UK theme parks from another point of view!

LaurenceGough
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Please be ready for the sizzler event!!!

I am already very disappointed that I missed it the first time round... Another 300+ miles to miss it again, no thanks :(.

Just cable tie it together and let me on... Heavy duty ties of course!  :lol:
Assume the position...

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Apparently it's been on TV because of the bolt...Merlin must be having a nightmare atm because of customer worry's

Mark.aa
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Crane was there again all day today,
this time they were grinding the track joint smooth with angle grinder with soft pad .
working on section of track above covered q line,
on parts of track rail the wheels run on only(top side bottom)
Speculation only,
May be a slight misalignment of track causing wheels to bump over the joint ,possibly vibrating bolts and cause damage to wheels.
Did notice somebody in the pit working on lowest section of track closest to shop exit,
Looks like they have glued 2 sensors on the cross spar of track ,small grey wires leading off some ware .
(Possibly vibrations sensors?) to see which parts of track vibrate?there may be more else ware too?
May be open in few days after testing again but did hear Saturday mentioned!
Staff just say closed due to technical reasons(scripted)hopefully tomorrow.
Then rumours of testing. When guests have left.
Hotel and guest service say they will only know after tech service have done morning testing each day if it will be running
So fingers crossed but was closed for the 3days I was there,may come back later this year.

Mark.aa
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:22 pm

temleh wrote:
"For every bolt of the new Smiler ride that falls, a member of your family - will die." ;)

This time they will use thread lock and lock wire instead of chains to hold it up, :D

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Well, this has ruined rollercoasters for my friends. We were at thorpe park for our school trip. People were saying they are unsafe and will fall down. :( I tried explaining but people are ignorant. In the queue for colossus... Oh someone was hit on the head with a wheel. :roll: Also people slagging off how the park deals with things like this. saying. "I could have died". Thats why there is the mesh. But it is the park, gerstauler and the external company who did the footers fault. :|
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97

LaurenceGough
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Mark.aa wrote:
temleh wrote:
"For every bolt of the new Smiler ride that falls, a member of your family - will die." ;)

This time they will use thread lock and lock wire instead of chains to hold it up, :D

Maybe they use threadlock but for motorcycle racing everything has to be safety wired as well - strange that they don't do it for coasters. On a number of occasions I have found lose bolts, such as on The Slammer, and on Stealth (bolts fell out on seatbelt harness).
Assume the position...

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:03 am

I have a to disagree completely with people saying the General Public and press are whipping hysteria about this. Look at it this way:

A Bolt fell from the track. Yes a bolt! That should NEVER happen, especially within its first 3 months of operating.

If you look at it from the GP's viewpoint, the ride was closed on it's press launch, it's been repeatedly closed because of stalling, and now a bolt has fallen from the track. If you're not into roller coasters, you can see why you'd have some trepidation visiting the park. Towers have had a bad launch with this coaster, and i'd feel sorry for them, if it wasn't for their tight lipped policy on PR. Sometimes they bring it on themselves  :roll:
Last edited by Lee on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:58 am

I personally think that if a bolt falls of them that's the workmen's fault, as harsh as it sounds, that is true, if a bold falls off that easily, then the workmen should be blamed...sorry if any of them read the forum :)

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:14 am

Just sick and tired of people asking when the ride will re-open  :roll: it will re - open when they have obviously sorted this  part of track and tested it (many many times.)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:45 am

MartyMcFry wrote:
Myself and 9 members of my family have pre-booked hotels and parks tickets for this friday and saturday. we are coming specifically to ride the smiler so although this situation sucks i just wanna thank everyone on this site and thread for keeping us all updated.

Some of the team are staying Friday & Saturday night in the hotel so feel free to come over and say hi.

OptimaX
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:03 am

I can confirm that a train was going about 20 mins ago. I guess they are testing. Maybe it opens again later today. As soon as i know more i will post it here.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:06 am

OptimaX wrote:
I can confirm that a train was going about 20 mins ago. I guess they are testing. Maybe it opens again later today. As soon as i know more i will post it here.

If you could put some photo's up too, that would be fab ;)

JAMMYD777
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:11 am

Looking at tweets with #altontowers on twitter, it appears The Smiler will be opening today. A queue has been allowed to build and The Marmaliser effects are switched on. Maybe it was a simple fix after all.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:29 am

JAMMYD777 wrote:
Looking at tweets with #altontowers on twitter, it appears The Smiler will be opening today. A queue has been allowed to build and The Marmaliser effects are switched on. Maybe it was a simple fix after all.

[spoiler]Like picking the screw back up when no one was looking and screwing it back in place?[/spoiler] :lol:

OptimaX
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:47 am

Last edited by OptimaX on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danny

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:49 am

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:52 am

Danny wrote:

Great news, bring on Saturday!! :joy:

Wedjie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:29 am

I find it more worrying that it's opened quickly, because it means they have just repaired the broken piece.
I'd be happier if it was closed for a week or two, as that would suggest they investigated into WHY it happened and have done a long-term repair rather than just sticking it back together and hoping it won't happen again.

I think the second is definitely what AT need to do. Because if anything else goes wrong with this ride then there will be a big problem.

Martin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:37 am

Smiler closed
People moan
Smiler open
People moan
Sometimes you just can't win.
I'm sure H & S would have been involved and given full permission to AT to start the Smiler running again.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!

Cookie Monster
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:15 pm

its good its open i'm going on the TTF meet and this will be my 3rd attempt to get on the smiler  :moj