UK theme parks from another point of view!

DanMcSUFC
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:15 am

Finally, the day has arrived..... Visiting Alton Towers & riding The Smiler!!! :D :D :D

Anyone got any tips? Noticed that the que time website ranges from 180 mins to 120 mins, and sometimes dropping into less than 80 mins... Was thinking about going round the rest of the park first, then leaving The Smiler for later on in the afternoon......? Considered that I don't have ERT & will be entering at normal park opening time, is this the best thing to do?

Thanks in advance.

Zach
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:04 am

DanMcSUFC wrote:
Finally, the day has arrived..... Visiting Alton Towers & riding The Smiler!!! :D :D :D

Anyone got any tips? Noticed that the que time website ranges from 180 mins to 120 mins, and sometimes dropping into less than 80 mins... Was thinking about going round the rest of the park first, then leaving The Smiler for later on in the afternoon......? Considered that I don't have ERT & will be entering at normal park opening time, is this the best thing to do?

Thanks in advance.

Even without ERT you can still queue for the smiler at 9am and be on and off by 10:10 depending how quickly u get to the queue at 9. Id suggest doing The smiler first and then proceeding to do the rest of the park as people are by 11 queuing for the The smiler so the rest of the queues tend to be very quiet especially the far ones such as nemesis. Hope ive helped a little :)
Oh! and....PREPARE TO BE CORRECTED!

DanMcSUFC
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 am

ATfanatic wrote:
DanMcSUFC wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Even without ERT you can still queue for the smiler at 9am and be on and off by 10:10 depending how quickly u get to the queue at 9. Id suggest doing The smiler first and then proceeding to do the rest of the park as people are by 11 queuing for the The smiler so the rest of the queues tend to be very quiet especially the far ones such as nemesis. Hope ive helped a little :)
Oh! and....PREPARE TO BE CORRECTED!

Cheers, problem is that I don't have ERT so will be getting in at 10am when the park opens... I'm here for 2 days anyway, so should be enough time to go round the park a few times I'm sure!

And I've been prepared for months now to be corrected! Cannot wait! :D

redpiggy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:51 am

Even without ERT you can still get in at 9am, you just can't ride anything!

Danny

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:41 am

If the queues are anything like they were yesterday, it really doesn't matter when you queue for The Smiler, seeing as it was at 30 minutes  :lol:

tbag23
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:19 pm

The smiler queue was only 30 minutes yesterday???

I would have thought with it being a scorching hot weekend day the park would have been rammed?

Michelle
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 pm

The Smiler queue was over 2 hours until around 1.30 but then dropped through the day. The park was really quiet compared to my expectations of the day, not really a single queue over 50mins all day - even for the water rides which baffled me!

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Evostance wrote:
Just got back today and the park was packed.  However despite this, I managed to get on almost everything without queuing more than 30 minutes (apart from The Smiler)

The Ride Time site isn't really that reflective of the times.  Many times throughout the day it said queues were 5 minutes when in fact they were 30.  At one point it said The Smiler queue was 90 minutes, when in fact it was closer to 250 (Out of the entrance, down to Enterprise and back up to the top of X-Sector)

Tip:  Get there for 9am when the gates open and go straight to The Smiler & start queuing.  You'll be relatively near the front and will get on in about 10-20 minutes when the rides open.

Then head straight to Nemesis, we walked on. 
Then to Air, walked on. 
Then to Ripsaw, walked on
Then to Nemesis ST, walked on
Then to Dual, walked on
Then to River Rapids, 10 minute queue
Then we went past Battle Galleons and soaked some people for 30 minutes as it was about 28c in the park today
Then to 13, took 30 minutes because it broke down
Grabbed lunch at Burger Kitchen,
Then Hex, walked on
Then Oblivion, 15 minutes,
Then The Smiler, 80 minutes
Back to Nemesis & Air where we walked on again.

250 mins!! In this heat?!! That's insane
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Lee James wrote:
The mist wasn't on today on the marmaliser. The theming is terrible enough, without turning off their only interactive element you experience on the ride :roll:

I know the Smiler is an amazing roller coaster but I am a little disappointed that the mist effects were not working, lets just hope it was a technical issue that stopped it working and not that they are just going to leave it off.
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanMcSUFC
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 pm

redpiggy wrote:
Even without ERT you can still get in at 9am, you just can't ride anything!

