UK theme parks from another point of view!

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:22 pm

I dont think any of this 'projecting your face onto the marmaliser' will happen, as they cant moderate all the pictures. People will undoubtabley put their middle finger up or vomit over the camera or something, which obviously cant be shown on the marmaliser for all to see.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:36 am

danny.g97 wrote:
Just found out I won the Krave challenge and have 4 tickets and unlimited fast tracks to the smiler!! Couldn't believe it but just wondered if anyone else on here has been lucky to win?
I have had a lot of luck with that competition! More than enough! But it would be nice to win the VIP comp!

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:37 pm

If there is one thing i feel TheSmiler needs is more of a narrative. As from many people they fail to understand what Marmalisation is - I think maybe some clips from the Sanc video would work, Explaining the old methods and that you are about to experience the new methods. Plus is the HAHAHA tunnel, why not some manic kelman voices. "LET GO OF YOUR SENSES, ACCEPT MARMALISTION, ALLOW YOUR BODY AND MIND TO CONFORM TO THE MINISTRY OF JOY- SMILE ALWAYS!" BEGIN THE CORRECTION! and on to the lift, Like many have said it seems to be missing a trick, Yes the MOJ are mysterious but they do need to be explained.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

pleaty
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:38 pm

We are hoping to get down sometime between 9th-11th September which is the first week after the schools go back, does anyone have any idea or experience of what the queues will be like at that time of the year especially as I am yet to ride the smiler.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:41 pm

When I visited yesterday, the mist on the despatch sequence was in full effect. This was the first time I have seen it working and it adds just a little bit extra to the atmosphere.

My only issue with it is is that instead of it being a wall of mist like depicted in the game, it was blowing more over the car, then being sent back down the station when the car leaves, for those that have seen it before is that how it has always been?

youarecorrectsir
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm off to get my first taste of The Smiler tomorrow! About time...

By any chance does anyone still have a 50% off fast track prices or anything like that before I make up my mind? Typical student eh? Anything to save a bit of dosh! Cheers all
"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"

N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:38 pm

nicksy111 wrote:
My only issue with it is is that instead of it being a wall of mist like depicted in the game, it was blowing more over the car, then being sent back down the station when the car leaves, for those that have seen it before is that how it has always been?

Yes. It floats around the station ceiling, not down onto the riders. Still looks cool though  :D

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Ripsaw Raver wrote:
...Yes the MOJ are mysterious but they do need to be explained.

The signs on the entrance to X-Sector have been changed since The Smiler's opening, and offer a little more insight into TMOJ, with regards to what they do and have been doing in X-Sector.

However, I agree that there is the potential for things such as marmalisation to be better explained whilst queuing for The Smiler. Perhaps they could incorporate it into the app, and have AR codes which when scanned take guests to things like the 4 Miles Cedars videos etc.

JMR
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm sorry to say that The Smiler was closed today at 16:45 for 'technical issues'. Was there today, many people dissapointed after having been told to leave the que after a 110 minute wait. :(

lucy2244
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:21 pm

JMR wrote:
I'm sorry to say that The Smiler was closed today at 16:45 for 'technical issues'. Was there today, many people dissapointed after having been told to leave the que after a 110 minute wait. :(

I was also there today and in the single rider queue as it happened, we were at the station and got told (after about a 30 minute wait after being told about technical difficulties) that the queue was to be evacuated, we got a free fast-track for any other 1.4m ride (the Smiler not listed though) for the wait. Many people where still not happy and the amount of people at guest services was enormous. As always these days :D

Also, even when the Smiler was working the strobe that I said had been put in, was not working. Typical Smiler.
Thanks to Lewis97 :)

roy h
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm glad I managed to get on first thing this morning. It was the only chance I have had this summer to get to Alton. I like the way the track is close as you queue up and you get a feel for the ride. I also feel that it's a great replacement for the black hole (shame we can not have both). I loved it from start to finish and I'm still smiling now.
Last edited by roy h on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

youarecorrectsir
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 pm

I was extremely lucky. Today was my first ride on the Smiler. I was with a group of muggles (non-enthusiasts) who did not care for a 2 hour queue. Luckily I had the foresight to buy us all Smiler fast tracks for 4 o'clock in the hope of skipping everyone as they finished lunch. This did mean however, I was denied the chance to ride it multiple times; but I am a patient man.

Anyhow I wont bore you with my review (which I will post shortly in the correct section after), but bloody hell. Loved it! We left the exit and the cars stopped emerging from the station literally 1 train after us.

I'd done it. I'd beaten the Smiler's reliability problems! Cutting it very fine might I add.

Can I just say: I would feel sorry for those in the queue when it closed had they not all jumped ship to Rita with their priority passes, which I had been queuing normally for for 30 mins!!  :x

Anyway, great ride. A little bumpy, but fantastic. Shame it's closed again!
"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:04 am

In my opinion, if you've never been on The Smiler, it is better to queue up right away for it.

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:50 am

sully1311 wrote:
In my opinion, if you've never been on The Smiler, it is better to queue up right away for it.
Im going with my mate we wont get there until about 9:45 so no ert is booked should we head straight to the smiler or get a fastracks. Any help is appreciated as it is my only chance this year to ride it.

Note-we dont mind queuing single rider or buying fastracks
Image credit to Lewis97

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 am

DrReeve wrote:
sully1311 wrote:
Im going with my mate we wont get there until about 9:45 so no ert is booked should we head straight to the smiler or get a fastracks. Any help is appreciated as it is my only chance this year to ride it.

Note-we dont mind queuing single rider or buying fastracks

Well, as non-ERT guests are held back at Battle Galleons, and even guests with ERT aren't allowed into that side of the park until 10, there isn't the chance for such a long to form

maliluph
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 am

Smiler closed all day today :-(

Senator
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:57 am

The Smiler is CLOSED

Thanks NickiFan

Danny

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 am

Is anybody else unable to see the message regarding the closure on the website? Or maybe for an unforeseen reason it's been removed...

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:14 am

I've just been in the website and it doesn't say it there.
Last edited by Danny on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senator
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 am

danny.g97 wrote:
I've just been in the website and it doesn't say it there.

They've only just removed it,it was on when I checked

Thanks NickiFan