UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Danny
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2500
Joined: February 2013
Location: Essex

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:51 am

I tweeted last night and they said they hope to get it open for some point today but we all know how unpredictable it can be…
 
Danny

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:21 pm

According to a spokeswomen in the following BBC article, a guest was hit by one of the bearings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-24794468
 
User avatar
Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 2730
Joined: May 2013
Location: Warwickshire

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Personally I don't see how this latest closure can have a quick fix. If, as the BBC article claims, a guest was hit by the falling parts, there are going to be serious health and safety issues that need to be addressed before AT can even think about re-opening the ride.

It is interesting to see this quote in the BBC article:
"A full investigation is on going before we determine whether to re-open the ride.

"We are sorry for any disappointment the ride's temporary closure caused our visitors but the health and safety of all of our visitors is our absolute priority."


I realise that news reports do sometimes mis-quote, but this would appear to suggest that the ride will not be opening any time soon. Yes it is disappointing, however I would much rather go on a coaster that is 100% safe.
Image
Image
Image
 
aircanman
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 90
Joined: March 2012

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Would be interesting to know what those actually are, they do look like bearings but the AT representative said they were guide wheels. This sort of thing just shouldn't happen.
 
User avatar
Luce
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1751
Joined: February 2005
Location: Sussex

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:45 pm

I agree with Ladyofthelake, I think it would be better to have the ride closed for the rest of the season and then while the park is closed over the winter, this and any other issues can be fully sorted in time for the start of the new one next year.
Image
 
User avatar
TomL
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 300
Joined: November 2012
Location: Wirral
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:30 pm

I personally think Alton Towers will try and get The Smiler open for Fireworks weekend however I think they won't push because this is actually quite serious incident which will reach other news channels/papers soon and might give the park a decreased reputation for safety although they have such a good track record with ride safety. I can definitely see The Smiler to be closed for the majority of the week.

It is really disappointing news and I hope the person involved is okay now. I feel sorry for AT after spending £18m with a burden for the season! I hope Gerstlauer and Alton Towers get these problems fixed for the next season



EDIT

It's now appeared on Sky News http://news.sky.com/story/1163263/alton-towers-shuts-smiler-after-wheels-fall-off



EDIT

It looks like news has spread very soon!
itv news | Daily Star | Derby Telegraph | Ibc | Stoke Sentinel

To name a few...
Last edited by TomL on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
sully1311
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 2010

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Just close the ride until next year. It's obviously not in a fit state to operate. There's just been way too many serious problems with it.
 
aircanman
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 90
Joined: March 2012

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:34 pm

sully1311 wrote:
Just close the ride until next year. It's obviously not in a fit state to operate. There's just been way too many serious problems with it.


This seems to be a little unfair to say, if you were going next week would you say close it then?  I think for the people who have booked to go over the last week or so would have wanted to see the smiler open.
 
sully1311
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 2010

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:52 pm

aircanman wrote:
sully1311 wrote:
Just close the ride until next year. It's obviously not in a fit state to operate. There's just been way too many serious problems with it.


This seems to be a little unfair to say, if you were going next week would you say close it then?  I think for the people who have booked to go over the last week or so would have wanted to see the smiler open.


Obviously I would be annoyed it was closed (it stalled on my first visit!), but this is a matter of people seriously getting injured now.

Seriously, bits are breaking apart, this is absolutely ridiculous!
Last edited by sully1311 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 247
Joined: April 2012
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Realistically, even though we're talking about Merlin here, Alton should be praying and thankful for the closed season, that way they can get a good timely look at the problems, and will have plenty of time to rectify whatever's the matter (which from this season appears to be a great deal.....)
Image
 
upgraiden
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 7
Joined: June 2012
Location: Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:55 pm

I'd rather they closed it for the remainder of the season than risk the safety of everyone who dares ride it. It's clearly got some serious issues and I personally wouldn't feel safe going on it until they've sorted them.
 
aircanman
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 90
Joined: March 2012

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:59 pm

upgraiden wrote:
I'd rather they closed it for the remainder of the season than risk the safety of everyone who dares ride it. It's clearly got some serious issues and I personally wouldn't feel safe going on it until they've sorted them.


I completely agree, but in my opinion, in 2013 with technology being advanced as it is, how can this sort of thing even happen?  Remember when they had to close it in order to fit this netting and queue area protection?  Everyone moaned about it then, without this netting, there could have been fatalities on the ground from these wheels/bearings.  Merlin need to get Gerstlauers butts up there pronto and make sure they get it sorted once and for all. 
 
User avatar
Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 377
Joined: February 2012
Location: Wishing I was in Orlando
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:03 pm

This is what happens when things are rushed. I blame AT over Gerst as AT put out a ridiculous time frame on the opening of this ride, that's why it's been plagued with problems since day one. They could have had a fantastic ride on their hands but because they couldn't be patient they now have a hunk of junk and potential death trap, way to go AT.
 
Kirsty25

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:28 pm

I am going next week for fireworks... am I bothered that The Smiler may be closed for the duration - not really, I would far rather they get the issues sorted for next season than rush to open it for fireworks!
 
Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 375
Joined: March 2011

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm not defending the integrity of this ride, because lets face it, its a mess but...

Alton Towers Shuts Smiler After Wheels Fall Off


Really? There's a fine line between sensationalism and full blown lying.
Average Joe public is going to give that headline one glance and assume the ride has lost its wheels mid-run and derailed and killed thousands of people. Is it even legal to do that? 
 
 
Kirsty25

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:55 pm

Jammydodger wrote:
I'm not defending the integrity of this ride, because lets face it, its a mess but...

Alton Towers Shuts Smiler After Wheels Fall Off


Really? There's a fine line between sensationalism and full blown lying.
Average Joe public is going to give that headline one glance and assume the ride has lost its wheels mid-run and derailed and killed thousands of people. Is it even legal to do that?

flufmyhamster224 wrote:


Looking at that it isn't lying - Wheels did fall off the ride, arguably it is sensationalist, but guide wheels fell off and no doubt about it hit guests of the park - pretty serious to be honest. Anyone who reads the articles flying around will see that thousands weren't killed.
 
2pints
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 20
Joined: September 2012

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:03 pm

Just spotted this story on the BBC, reading into it a little more aren't these just guide wheels that keep the lift chain ruining smoothly inside its channel?
How long before this gets warped and repeated as the wheels fall off the coaster, as in the final destination film?
 
User avatar
Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2006
Location: Chesterfield

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:16 pm

I love it how people kick off in here when it breaks down, I remember when it opened late earlier in the year, people in here kicked off then moaning that it wasn't open, I just think folk like to kick off  :)

It seems these days its a blame game, I'm sure Towers will sort a lot of problems in the closed season.
Last edited by Balb0wa on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 250
Joined: January 2013
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Despite all of these problems I would still ride it if it opened tomorrow. Rides these days are extremely safe, and obviously AT cannot in any circumstances open a ride if it is unsafe. There is literally a 1 in 300 MILLION chance you will die on a roller coaster (true fact bro). This is only on major, serious incidents, of course, but still, I very much trust the ride mechanisms and engineering, from restraints locking to de-railing.






And also because I love The Smiler and I would ride it all day if I could.  ;)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests