from pretty far away even when approaching the ride. Secondly I noticed the trains really struggle over some of the inversions, they almost seem to go slow motion! Thirdly, I was aware of all the on ride effects which were so hugely hyped & anticipated prior to the opening, but even whilst looking out for them I did not catch any of them! Lastly, the track seems pretty scuffed, but in a way that I do not think is meant to happen! Just seems too much scuffing for a ride that has barely been open to public 2 weeks!

I almost felt unsafe on the ride due to all the problems I know it is experiencing, and the screeching whilst on it did not add to me feeling this way! I know the ride is perfectly safe, but the thought just sticks to the back of your mind nonetheless

All in all, absolutely chuffed that I managed to ride it so soon after its opening. There were 5 of us, but our desire to ride it outweighed any benefit of queueing over an hour and sitting on the same train, so we all went single rider. I would hugely recommend people consider this, as all 5 of us got on in the space of 4 trains!
Last edited by zazaz on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveBear
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Well there are only three of those supposed Elements that interact with you.

The Flasher, which well i would not even say it flashes and has no effect at all just a light comes on thats not bright at all.

The Inoculator well this sprays you with Water but only the front row seems to get it.

The Giggler, well we see Myst Spray come out of the Arm but i never saw any smoke come from that area that actually hits the riders, but there is Smoke at the start so maybe they can pass that off as the Giggler laughing Gas in Action.

But at the end of the day, if it had all these supposed effects, having riden the Smiller, i dont think you would have noticed them a great deal, and they would have maybe had to be Synched and Timed Correct which would be hard with a Ride where the Trains are moving fast and through loop after loop, and each effect would also be another piece of Electronics and Mechanics that means more things to break down.

Even the Marmaliser Spider Thingy with what are just props you do not notice much while on the ride, well some may some wont....

But off ride it does set the pace and looks visually menacing and stunning.

Overall The Smiler is good, it is quite long but seems over so fast.... is it the best in the World or that i been on.... well nope you see 14 inversions does not make it a worlds best, i actually enjoyed the Hullk more as far as the Hulks first half, as the 2nd is lame..... The Smiler gives us a first half thats not as intense as the Hulk and a 2nd half that kind of for me nearly rivals it.....  but then the Smiler is longer and that makes up for it.

I would say its one of the most fun rides i been on in  the UK and one of the most intense and so when you combine those it is a great uk ride and a must for UK Roller Coaster Fans....

But still Oblivion is my favorite ride moment, not best ride over all because its only short but if we disect other rides and say the Smiler and break down each inversion on its own, or Th13teen and its free fall drop, than the Oblivion Drop is my favorite UK moment one of my Favs in the World.

I do wonder......... if only the first hill was launched and then right into a heartline roll like the Hulk and if only the vertical hill ended in either a Oblivion style Drop into a Tunnel or a Saw Style again into a Tunnel and i think the Smiler would have been well truly fantastic...

Mind you i dont have a favorite ride, i do have favorite moments from many rides and only dream of one ride that applies them all...

DaveBear
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Oh i will 2nd that comment i just made....

Having looked at the Vertical Climb.... just imagine if that was the same on other side but only a drop that steep that then went into the sea serpent roll, wow..... so yeah you would lose one inversion the inverted corkscrew drop but replaced with a steep drop like Oblivion.... oh well...

Sorry i just addicted to Oblivion Drops.... roll on next trip to Florida and Bush Gardens so i can sample Sheikra double Drop...  :lol:

gordon_mfc
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Where can I buy fastracks? And when does wherever you get em open?

pittster2013
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:30 am

Gordon, I think they are from the guest place on towers street. I'm guessing they open with the park.

I'm going tomorrow and after a couple I think, although we are happy to single ride so we may do that instead and save our money.

Does anyone know if the single rider queue is seperate from the main queue and opens when the ride opens?