UK theme parks from another point of view!

a11mark
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:05 pm

Ive seen a couple of tweets saying the smiler is closed due to subsidence.

Could be a rumor, or could be the reason ive not seen one single enginer on the smiler today

davey_will1980
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:16 pm

The lack of any information is starting to feel a little ominous, normally by now we've got a reasonable guess / info from someone within the park as to why a ride is experiencing some down time, really hoping that it isn't a major problem, especially hoping that the post that someone had overheard a staff member commenting that the same bolt has gone again is inaccurate.

Kirsty25

Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:24 pm

At the moment there seems to be very few details, and few people on the park to find out with our team having the meet at the weekend. Hopefully some information will begin trickling out from people visiting soon though.

gddevey1012
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:19 pm

2 weeks to my visit hope it's not subsidence that is major !!!!!

Friedchickenman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:55 pm

doctorjamie wrote:
It closed last night and had "technical difficulties" at about 1740, a few more trains went around until about 1800, then nothing for 10mins, then they announced it was closed, as I was leaving the queue line I passed a member of staff whose radio mentioned "the exact same bolt has gone yet again".

You didn't hear this as its nothing related to the track itself or the bolt.

Don't talk out of your arse.

Friedchickenman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:56 pm

davey_will1980 wrote:
The lack of any information is starting to feel a little ominous, normally by now we've got a reasonable guess / info from someone within the park as to why a ride is experiencing some down time, really hoping that it isn't a major problem, especially hoping that the post that someone had overheard a staff member commenting that the same bolt has gone again is inaccurate.

Nothing relating to any bolts ;)

JMR
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:00 pm

Yesterday they had no theme music playing, today they did, along with the marmaliser effects. Hoping it will open tomorrow :D

sent from my iPod

a11mark
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 pm

Friedchickenman wrote:
davey_will1980 wrote:
The lack of an information is starting to feel a little ominous, normally by now we've got a reasonable guess / info from someone within the park as to why a ride is experiencing some down time, really hoping that it isn't a major problem, especially hoping that the post that someone had overheard a staff member commenting that the same bolt has gone again is inaccurate.

Nothing relating to any bolts ;)

I agree if it was a bolt you'd off seen engineers all over it, but I didnt see anyone go near it today. Its almost as if alton towers cant do anything about it (whatever the problem is) and looking for who to blame/fix it/get compensated from.

Senator
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:10 am

Well... Don't we love immature people... I was about to see if The Smiler's most resent ride trouble had been added on Wikipedia only to discover that it had been reverted to the SW7 Wikipedia site dating back in November!! Luckily though its been changed to its original state xD just a little more moaning about the smiler xD

Also to stay on topic, Do you think Merlin is going to go with Gerstlauer again? After The Smiler and all.... Also what's the likely hood it will be open on 11/12th of August?

Thanks NickiFan

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:38 am

The Smiler will be closed all day again today.

Source: Towers Street twitter

Senator
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:58 am

There is a little brat who keeps changing the smiler wiki page -_- !!

Thanks NickiFan

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:01 am

The fact that AT management are being so tight-lipped about this is worrying.

This is the third consecutive day that The Smiler has been closed, yet there is no mention of it on the website, questions on Facebook and Twitter are also being ignored. I was browsing tweets earlier with #TheSmiler and a lot of people are visiting today with the intention of riding it, I can't imagine how disappointed they'll be when they arrive and see that it's closed, with no explanation.

This "strategy" of keeping quiet can only hurt Alton Towers in the long run, as a lot of disappointed people will look elsewhere for a day out in future.

All it would take is a simple message along the lines of "Due to unforeseen technical issues The Smiler will be closed until further notice"

People could then potentially rearrange their trips for when it is operational and Towers long term image would be protected.

Hari
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 am

I AM SO P*SSED OFF NOW... I WENT ONCE ON 25TH-27TH MAY STAYING AT THE HOTEL FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND IT WAS CLOSED THEN! GOING ON 3RD AUGUST AND ITS PROBS GONNA BE CLOSED AGAIN! I HATE MY LIFE!
Does anyone think that it might be open?  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(
NR

gddevey1012
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am

nicksy111 wrote:
The fact that AT management are being so tight-lipped about this is worrying.

This is the third consecutive day that The Smiler has been closed, yet there is no mention of it on the website, questions on Facebook and Twitter are also being ignored. I was browsing tweets earlier with #TheSmiler and a lot of people are visiting today with the intention of riding it, I can't imagine how disappointed they'll be when they arrive and see that it's closed, with no explanation.

This "strategy" of keeping quiet can only hurt Alton Towers in the long run, as a lot of disappointed people will look elsewhere for a day out in future.

All it would take is a simple message along the lines of "Due to unforeseen technical issues The Smiler will be closed until further notice"

People could then potentially rearrange their trips for when it is operational and Towers long term image would be protected.

I have to say i completely agree with the above, i am planning a visit for the 18th-19th of this month and the fact that there is no announcement yet is worrying me therefore i will not be pre-ordering my tickets (not that this should bother towers as gate price is more expensive) however what worrys me is reading the reports of what went on last week and now ongoing i have to say it sounds serious !

a simple tweet or post on there FB page would help sort this out so fast. 

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:55 am

Hari wrote:
I AM SO P*SSED OFF NOW... I WENT ONCE ON 25TH-27TH MAY STAYING AT THE HOTEL FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND IT WAS CLOSED THEN! GOING ON 3RD AUGUST AND ITS PROBS GONNA BE CLOSED AGAIN! I HATE MY LIFE!
Does anyone think that it might be open?  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

lets hope so
I broke down last time I tried to go
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Friedchickenman
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Senator wrote:
Well... Don't we love immature people... I was about to see if The Smiler's most resent ride trouble had been added on Wikipedia only to discover that it had been reverted to the SW7 Wikipedia site dating back in November!! Luckily though its been changed to its original state xD just a little more moaning about the smiler xD

Also to stay on topic, Do you think Merlin is going to go with Gerstlauer again? After The Smiler and all.... Also what's the likely hood it will be open on 11/12th of August?

Gerstlauer didnt consturct the thing, contractors did and its there fault its not open at the end of the day.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Only if its a ride malfunction can Gerst be to blame

ATJordan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm going tomorrow and I'm really annoyed that the smilers not open. And now nemesis is closed, probably only temporarily. But I'll be so so angry if both are closed  :evil:

Benji
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Netting has been placed around the top end of the site - the toilet block area.

[credit to Towers Street]
Last edited by Benji on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Why could this be?