What, really?! I didn't know that!! I got into the park at 10am today and went straight to Nemesis and Air (rode air twice - once at the front, and Nemesis once — practically walked straight onto both!) Went on Sub-Terra (was unique to say the least!) and waited 45-60 mins for Rita and 13 (only real big queues I encountered with the exception of The Smiler..) Oblivion wasn't too long a queue, and by that time, The Smiler was down to 80 mins!! The Smiler verdict - Well worth every single millisecond of queue time! Refraining from a full on review here so I can post it later on, but it's fair to say that it's quickly becoming my favourite Rollercoaster I've ever ridden!

Got tomorrow to finish off the rest of the rides, huge thanks to everyone for their advice, much appreciated — looks like I'll be getting to Alton Towers tomorrow at 9am & sprinting to X-Sector to get in the queue for The Smiler!!! :D :D :D

Right, heading off this now as feeling well and truly marmalised!!!! Thanks again to everyone who replied with tips & advice, very much appreciated! Smile. Always. :moj :moj :moj :moj :moj :moj :moj :moj :moj :moj

TsungUK
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Yes I'd agree, done two days last week (Tuesday 9th / Wed 10th June) the best tactic is if you want to ride Smiler get in the park at 9am and go straight there to queue. After which, ignore Oblivion and go straight to other side of the park for instant walk-on (Air/Nemesis/Rita/13). We did this and waited about 1hr (before it started) 20mins (once running) to get on smiler. The queue time once we got off it was 120mins.

With 2 days; if you're not fussed about getting on Smiler straight away; one day just head to Nemesis / Air / Rita / 13 where you will pretty much walk on all morning. Hell I even queued for the front seat of Rita it was that quiet. Another tactic if your friends want to queue for smiler but it's not your cuppa tea... Go on Oblivion as there is no queue first thing I saw it run many times practically empty (but the queue quickly builds once Smiler is running).

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:44 pm

TsungUK wrote:
Yes I'd agree, done two days last week (Tuesday 9th / Wed 10th June) the best tactic is if you want to ride Smiler get in the park at 9am and go straight there to queue. After which, ignore Oblivion and go straight to other side of the park for instant walk-on (Air/Nemesis/Rita/13). We did this and waited about 1hr (before it started) 20mins (once running) to get on smiler. The queue time once we got off it was 120mins.

With 2 days; if you're not fussed about getting on Smiler straight away; one day just head to Nemesis / Air / Rita / 13 where you will pretty much walk on all morning. Hell I even queued for the front seat of Rita it was that quiet. Another tactic if your friends want to queue for smiler but it's not your cuppa tea... Go on Oblivion as there is no queue first thing I saw it run many times practically empty (but the queue quickly builds once Smiler is running).

On the day you don't ride the smiler (if you choose) this is the best idea! It's exactly what we did and we queues just for front row on rita and nemesis and done the front & back of thirteen just because there was no queue for nothing! 5 mins for rita was it!
Last edited by RCandrew on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ry1996
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 pm

If we queue for the smiler in ert on monday and then get on just after opening, should we go straight to Oblivion or head to the rest of the park for smaller queues as that's what i'v gathered to do?

Fish777
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 pm

I'd say go to the smaller queues to get more rides in.

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Evostance wrote:
I'm compiling all the queue time data and putting it into an app. 
Looking for helpers: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/coffee-s ... e/new/#new

Queue time for The Smiler today:

LUNCH TIME
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:48 pm

The smiler is 145 minutes which is I Believe the longest it has been for a while?
Also air is 90 and oblivion is 70, long queues!

Jevaaaans
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:25 pm

RCandrew wrote:
The smiler is 145 minutes which is I Believe the longest it has been for a while?

It was 165 mins around 11 today!

I'm going tomorrow, plan is to head straight there at 9

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 pm

Jevaaaans wrote:
RCandrew wrote:

Well exactly today has been its busiest day in a while haha, good luck!

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 pm

RCandrew wrote:
Jevaaaans wrote:
RCandrew wrote:

Well exactly today has been its busiest day in a while haha, good luck!

Today was the prime day for school trips, it may actually be quieter tomorrow for the final day of term.

Alex Tyler
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Is there a need to have all 5 trains on at once?  with 5 trains on we wait on the transfer track and again just inside the station which I think is too much waiting, if there was 4 trains on we would only have to wait just inside the station.